Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:41 PM

44 posts, read 126,743 times

Advertisements

I agree with you. I live in the Monticello Park area, and coming off I-10 going north on Fredericksburg is depressing. However if you come from 410 and exit Babcock and come in the back way, up Wilson then the neighborhood is OK. But I must say when you have to find an alternate route just so you don't get depressed about your neighborhood- it's time to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 12:47 PM

361 posts, read 925,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemice View Post
I agree with you. I live in the Monticello Park area, and coming off I-10 going north on Fredericksburg is depressing. However if you come from 410 and exit Babcock and come in the back way, up Wilson then the neighborhood is OK. But I must say when you have to find an alternate route just so you don't get depressed about your neighborhood- it's time to move.

A lot of houses in the Woodlawn area are classic Victorian and early 1900's classic, and they're nice as hell. it was once an awesome part of town to live in, but now I just wouldn't feel safe living there.

To get there, I go up Fredericksburg to Zarzamora, then turn on Cincinatti avenue. There's less ghetto to see that route, even though you still see the plighted ruins of Fredericksburg Rd's so-called businesses. That route also takes you through the entrance of the lake and for a nice scenic drive.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:03 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
LOL if you think Fred Rd is a scary place. No, it's not very nice in places, but it's hardly terrifying. It's just a poorer community.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:27 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock's Beard View Post
Woodlawn lake is ghetto. Gangs are everywhere. A girl was pushed into the lake and killed just last year, and she's not the first to die there either.

It's nothing like it was years ago. If you want to live somewhere relatively close in neighborhoods that aren't as bad, check out the nrighborhoods between Holmes High School (Ingram and 410) and the Medical Center area.
It's not totally ghetto it's a safe pocket right by a ghetto but if you drive through the area there are huge houses and families having a good time.
the areas that are the safer ones in that area would be the streets north of Culebra.

Some of the areas do get a cut of crime as this poster said but the gangs there aren't everywhere. I also remember the robberies which one killed a friend of my mothers. what I don't get is why that guy had to kill a man for a couple of bucks. Like I said before it's a safe area just be smart and don't do anything that could get you in a bad situation.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:33 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
They used to call Monte Vista the ghetto. It is a great neighborhood for people who don't like the cookie cutter homes. If you like new homes then you probably won't like this area. There are alot of lawyers, doctors, artist, professors, realtors, politicians and retirees that live in this neighborhood. It is mostly well maintained. The homes are well built but you have to be careful not to get something too used and abused unless you have alot of money to invest in repairs and updates. It is very quite, friendly and charming and just 15-20 minutes to anywhere you need to go in SA... no traffic congestion either. The ghetto mostly starts west of the lake. Jefferson High School is beautiful. To Hello... I have plaster walls and they are great insulation... my bill is never over $150. I never understand why this area gets passed over for Alta Vista, Mancke Park, Olmos Terrace, Beacon Hill, Tobin Hill, etc. because the homes are so much more substantial then the homes in those areas. The neighborhood is quite nice and about 50/50 hispanic/anglo mix. The homes are anywhere from 170K to 300K. Not a bad area at all for those who like the 1930 architecture. I wish I knew how to post pictures. I have not experienced any criminal activity but have seen some grafitti here and there. There are some homeless along Fredericksburg Rd but they keep moving and don't come into the neighborhood. I think alot of people are afraid to live here because it is so close to the westside but I have never had a problem and neither have my neighbors. I don't have to chain my outdoor furniture down... lol. Of course if you were hoping for something like Alamo Hts, Olmos Park, Terrell Hills or Monte Vista then you will be disappointed. Most of us can't afford that price range... half a mill and up so this is a good alternative if you like the old homes and neighborhoods.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,572 times
A for chaining down furniture, I think that my friend does it because she lives on Donaldson about a block away from a halfway house or whatever it is. Or it's a care center for former psych patients? I don't have the facts just now. Anyway, a poster on here named Googie2525 wrote of his experiences with those people setting things on fire and harrassing his girlfriend when he lived in Montecello Pk. There's also a homeless shelter on Fredericksburg that makes its boarders leave the premises during the day, and my friend told me they sometimes make their way up around her house, about a block or two from Fredericksburg. It sounds like quite the lively neighborhood!!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
A for chaining down furniture, I think that my friend does it because she lives on Donaldson about a block away from a halfway house or whatever it is. Or it's a care center for former psych patients? I don't have the facts just now. Anyway, a poster on here named Googie2525 wrote of his experiences with those people setting things on fire and harrassing his girlfriend when he lived in Montecello Pk. There's also a homeless shelter on Fredericksburg that makes its boarders leave the premises during the day, and my friend told me they sometimes make their way up around her house, about a block or two from Fredericksburg. It sounds like quite the lively neighborhood!!
Yes, there is an apartment with psych patients off Fredericksburg Rd and sometimes they take a stroll around the block but they are harmless and never bother anybody that I know of... never heard about a fire either. I think Googie2525 may be prone to exaggeration. Donaldson is a noisy street due to the traffic and Halloween is one big street party. I would not want to live on that street because of the traffic noise and Halloween. Repeat I have never had a bad experience with homeless, psych pts or crime. It is a very quite neighborhood and not very lively but rather interesting and charming because of the eclectic group of houses and people that live in the area. Most people shop at Central Market because it is close. Once you get used to the area it is nothing to get alarmed about. It is a little urban and alot of people would rather live in a new neighborhood that is less urban and diverse. I think it has alot of potential still and keeps getting better all the time in terms of being gentrified.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 AM

130 posts, read 543,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post

WOW! There are homeless people and psych patients in my neighborhood? People have to chain down their furniture???????

Gosh, I must live on THE one safe street in this area.

I must be one tough looking 115 lb girl to be so lucky as to have never encountered ANY trouble here.

Sent from streets between Babcock, Wilson, Donaldson, & St. Cloud.

Maybe negativity attracts trouble?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:17 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
They used to call Monte Vista the ghetto.
They used to call King William the ghetto too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
I never understand why this area gets passed over for Alta Vista, Mancke Park, Olmos Terrace, Beacon Hill, Tobin Hill, etc. because the homes are so much more substantial then the homes in those areas.
We looked at both. I think I had a slight preference for Mahncke Park homes as they tended to be a little bit more interesting to me, and the options available in Woodlawn Lake were not near enough to the Lake to really make the location preferable at the time. That just happened to be what when we were looking though. There are a lot of great places in each. I suspect all those you mention gain preference due to proximity to Alamo Heights/Central Market/Broadway - as much as I think Fred Rd has tons of potential, Broadway has a lot more happening at the moment in terms of desirable shops.

That said, we bought in neither, instead choosing Lavaca, due to cost and proximity to downtown.

FWIW - Highland Hills has a similar mix of homes, very well kept and very much not ghetto. I think there's less location appeal in that there's no Lake and CM is a bit farther away. But the area itself is great.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
They used to call King William the ghetto too.

We looked at both. I think I had a slight preference for Mahncke Park homes as they tended to be a little bit more interesting to me, and the options available in Woodlawn Lake were not near enough to the Lake to really make the location preferable at the time. That just happened to be what when we were looking though. There are a lot of great places in each. I suspect all those you mention gain preference due to proximity to Alamo Heights/Central Market/Broadway - as much as I think Fred Rd has tons of potential, Broadway has a lot more happening at the moment in terms of desirable shops.

That said, we bought in neither, instead choosing Lavaca, due to cost and proximity to downtown.

FWIW - Highland Hills has a similar mix of homes, very well kept and very much not ghetto. I think there's less location appeal in that there's no Lake and CM is a bit farther away. But the area itself is great.
Where is Highland Hills? I think Fred Rd will develop more in time... it has developed some in the past few years. I go walking alot in the neighborhood so I see things that alot miss. There is a steady momentum of homes being renovated and alot of doctors moving into the area or people that work in the Medical Center area. You just have to be a little picky about which house, which block, etc... some are better than others but on the whole it seems to be developing at a steady pace. I live about a mile from the lake.
I need to visit Lavaca area... I am totally unfamiliar with that area but am interested to see it. I don't know where Tobin Hills is either. As far as Manhcke Park and others you are right about the location but the houses in my opinion are not as good. The location is better though because of the proximity to Broadway and the 09 zip code. The King William area is beautiful and I am sure that it is very interesting living downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio