Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 PM

34 posts, read 107,393 times

Advertisements

how about taco hut by Floyd's right off of Goliad Rd.. i miss that place loved the soft tacos

Old 09-26-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman37 View Post
The building across from the floyds hamburger place and the el tipico, (formerly El rancho,) is where the old shakeys used to be. not sure what it is now ,but it has a black roof.
the old shakeys is a church now

Old 09-26-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
When I was just a small child in the mid to late 50's there were 3 major grocery stores in San Antonio. Piggly Wiggly, Handy Andy and HEB. On the Southeast side of town the Piggly Wiggly was located on the south end of the first McCreless Shopping Village (not to be confused with the Mall). The Handy Andy was a few blocks NE at the intersection of Fair Ave.-Gevers and Goliad Rd. The HEB was just up the street on Goliad Rd less than a block. The buildings that housed the Handy Andy and HEB are still there. The McCreless Shopping Village was torn down to make room for a bigger HEB probably 30 years ago. Here is an interesting fact. Back in the fifty's HEB was very pro-Baptist. They did not sell beer or wine and if you worked at one of the brewery's, as many people at that time did in SA, you were not supposed to wear your brewery work uniform into the store. Of course nowa days HEB has one of the best wine selections in town. I guess money talks.
how about the RX that was in the old McCreless village remeber going there after see the denist ( i want to say he was upstars)

Old 09-26-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgil View Post
Just finished reading this thread over the last several days. Really enjoyable.
I grew up in Highland Park. Went to Laura Steele, Page, and Highlands. Started at Highlands the year it opened. We are having a 45th reunion at the end of this month. I have been away for 36 years but will be moving back next year.

I remember Christy's, used to love the fried shrimp there. And yes, I used to go to Edge Falls - it was always an adventure. Used to ride my bike as far as I could and would take the bus everywhere else. My friends and I would love to go downtown and walk around(safe to do back then) Some favorites were the library, on Market St, (Had the miniature circus exhibit upstairs), Joske's, the River, the theaters - Majestic, Aztec and the others. I remember.... riding horses in Brackenridge Park, going to the Highlands or Highland Park theater on Hackberry. For 25 cents on a Saturday afternoon, we could see two movies, a serial, and three cartoons, plus get a bag of popcorn and a candy bar.

Learned how to square dance at the community center in the park on Rigsby above New Braunfels(played tennis there too) and played Little League farther out on Rigsby. I worked one summer at Sommer's Rexall Drugs in the fountain area. I was a fill in so each day I would call in and they would send me to different location. Some of the ones I worked at were on Highlands between Piedmont and Palmetto, Highlands and Presa, Alamo and Houston St, on Houston next to the Majestic, and some other ones farther out. One on Fredricksburg Rd., I think.

My first time in a helicopter was at the grand opening of McCreless shopping Center. One summer, I was an usher at the Majestic. I was on the day shift and when I arrived, I would check all of the small lights to replace the burnt out ones (6-10 a day), and all of the toilet paper rolls in the stalls(around 40) - huge place. Saw "Guns of Navarone" 36 times. Also used to go to the Hi-Ho theater and went swimming at Hot Wells a few times. Favorite swimming place was Alamo Heights. Easy to get to by bus - one transfer. Remember when a good pool for the Southside opened on Goliad. Loved Jim's Frontier burgers.
I belive the Name of the pool was the Goilad Rivrea remeber 2 big pools and one smaller one ( for the kids ) the one with the high dive was round
it was a great place to swimm the go too DQ in front of it on Goliad Rd
( need where the KFC is Now) i found this site today and it is great ....

Old 09-26-2007, 07:44 PM

one more does any one remeber a Restaurant i want to say it was shape like a ship
my dad use to take us there ( the spanish Gallon ????)

Old 09-26-2007, 09:20 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX38 View Post
one more does any one remeber a Restaurant i want to say it was shape like a ship
my dad use to take us there ( the spanish Gallon ????)
YES at the corner of San Pedro and Oblate, next to HEB. It later became a Pancho's in the late 80's early 90's.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 AM

86 posts, read 394,543 times
JimJil - I also am a Highlands grad. and went to my 40th reunion this summer. Oh my goodness, so many wonderful memories from that area! Sounds like we did a lot of the same things - riding the bus downtown and going to the Majestic, Aztec and we ate at The Manhattan sometimes. Did you go to Highlands Hills Pharmacy and sit at the fountain and have a coke or shake? We'd go to the Ben Franklin to get a new toy, and later on, lipstick. Model Market was the grocery in that center and the Taco Hut was nearby. Floyds was across the street.

My friends and I also rode our bike all over the place and at Halloween, you went to all the houses you could get to before time to go home.

Hope you have a great time at your reunion - let us know, ok?

Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX38 View Post
how about taco hut by Floyd's right off of Goliad Rd.. i miss that place loved the soft tacos
Me too - truly one of my favorites restaurants. I took my kids there from when they were little and they also loved it.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
Remember Ricky Ware's Pan American Speedway???? Little oval track and destruction derbys.
Oh yeah, we used to go there a lot. Really exciting and it was interesting to learn more about the racecars when we met some of the racers. Those cars are expensive, and the crew is really dedicated to them. It becomes a family thing when you have a racecar. Met lots of really nice people.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:15 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,443,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I remember when Fuddruckers opened in 1980....I'm just not certain whether the first location was either downtown on Alamo Plaza or the location near Tesoro Dr near Broadway, just north of Loop 410.
The one near Tesoro is the Original Fuddruckers, and is way cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio