Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:01 PM

432 posts, read 523,951 times

Advertisements

Looks like the pipeline builder is making some news (yesterday). Looking for some investors to get this thing going.

Wonder if this will be an echo of some of the San Antonio / Oscar Wyatt excitement some decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 05:58 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve807 View Post
Looks like the pipeline builder is making some news (yesterday). Looking for some investors to get this thing going.
I was more than a little dismayed by that news about the winning bidder seeking investors to avoid bankruptcy. If SAWS invests heavily in the project, they'll be taking the risk on it and that changes the equation about the ultimate cost of the water it produces.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:22 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,411,790 times
Am I the only one that smells something fishy?

Old 02-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Am I the only one that smells something fishy?
The European vendor underbid the contract and is now in financial trouble. It would take years to re-do the RFP process to go with a different vendor and a different water source. I don't know if I'd call it "fishy," but maybe "foolhardy" or "shortsighted." The SAWS people may have even seen this coming, but could do little to prevent it. Government is often handcuffed into accepting the low bid on projects, even if it's unrealistically low.

It'd be fishy if they hadn't accepted the low bidder and had accepted a bid from a company owned by someone with ties to members of the council.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:53 PM

There will be more years of smell on this deal.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The European vendor underbid the contract and is now in financial trouble. It would take years to re-do the RFP process to go with a different vendor and a different water source. I don't know if I'd call it "fishy," but maybe "foolhardy" or "shortsighted." The SAWS people may have even seen this coming, but could do little to prevent it. Government is often handcuffed into accepting the low bid on projects, even if it's unrealistically low.

It'd be fishy if they hadn't accepted the low bidder and had accepted a bid from a company owned by someone with ties to members of the council.

There was probably a provision for a bidder to be viable in the bid and the lowest bidder can be disqualified.I see this as a $$$$$ sinkhole.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:32 AM

European vendors mean lots of fun and exotic travel for local contract monitors. It's not a bad deal for everyone.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve807 View Post
European vendors mean lots of fun and exotic travel for local contract monitors. It's not a bad deal for everyone.

I forget. Is BOONDOGGLE, one or two words?

Old 02-18-2016, 04:29 PM

Should be back on track as soon as the vendor sells an 80% interest in the project (of course the devil is in the details, depends on Abengoa's commitment as a 20% minority pipeline builder/operator):

Before joining City Council, I had long pushed for a water project large enough to help accommodate our City's inevitable growth and ensure its prosperity for decades to come. The Vista Ridge pipeline is that project. My vote for the pipeline was the most important one I've taken in my three years on Council.

The Council's decision in October 2014 was unanimous. So was our vote last October to raise SAWS rates in part to begin preparations for the project. Nobody on Council was just hoping for the best with this $3.4-billion agreement. We knew the contract that SAWS had worked out with Abengoa put the risk on the contractor, not the utility or the City.

Now, with Abengoa in a financial crisis that could force the company into bankruptcy reorganization, the contract is being tested. And it's proving to be resilient.

The agreement allows Abengoa to sell a portion of the project to another investor, subject to approval by SAWS.

Abengoa says it is now looking to sell an 80-percent stake in the pipeline. Given the high quality of this investment - with the creditworthy SAWS as the guaranteed buyer of the water - I am confident it will attract investment banking firms and investor groups with financial strength. Once Abengoa selects the strongest proposal and SAWS Trustees amend the contract, the uncertainty and concerns will most likely evaporate and the pipeline will be built.

In October 2014, Council explicitly handed the responsibility of ratifying contract amendments to SAWS Trustees. Council has already unanimously endorsed Vista Ridge twice. I see no reason for Council to now interfere with SAWS's administration of the contract, though my colleagues and I will insist on detailed reports as this project progresses.

I firmly believe that, in the years to come, we will look back on the decision to undertake this project as a wise one.

Sincerely,
Joe Krier, District 9 City Council

Old 03-05-2016, 06:02 AM

Pipeline builder, through nonprofit, seeks $885 million state loan - San Antonio Express-News

Another Tool in the Tool Box???

Or more correctly, are we being 'TOOLED"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio