Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 04:20 PM

25 posts, read 23,626 times

Advertisements

I've done a lot of research about San Antonio and Dallas/FtWorth since I'm looking to move with my wife and kids from NY (tired of snow)
I don't want to offend or sound racist, heck I'm Mexican/American so please don't hate I'm just looking to get some questions answer and would appreciate your help.
On a lot of sites, there is info about best places to live but they seem to be aimed at whites or people making over 100,000/yr. Don't want to stereotype but usually, blacks or latinos aren't in the best of neighborgoods (not all of course) and a lot of us do want a better life for ourselves and loved ones, so my questions are

Can somebody find a home for 100,000 or 150,000 in a decent area? or are homes at that price range usually found in lower income unsafe areas? do you feel unsafe because of the crime statistics or because you are a different ethnicity? what about the schools? I know what u read on-line is different that being there in-fact I have talked to some people from TX and they are surprised to know that texas crime rate is higher than NY. I read the forum and seen the moving to TX questions but would like to hear from all walks of life about my questions and if you like to add anything else, by all means

I hope nobody finds this offensive like I said I'm just looking to have some questions answered. I thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 04:33 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times
My brother-in-law is American of Mexican decent and he lives in Pearland/Friendswood. (Part of Houston).

Old 11-25-2016, 05:40 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
My future daughter in law is hispanic, and comes from a "bad area of town" from a family that's a poster child of disfunction......but she is a loved member of OUR family already. She was VERY nervous to meet us, despite my son telling her that we evaluate folks on who THEY are, and nothing more. She quickly came to realize that he was telling the truth.

In all honesty, I think that's the way MANY people are of ALL ethnicities/backgrounds - they're gonna judge you for YOU. $100-150k home IS on the lower side of things, but there are a number of older neighborhoods where you can find a nice home in that range that's perfectly "good".

I grew up in San Antonio - there's things about it that I don't like, which is why we moved. Having said that, the people have some of the most loving and caring hearts you'll ever want to meet. From that aspect, I'd say you'd do just fine in the SA area. I think D/FW area would be fine as well - but given the choice, I'd take SA any day.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-25-2016, 05:52 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Oh yes. A decent area can be bought into for $150,00.00. Surely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristhianagui View Post
I've done a lot of research about San Antonio and Dallas/FtWorth since I'm looking to move with my wife and kids from NY (tired of snow)
I don't want to offend or sound racist, heck I'm Mexican/American so please don't hate I'm just looking to get some questions answer and would appreciate your help.
On a lot of sites, there is info about best places to live but they seem to be aimed at whites or people making over 100,000/yr. Don't want to stereotype but usually, blacks or latinos aren't in the best of neighborgoods (not all of course) and a lot of us do want a better life for ourselves and loved ones, so my questions are

Can somebody find a home for 100,000 or 150,000 in a decent area? or are homes at that price range usually found in lower income unsafe areas? do you feel unsafe because of the crime statistics or because you are a different ethnicity? what about the schools? I know what u read on-line is different that being there in-fact I have talked to some people from TX and they are surprised to know that texas crime rate is higher than NY. I read the forum and seen the moving to TX questions but would like to hear from all walks of life about my questions and if you like to add anything else, by all means

I hope nobody finds this offensive like I said I'm just looking to have some questions answered. I thank you in advance.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
My future daughter in law is hispanic, and comes from a "bad area of town" from a family that's a poster child of disfunction......but she is a loved member of OUR family already. She was VERY nervous to meet us, despite my son telling her that we evaluate folks on who THEY are, and nothing more. She quickly came to realize that he was telling the truth.

In all honesty, I think that's the way MANY people are of ALL ethnicities/backgrounds - they're gonna judge you for YOU. $100-150k home IS on the lower side of things, but there are a number of older neighborhoods where you can find a nice home in that range that's perfectly "good".

I grew up in San Antonio - there's things about it that I don't like, which is why we moved. Having said that, the people have some of the most loving and caring hearts you'll ever want to meet. From that aspect, I'd say you'd do just fine in the SA area. I think D/FW area would be fine as well - but given the choice, I'd take SA any day.

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much for the info

Old 11-25-2016, 08:14 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
First off, being Hispanic isnt going to matter one bit in Texas because most of our major cities (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and El Paso) have more hispanic residents than white ones.

I think you should try to pick which city you prefer. The Dallas/Fort Worth area has a lot more to offer, but San Antonio is a lot cheaper. 150k won't get a whole lot in San Antonio or Dallas, but you could find an older neighborhood to live in.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Oh yes. A decent area can be bought into for $150,00.00. Surely.
Thank u Huckster. May I pick ur brain n ask about some of those neighborhoods? I know there's a lot of Latin decent so I'm guessing there's a wide mix of latin throughout in good and bad areas? I also hear there's a significant amount of petty crime scared, not really in just one area what's your take on that?

Old 11-25-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
First off, being Hispanic isnt going to matter one bit in Texas because most of our major cities (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and El Paso) have more hispanic residents than white ones.

I think you should try to pick which city you prefer. The Dallas/Fort Worth area has a lot more to offer, but San Antonio is a lot cheaper. 150k won't get a whole lot in San Antonio or Dallas, but you could find an older neighborhood to live in.
Thank you Cowboys Fan, I'm guessing the only difference besides the obvious $$ is that some older neighborhoods are just well old? from the homes to the area itself? or is crime and schools also a factor.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I would say as long as you leave New York in New York, you'll do fine here. San Antonio is pretty laid back by comparison. Most native Texans don't care what color you are or where you're from, you'll have the opportunity to be judged by how you treat other folks. If yer friendly and can learn Texas Friendly for a language, you'll be happier than a pig in mud. As I recall, the Mexican population here is the majority and we all pretty much get along. Yeah, you have the idiots but they're everywhere.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
My husband is Hispanic and has lived here all his life. He grew up in Live Oak, a suburb on the NE side, and says there was some racial tension at the high school he went to. That's the only time he can remember race being any kind of issue for him.

The kind of neighborhoods where the houses are 100,000 or 150,000 are not really the bad kinds of neighborhoods you're thinking of. Some of them are in areas of town that are considered less desirable by people with lots of money, but they're really just normal places to live. We paid 130,000 for our house seven years ago when it was new. Our neighborhood is a mix of people, with the majority being Hispanic. Some don't speak English, but most do. The crime we have in our area is the same kind I saw other places, cars getting broken into or the occasional home break-in. I haven't had any of those problems in the time we've lived here, just heard about them from other people. There are a lot of school districts in San Antonio and that has some relationship to what parts of town are considered good parts of town to live in. Alamo Heights, Northeast and Northside are supposed to be the desirable school districts. We live in NISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio