Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 01:08 PM

55 posts, read 232,851 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to throwdown some places I haven't seen on this topic:

The New Laurel Theatre - Down on deep San Pedro: it's a vacant lot now;
it always seemed to have exclusive rights to the
huge movies of the day (Rocky, Midway, Cuckoo's
Nest); good buttered popcorn.
Olmos Theatre - also on San Pedro; in the pre-video era it was the only
place to see classics and art films; I think a bank is there
now.
Danny's Billiards - behind SAC on Main.
Commadore & Navy Clubs - downtown after-hours joints
The Corral Club - tiny spot in Hemisfare Arena where one could get
a quick drink at half-time at Spurs games; run by
Robert Reid's dad.
Custom Hi-Fi & Dyer Electronics - highly competitive car stereo shops;
Custom employees would tag team
you to death whereas Dyer was
more laid back.
Driving the cloverleaf at San Pedro and 410 - 'nuff said?

Bonus Question - For the price of an Old-Timer burger, where was the first
Chili's in San Antonio? (Hint - it was on the North side)

Old 09-20-2007, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 14,361 times
My first post to this site.
I love all the good memories that have come up in posts here. I will try to contribute some as well.
Does anyone remember World of Sports at Dezavala and I-10? It used to have a laser tag area called Photon.
I used to bowl there as a kid. I belive they also had a movie theater there at some time.
Mr Gattis on Naco Perrin (off Perrin Bitel). They used to show very old cartoons, and they also had the original building type.
I think its a gentlemens club now.
There was a 2 screen theater on Naco Perrin, it had a Shakeys Pizza right next door to it. I saw Jaws there openening night.
Clubs I used to frequent:
Rockwave (Perrin Bitel & 410)
Changes (off Nakoma)
HipBone (off Nakoma)
Broadstreet (Central Park Mall)
Hippodrome (Central Park Mall)
Rock Island (Fredricksberg Rd)
Sneakers (Perrin Bitel)
Anyone remember Sombrerorosa? How about hanging out there on Friday and Saturday nights with the Clark kids.
Rocky J's on Perrin Bitel.
The Fat Farm on 281 North. Bunch of urban legends about that place.
I seem to vaguely remember a house that had a system of caves underneath its foundation. Somewhere in the I-10 & Callaghan area.
If anyone can fill in the blanks there, I would love to hear it.
Did anyone ever find out what that tower looking structure is on the top of Commanche Hill?
In high school we used to drive up that hill and look out over the city. Great view. Took a couple girlfriends up there too, very romantic.
Just a few to name, to me started on posting. Im sure I will think of more.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:01 PM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linskie View Post
I'm trying to throwdown some places I haven't seen on this topic:

The New Laurel Theatre - Down on deep San Pedro: it's a vacant lot now;
it always seemed to have exclusive rights to the
huge movies of the day (Rocky, Midway, Cuckoo's
Nest); good buttered popcorn.
Olmos Theatre - also on San Pedro; in the pre-video era it was the only
place to see classics and art films; I think a bank is there
now.
Danny's Billiards - behind SAC on Main.
Commadore & Navy Clubs - downtown after-hours joints
The Corral Club - tiny spot in Hemisfare Arena where one could get
a quick drink at half-time at Spurs games; run by
Robert Reid's dad.
Custom Hi-Fi & Dyer Electronics - highly competitive car stereo shops;
Custom employees would tag team
you to death whereas Dyer was
more laid back.
Driving the cloverleaf at San Pedro and 410 - 'nuff said?

Bonus Question - For the price of an Old-Timer burger, where was the first
Chili's in San Antonio? (Hint - it was on the North side)
Was Danny's the place that had the toilets upstairs and there was a long glass window at shoulder height above the urinal trough?

Old 09-20-2007, 07:51 PM

91 posts, read 324,001 times
Default 1st Chili's in San Antonio/Fat Farm/Comanche Lookout

The 1st Chili's in San Antonio was on McCarty off of San Pedro (behind Jim's). That Chili's became a Mexican restaurant a few years back; that place may have folded since I was last by there.

Was the Fat Farm on a hill to your right as you went north on 281? This was out toward Spring Branch and it may have been a good sized concrete building. I'd heard it was a laboratory of some sort. This place is long gone if it's what I'm thinking of.

The tower on Comanche Hill was a lookout post used to watch Indians way back when (hence the name, Comanche Lookout). I have been back in there since the park opened but I had been under the impression that the lookout is open to the public. If someone knows otherwise please let us know.

Macgrad89

Old 09-21-2007, 06:47 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,696,163 times
Default First Burger Joints

Lets see if everyone knows the location of where the "First" was for each of these?

McDonalds?

Wendys?

GW Jrs?

Chesters?

Whopper Burger?

Burger King?

Fuddruckers?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:47 PM

9 posts, read 33,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
The 1st Chili's in San Antonio was on McCarty off of San Pedro (behind Jim's). That Chili's became a Mexican restaurant a few years back; that place may have folded since I was last by there.

Was the Fat Farm on a hill to your right as you went north on 281? This was out toward Spring Branch and it may have been a good sized concrete building. I'd heard it was a laboratory of some sort. This place is long gone if it's what I'm thinking of.

The tower on Comanche Hill was a lookout post used to watch Indians way back when (hence the name, Comanche Lookout). I have been back in there since the park opened but I had been under the impression that the lookout is open to the public. If someone knows otherwise please let us know.

Macgrad89
You must be referring to what is Casa Sol restaurant. Wow, I didn't know that used to be a Chili's.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:53 PM

91 posts, read 324,001 times
Default San Antonio burger joints

First McDonald's - not sure. The one on Fredericksburg on the southern edge of Balcones Heights was one of the first from what I've heard.

First Wendy's - not sure. One fo the first Wendy's in San Antonio (1978 or so) is still open on Nacogdoches north of 410. That spot used to be a Phillips 66...

First GW Jr's - I dunno; I defer to the group!

First Chester's - I think it was the one on 281 in Hollywood Park. That one or the one in Universal City on Pat Booker.

First Whopper Burger - I defer.

First Burger King - I defer.

First Fuddruckers - On Botts Lane off of 410 and Broadway. Still there after all these years.

Macgrad89

Old 09-21-2007, 03:01 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,696,163 times
Default First Burger Joints

To my knowledge....these are the ones I know. I am looking to the forum to fill in the blanks or correct me.

Lets see if everyone knows the location of where the "First" was for each of these?

McDonalds? I-35 and Laredo Street (Near the Stockyards area)

Wendys?

GW Jrs?

Chesters? - Fredricksburg road - shopping center across from USAA)

Whopper Burger?

Burger King? (I believe there was 1 around south Cross...but of the modern era...I think the first new one in the mid 80s was Huebner & I-10)

Fuddruckers?

Old 09-21-2007, 03:25 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,465,622 times
QUOTE=Macgrad89;1549356]First McDonald's - not sure. The one on Fredericksburg on the southern edge of Balcones Heights was one of the first from what I've heard.

First Wendy's - not sure. One fo the first Wendy's in San Antonio (1978 or so) is still open on Nacogdoches north of 410. That spot used to be a Phillips 66...

First GW Jr's - I dunno; I defer to the group!

First Chester's - I think it was the one on 281 in Hollywood Park. That one or the one in Universal City on Pat Booker.

First Whopper Burger - I defer.

First Burger King - I defer.

First Fuddruckers - On Botts Lane off of 410 and Broadway. Still there after all these years.

Macgrad89[/quote]

Man, do you know your burgers or what>??!?!?!?!

Old 09-21-2007, 03:57 PM

25 posts, read 79,492 times
I've been reading for the past 2 hrs and have thought of some things.

The orange freeze at Whopper Burger, used to give you a brain freeze. I believe there was on on Blanco/410. I believe there is a Mexican restaurant there now.
The Do Drop Inn (I believe under the Commerce bridge? ) Had the best bbq sandwiches.
The original Malt House on Zarzamora and Buena Vista?
Do you remember the GASS Shoes? ca 80's You could step on a piece of paper and the emblem would be on the paper (from the dirt on your shoes)
What about the knee high socks that had scenes on them? I had a pair that showed the ocean and sand.
Pheasant blouses?
Bell bottom jeans that would cover your shoes?
Candies hi-heel slip on shoes?
The wedge heel platform shoes made famous by Laura from General Hospital? on the subject of shoes, the high heels that were clear?
Wearing your comb in the back pocket of your jeans?
Feather earrings?
Writing your boyfriends name with ink on the top of your hand?
I know this has been mentioned (earlier threads) but what about Toughskin jeans? I had some red and green ones?
Shopping for school clothes and putting them on layaway?

If I think of anything else, will post later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio