Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 05:10 PM

952 posts, read 2,635,676 times

Advertisements

anyone know what zip codes have been affected by the increase of the rates? All those in 78254 so far - myself included have been affected. We are a family of four; and what used to be an average $55 a month water bill has now turned to a $80 water bill. Water usage is about the same.

When i signed the petition; i asked what good it will do; 50-50 chance of them closing the project if they have enough signatures. But not sure that will happen. I have now had to re-budget my expenses to allow at least $80 for water bill every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 05:46 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Apparently, we just cannot have enough water so rates will continue upward.

SAWS stores record amount of water, desal plant nears completion

http://www.ksat.com/news/saws-desali...h-construction

Quote:
Salty, brackish water will be filtered, producing an estimated 12 million gallons per day. That would create water for an additional 40,000 families, according to SAWS. An important factor as San Antonio grows at a rapid rate. It is also the reason SAWS believed it was vital to secure future resources of water before prices rise.
"We need to be aggressive enough, progressive enough, visionary enough to go find that water today," said Guerra.
Quote:
With both facilities providing water for San Antonio, some have asked why the proposed Vista Ridge pipeline, a 142-mile pipeline that will bring water from Burleson and Milam counties to San Antonio, is necessary. According to SAWS, it remains about diversity.
“It’s good to have multiple resources because it ensures that we are not dependent on one sole source,” Gonzales said.
as long as we can still afford to drink it.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:42 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
While I agree that water resources are vital, at some point cost/benefit HAS to be considered. That includes the operational and ammortization costs of the new Desal plant. Hint: It ain't cheap.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
I agree.... I would think they've already acquired enough water rights and such to allow for considerable growth. But they seem to think we can cover anything.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:38 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,064,500 times
The construction firm originally tapped to build a 142-mile pipeline to deliver water to the San Antonio Water System will now take control of the project.
On Wednesday, SAWS’ board of trustees voted unanimously to allow a subsidiary of Spanish conglomerate Abengoa, S.A., to sell 80 percent of its stake in the project to Garney Construction, a Kansas City firm with offices in 11 states that has worked as a contractor on SAWS projects for 30 years. Garney will also build the pipeline.

“We’re excited to help secure San Antonio’s water future,” said Scott Parrish, Garney chief operating officer for western pipe operations, echoing a phrase used by SAWS officials, city council members and business leaders who have spoken in favor of the Vista Ridge pipeline through nearly six months of turmoil.

After SAWS vote, construction firm takes reins on pipeline project - San Antonio Express-News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio