Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,672 times

Advertisements

I want to know the name of a Hamburger drive-in that was open
between the years 1964-1968.
It was located on the corner of SW Military Dr & Holder Ave. It was also near Bynum Street.
It was also next to a small convience store named "VICS" it close in 1969.
It was in the South San Antonio Area. It was also 5 minutes from Kelly air Force Base.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:44 PM

174 posts, read 505,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
ok guys, help me out...took my prom date in 76 to an old mansion, think it was called old plantation house??? seems like it was down a gravel entry way? in SA...i've checked the public records on line and the only name they had similar was the near west side...THAT can't be right...anyone have any clues?
That describes more than one place we used to frequent. The name of the place was probably a moniker assigned after the home fell into disuse.

The only places I know of that I would come close to calling a mansion would either be the Gillespe mansion off of IH10, North of Vance Jackson. The other would be midget mansion further down IH10, on the other side of the loop off of Callaghan. I have heard of other people referring to the latter under a different name.

There was another place off of IH10 and 1604, but I don't think it was unoccupied in '76.

Other places for holding a party? There was a home off of 281 next to where the Sam's Club is. There were two houses off of West Avenue just north of Nakoma. There was another large building off of North Loop road very near there as well, it had a set of the old "bubble headed" gas pumps out front. If I'd have known what they go for now, I'd have removed them. There was an old children's home or something near McAllister park that was deserted, it had a huge set of showers. Finally, there were 2 abandoned homes off Perrin Beitel and with the "lost" cemetery there, it was always good for an evening. That cemetery now resides within the bounds of a storage facility. Guess there's no interested relatives to move the remains.

Another interesting date site was out Evans road traveling east where it crossed the railroad tracks. You could park over on the right and walk down the tracks to the trestle. The trestle had a place to sit off to the side for when the train came by. A friend of mine once got a bucket of water in the face for his efforts. I used to climb underneath the track and watch the train go by over my head.

Other gathering places ranged from industrial parks to various wooded areas. There was a nice place near Churchill High where they've now built the dam. There was another place off of 410 across from Los Patios where there was a small waterfall.

I'm sure the days of mile long lines going into McAllister park on Sundays has already been addressed earlier in this thread. After they passed the law requiring liability insurance and started doing checks, a lot of people would park and walk in. I used to drive into the Blossom Park subdivision and moto across the dry creek bed and come in that way. If you were ever there and saw a white Chevy Monza with people bouncing the front end until finally the engine was gunned and it popped a wheelie, that was me. I dropped a 327 in that thing and sure had a lot of fun.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:41 PM

796 posts, read 3,049,894 times
How about Valley Hi mall? Remember, it was connected to a much smaller HEB. You could ge't to HEB from the main entrance, or through the mall. I used to go to Woolworth's (I think that was the name)to get the best Icee's ever, they were always so thick, and check out the fish in the back of the store. I took ballet there and had a recital right there infront of Woolworth's. My husband took karate there, and I think I remember a comic store or something like that?

Old 09-30-2007, 09:28 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disappear-here View Post
There used to be a Waldenbooks in South Park Mall in the 70's (maybe 75-76) going out of JC Penney first store on the left.

It didn't last very long.
I remember there was also a religious bookstore right outside of JC Penny's

Old 09-30-2007, 09:29 PM

7 posts, read 19,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
JimJil - I also am a Highlands grad. and went to my 40th reunion this summer. Oh my goodness, so many wonderful memories from that area! Sounds like we did a lot of the same things - riding the bus downtown and going to the Majestic, Aztec and we ate at The Manhattan sometimes. Did you go to Highlands Hills Pharmacy and sit at the fountain and have a coke or shake? We'd go to the Ben Franklin to get a new toy, and later on, lipstick. Model Market was the grocery in that center and the Taco Hut was nearby. Floyds was across the street.

My friends and I also rode our bike all over the place and at Halloween, you went to all the houses you could get to before time to go home.

Hope you have a great time at your reunion - let us know, ok?
Just returned from the HHS 45 year reunion. It was great to see everyone. The first night mixer was at the Fair Oaks Ranch CC and the second night was at a club at Ft Sam Houston. My wife and I are very happy about our decision to move to SA. Most of our time was spent in Downtown and Southtown. We got a good deal on Hotwire and stayed at the Emily Morgan Hotel, which was the Medical Arts Building when I was a kid. The Sommers I used to be a busboy in, across from what used to be the Post Office, is being turned into a hotel. So many things are the same but different. It was a lot of fun.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:15 PM

86 posts, read 394,453 times
Jimjil - sounds like a great reunion - it is so much fun to see old friends and see what everyone's been up to. I just got an invitation to the class of '68's reunion next summer and they want to include classes of '66, '67 and '69. It is going to be at Pat O'Briens and will be a Louisiana Saturday Night - sounds like fun - The Cave Dwellers will play

Glad ya'll decided to move back here - great area. My hubby and I have considered Colorado, California and Alaska over the years for things such as job offers, etc., but finally figured out we really want to stay here.

Let's keep up about Highlands, ok?

Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 AM

61 posts, read 257,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
That describes more than one place we used to frequent. The name of the place was probably a moniker assigned after the home fell into disuse.

The only places I know of that I would come close to calling a mansion would either be the Gillespe mansion off of IH10, North of Vance Jackson. The other would be midget mansion further down IH10, on the other side of the loop off of Callaghan. I have heard of other people referring to the latter under a different name.

There was another place off of IH10 and 1604, but I don't think it was unoccupied in '76.
I guess I wasn't clear...I took my prom date there for GINNER, not for the traditional post-prom groping.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:41 AM

61 posts, read 257,877 times
Sometimes spelled DINNER.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:29 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times
Default First Whataburger?

Does anyone remember where the first Whataburger in SA was?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:42 AM

174 posts, read 505,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
I guess I wasn't clear...I took my prom date there for GINNER, not for the traditional post-prom groping.
ahhh... without a mention of what you were there for, I assumed it was a party. I can't quite place any restaurant of the time as being in a mansion. But, that explains why you were searching for it by name.

Groping? That was for the drive-in. Prom was for taking a drive out to Austin Hwy for an $18 room. You must have graduated from a parochial school.

(sorry, crass and callow is only fitting for remembering those times )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio