Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 07:57 PM

34 posts, read 107,377 times

Advertisements

[quote=catriona;615338]LOL I also grew up on the SE side near HHS! I recall one of those decorated houses had a pair of angels pulling on a rope to ring a set of bells. I think the house must have been a two story or else had a fireplace in the front. The bells were attached to the top of the house/chimney and when the angels pulled the ropes, the bells moved back and forth. Very cool!

I'd forgotten about the Indian scalping the soldier. That exhibit was very vivid. I wonder if it is still at the Buckhorn. Haven't gone there since they moved it down town. We went to the brewery as a field trip to the Buckhorn when I was in elementary school. There was this huge bear in the entrance; I think it was either a polar bear or a grizzley. For a small kid, that animal was frightening! I think they had the two-headed calf, too.

Did you ever go to the Luby's in McCreless for lunch following church on Sunday? My aunt used to take us about once a month or so. Remember those long lines to get in? Or the smell of the restaurant once you crossed the threshold? My mom used to gripe about the .20 for tea! And I loved their fried chicken!

what a flash back we used to go too luby's every sunday after church
i remeber the lady behind the counter her name was Becky ( very nice to us)
fish and mac and chesse and chesse cake )

Old 09-28-2007, 07:41 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,608 times
SATEX38, I graduated Highlands in 71 and used to hang at the Frontier all the time. Did you ever go to the little place across the street named Two Bits. I remember the 1/4 mile strip on 37 too. The cops used to go there just to watch. Some even raced out there themselves. I was also a regular at Luby's after church with my parents. We went almost every Sunday. Floyd's is an institution. They should make it one of those historical places so they can't tear it down to put up a Quicky Mart.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:55 AM

61 posts, read 257,920 times
ok guys, help me out...took my prom date in 76 to an old mansion, think it was called old plantation house??? seems like it was down a gravel entry way? in SA...i've checked the public records on line and the only name they had similar was the near west side...THAT can't be right...anyone have any clues?

Old 09-28-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
SATEX38, I graduated Highlands in 71 and used to hang at the Frontier all the time. Did you ever go to the little place across the street named Two Bits. I remember the 1/4 mile strip on 37 too. The cops used to go there just to watch. Some even raced out there themselves. I was also a regular at Luby's after church with my parents. We went almost every Sunday. Floyd's is an institution. They should make it one of those historical places so they can't tear it down to put up a Quicky Mart.
Funny you should say quicky mart ( they are building a some kind of quicky mart right next door to Floyd's ) after all these years the lot was empty....
it use to be a gas station way back when ( i remeber a texco station where the Bank is ( off of Offer ( bill miller lane now) ) i graduated from Highlands in 79 both of my daughters when there 2001, 2006 and now my son is there
the school as a new wing where the shops used to be ...
and new Band hall just north of the football field .... new gyms...
but it pretty much the same out side of that ... ( going too the game tonight)

Old 09-28-2007, 02:18 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,435,680 times
[quote=SATEX38;1598260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
LOL I also grew up on the SE side near HHS! I recall one of those decorated houses had a pair of angels pulling on a rope to ring a set of bells. I think the house must have been a two story or else had a fireplace in the front. The bells were attached to the top of the house/chimney and when the angels pulled the ropes, the bells moved back and forth. Very cool!

I'd forgotten about the Indian scalping the soldier. That exhibit was very vivid. I wonder if it is still at the Buckhorn. Haven't gone there since they moved it down town. We went to the brewery as a field trip to the Buckhorn when I was in elementary school. There was this huge bear in the entrance; I think it was either a polar bear or a grizzley. For a small kid, that animal was frightening! I think they had the two-headed calf, too.

Did you ever go to the Luby's in McCreless for lunch following church on Sunday? My aunt used to take us about once a month or so. Remember those long lines to get in? Or the smell of the restaurant once you crossed the threshold? My mom used to gripe about the .20 for tea! And I loved their fried chicken!

what a flash back we used to go too luby's every sunday after church
i remeber the lady behind the counter her name was Becky ( very nice to us)
fish and mac and chesse and chesse cake )
I remember the long lines at Luby's and I remember passing the time and reading the comic books at the bookstore right in front of Luby's. It stood alone in the middle of the mall.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:27 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,315 times
When we lived on Ridge Dr we always ate at the Luby's on Bandera in the Woodlawn St Cloud Ave area. I was around 8 or 9 and for 3 people the bill was never over 4.00. That fish fillet that I used to get was 49 cents. The lines were always out the door and we had to wait forever. There was one day that I dropped my tray and that was so embarassing. I hid under the table!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:15 AM

i forgot all about the bookstore i would finish eating a luby's on sunday and wait for my
mom and dad out in the mall reading books ( so we did have a bookstore on the southside) still waiting for one to move in at Brooks city base did you see where the
city Base west is going too be build on the Ground at the state hospital

Old 09-30-2007, 10:20 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,435,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX38 View Post
i forgot all about the bookstore i would finish eating a luby's on sunday and wait for my
mom and dad out in the mall reading books ( so we did have a bookstore on the southside) still waiting for one to move in at Brooks city base did you see where the
I think right before it closed in the early 80's B dalton bookstore opened up about 2 or 3 doors down from woolworth.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:40 AM

58 posts, read 203,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX38 View Post
There used to be a Waldenbooks in South Park Mall in the 70's (maybe 75-76) going out of JC Penney first store on the left.

It didn't last very long.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I think right before it closed in the early 80's B dalton bookstore opened up about 2 or 3 doors down from woolworth.
do you rember when the roof fell in at woolworth at the mall
i used to go over there every weekend and buy a modle ...
(rode my bike to the mall...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio