Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 06:59 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times

Advertisements

Speaking of the ship sticking out of the Spanish Galleon. Remember the place with the school bus sticking out of it....it was on the corner of Wurzbach and Evers. I believe the school bus was the party room. I think they turned it into a hungry horse a few years back...I am not sure what it is now. Anyone remember the name?

Old 09-27-2007, 07:49 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
JimJil - I also am a Highlands grad. and went to my 40th reunion this summer. Oh my goodness, so many wonderful memories from that area! Sounds like we did a lot of the same things - riding the bus downtown and going to the Majestic, Aztec and we ate at The Manhattan sometimes. Did you go to Highlands Hills Pharmacy and sit at the fountain and have a coke or shake? We'd go to the Ben Franklin to get a new toy, and later on, lipstick. Model Market was the grocery in that center and the Taco Hut was nearby. Floyds was across the street.

My friends and I also rode our bike all over the place and at Halloween, you went to all the houses you could get to before time to go home.

Hope you have a great time at your reunion - let us know, ok?
Do you remember the Spook House in the ritzy neighborhood just west of McCreless. It was the neighborhood where Mr. McCreless and most of the area doctors lived. I believe the Spook House belonged to a Dentist. It was a big area attraction on Halloween night. He had kids dancing around on the roof top patio in nightgowns with backlighting so that they looked like ghosts. Loud speakers played the Hitchcock theme. They fixed up the inside of the house as a spook house and let everyone go through it. That would be unheard of these days and for good reason.

My childhood doctor, Dr Skripka (sp?) lived across the street and had an indoor swimming pool. Very ritzy for that area and era. Also on that block was a house that had a very unusual lawn ornament. As I remember it was chrome and green and looked like a space ship or satalite or something from out of this world.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:22 AM

159 posts, read 785,355 times
Quote:
Remember the place with the school bus sticking out of it....it was on the corner of Wurzbach and Evers.

There is also a Mexican restaurant on Bandera and 410 (use to be Wendy's), with a train car sticking out of it. Was it ever a different restaurant ?

Old 09-27-2007, 09:30 AM

284 posts, read 1,088,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Speaking of the ship sticking out of the Spanish Galleon. Remember the place with the school bus sticking out of it....it was on the corner of Wurzbach and Evers. I believe the school bus was the party room. I think they turned it into a hungry horse a few years back...I am not sure what it is now. Anyone remember the name?
I think the name of the restaurant was Millard Fillmore's, named after our 13th president. There was a whole school theme going with desks and Big Chief tablets.

I don't ever remember the restaurant with the train being anything other than Wendy's.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:30 AM

Default School Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage007 View Post
There is also a Mexican restaurant on Bandera and 410 (use to be Wendy's), with a train car sticking out of it. Was it ever a different restaurant ?
I remember that too...but 2 different places. The school bus was on the corner of Wurzbach and Evers.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:41 AM

Default McDonald's Haunted house

I barely remember this, but several people I went to college with also have vague memories of this.
It the early to mid 70's around Halloween there would be a haunted house in a 18 wheeler trailer at various McDonalds around town. THe one I remember was I-10 and Wurzbach. The trailer said it was the McDonalds haunted house, so it was some sort of corporately sponsered event.
The thing I remember that really freaked me out..and everyone else was......there was a dark room, that supposedly had snakes slithering all over the floor....and you could feel snake like things all over your feet and legs. I can remember nobody was brave enough to reach down and feel what it was. Even my tough teenage cousins were afraid to reach down. Anyone remember that? Bonus, if you did reach down or know how the "snakes" worked?

Last edited by Primo; 09-27-2007 at 09:49 AM..

Old 09-27-2007, 01:31 PM

86 posts, read 394,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Do you remember the Spook House in the ritzy neighborhood just west of McCreless. It was the neighborhood where Mr. McCreless and most of the area doctors lived. I believe the Spook House belonged to a Dentist. It was a big area attraction on Halloween night. He had kids dancing around on the roof top patio in nightgowns with backlighting so that they looked like ghosts. Loud speakers played the Hitchcock theme. They fixed up the inside of the house as a spook house and let everyone go through it. That would be unheard of these days and for good reason.

My childhood doctor, Dr Skripka (sp?) lived across the street and had an indoor swimming pool. Very ritzy for that area and era. Also on that block was a house that had a very unusual lawn ornament. As I remember it was chrome and green and looked like a space ship or satalite or something from out of this world.
Snappy Bob - No, don't remember the Spook House - wish I had known and gone - I'm gonna ask some of my friends about that one. Were these houses across 37 from where McCreless was? Just trying to picture where it was. Sounds like it was neat!

Old 09-27-2007, 03:15 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Snappy Bob - No, don't remember the Spook House - wish I had known and gone - I'm gonna ask some of my friends about that one. Were these houses across 37 from where McCreless was? Just trying to picture where it was. Sounds like it was neat!
I guess the houses were more across from little McCreless. They were just across New Braunfels and a little north of McCreless Mall. They were put in a little before 37 was built. I haven't seen the McCreless house in a long time but I remember it had no grass in the front yard, just white gravel and huge boulders the size of Volkswagons. Big cactus too. I guess it was the first ZeroScape of it's time. I think that nieghborhood was just west of New Braunfels and south of Ada St. Maybe I'll take a drive through there soon. Just for the heck of it. There used to be a guy who repaired watches out of his house right around there also. "Joe E Brown Watch Repair". Funny how this stuff come back to mind once you start thinking about it.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:49 PM

34 posts, read 107,393 times
here is one for you back in the 70's we used to hang out at Jim's on Goliad RD
( Friday nights after high shcool football Highlands )
IH 37 was not finished yet or just was finished the there was a 1/4 mile
marked off on the highway were every one who had a hot car would race (start and finish )
the old spartn parking lot was like a car show
(drive though Jims and down the loop and back park on IH 37 and watch the races )

Old 09-27-2007, 07:06 PM

34 posts, read 107,393 times
[quote=catriona;325018]Other prom date restaurants were The Magic Time and La Lousianne (really expensive!)

There was a place called Floyd's Burgers near Goliad and Clark that had burgers cheap. We used to devour those burgers and fries.

it is still there and the food is still great ( 5 burgers for 2.95 )
the cost has gone up it use to be 1.99
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio