Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 01:46 PM

292 posts, read 365,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
They are no more out of line with pay and benefits across the state than her salary. $250K per annum, until this past January when it increased to $400K (base salary). Add to that the bonuses of $65K a year, and other perks, and she's bringing in around $486K a year. Compare that to other city managers in the state and get back to us with your analysis.
She's worth it. City has a triple A bond rating that saves us millions. We are the largest city in the country that can claim that.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:34 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,373,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone Read View Post
She's worth it. City has a triple A bond rating that saves us millions. We are the largest city in the country that can claim that.

So she's worth a salary and benefits package that far out paces city managers in other U.S cities, but the SAPD should just agree with pay and benefits cuts?

Old 09-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,158,324 times
Quote:
So she's worth a salary and benefits package that far out paces city managers in other U.S cities, but the SAPD should just agree with pay and benefits cuts?
If she was the best quarterback in the NFL, no fan of her team would bat an eye at the fact she was the highest paid player in the league. The post you replied to is an indicator that she is the best city manager of a large city in the country.

The choice you've set up is a false dichotomy. The city budget is over $2 Billion a year. It covers a lot more than police benefits. The city manager is responsible for the operation of almost everything that budget pays for. I don't want a job responsible for so much money and so many moving parts to be done by the low bidder and I don't get why other people seem to want that. Is it jealousy? Is it tightfistedness? Help us understand.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:39 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,449,971 times
Quote:
Absolutely, maybe if SAPD could achieve a lower per capita crime rate there would be room for talk. Not only that but we need to start thinking as public safety departments in general as just government jobs and quit treating them with unearned and undeserved reverence.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:00 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,799,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
If she was the best quarterback in the NFL, no fan of her team would bat an eye at the fact she was the highest paid player in the league. The post you replied to is an indicator that she is the best city manager of a large city in the country.

The choice you've set up is a false dichotomy. The city budget is over $2 Billion a year. It covers a lot more than police benefits. The city manager is responsible for the operation of almost everything that budget pays for. I don't want a job responsible for so much money and so many moving parts to be done by the low bidder and I don't get why other people seem to want that. Is it jealousy? Is it tightfistedness? Help us understand.
I agree she is worth what she is getting paid. She had done good things for this city. I think it is difficult to please people that are used to hefty pay, pension and benefit plans that very few people outside of government jobs get and that is what she is facing with the police right now. It is just trimming the excess fat to help the budget of the city.

If she truly did have the police (as reported in news) clean up her area exclusively, then I don't agree with that and she made a mistake doing so. Just my opinion. Hopefully this is just an one time incident.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:06 PM

292 posts, read 365,346 times
Quote:
The pay and benefit cuts that are being proposed still put them far above other City workers. When you look at the top paid city employees list that came out in the Express News recently, the vast majority are in public safety. There are police officers that made more than the recently departed Health Department Director, and he was an MD. In what world should a deputy police chief make more that a doctor? I hear the argument that they risk their lives and it's a valid one. They do deserve to make a decent living, but not at the rate that what we currently pay them. If risking your life is the reason they get what they do, then why don't people in the military make more?

Old 09-17-2015, 05:28 PM

1,042 posts, read 882,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone Read View Post
If this is the truth, then yes, she's worth it.

If you want the best, you pay for the best. She's doing well for this city.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:38 AM

733 posts, read 1,048,981 times
Quote:
They are no more out of line with pay and benefits across the state than her salary. $250K per annum, until this past January when it increased to $400K (base salary). Add to that the bonuses of $65K a year, and other perks, and she's bringing in around $486K a year. Compare that to other city managers in the state and get back to us with your analysis.
city managers = / = police officers.

they have WAY more to do and plan out than your average beat officer.

comparing the 2 is silly.

Quote:
yes, now stop complaining. you sound like an upset SAPD officer. simple fact is SAPD salaries are far out of line with the rest of the police departments. time to go on a diet SAPD!

Old 09-19-2015, 08:31 PM

268 posts, read 358,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post

Thank you Bo, well said.
She had a record of doing her job well, and city council approved her salary. People just love to hate and all she did was accept the job.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,974,954 times
Quote:
I work for a public agency and I sure wish I didn't have to pay almost $900 month for my families health insurance plan. Free health insurance for the WHOLE family! Woohooo!

And I hope she sweeps the homeless away from the 7-11 downtown also. That place is full of shady characters going up to women, families, tourists, and downtown workers just trying to get a cup of coffee or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio