Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:38 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times

Advertisements

Whoever feels the local wages support the current NEW “cookie cutter” housing market is defiantly out of touch with reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 05:22 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
I think you and me might be out of luck man. I am looking to move out of my longtime apartment but this market is not kind to first time home buyers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Whoever feels the local wages support the current NEW “cookie cutter” housing market is defiantly out of touch with reality.
Part of the problem is the lack of developers building new subdivisions with "starter homes". It seems the low end of the market just isn't profitable for builders. There is no Ray Ellison like there was years ago. The low-end buyers are pretty much relegated to the used home market, and even then the demand for those homes, coupled with the lack of new construction options, squeezes supply and pushed up prices.

Also, the OP is looking for a house in the 1,200 square foot range. You wouldn't find any new single-family homes that small being built locally in today's market. Again, you would be looking at older homes, built in an era when that size range was much more common.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:02 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,946 times
what I will say is you're not really getting your bang for the buck here in SA.
I visited an uncle in Houston who lives in a 2 story, 5 bedroom, study, formal dining room, 2 living areas, etc.

nice part of town (but I can't remember exactly what side), but similar homes in his area are going for $250-275K.
a house like his here in town would easily run over $350K.

I could sell my 1,800 sq. ft home for close to $200K right now. It baffles me how much it's gained in value over the last 5 years, but outside of taxes, I'm really not complaining too much.

That all being said, I bought my first starter home and stretched my budget to make it work, but now that those same homes are 50K more, it's getting harder for people to even get into a starter home.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:14 AM

Yeah, it is pretty tough to find an new 1,200 sq ft home. Most likely that kind of sq footage means it will be single story and even those are pretty rare among the new construction homes of today.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:10 AM

814 posts, read 676,702 times
I enjoy side trips through older neighborhoods. Many large and varied trees.

Some of them have more value in the burglar bars on the windows and doors than the house itself.
No kidding, this city has to be burglar bar capital of the world.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:05 AM

343 posts, read 307,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
I enjoy side trips through older neighborhoods. Many large and varied trees.

Some of them have more value in the burglar bars on the windows and doors than the house itself.
No kidding, this city has to be burglar bar capital of the world.
In a lot of Latin American cities almost all homes have burglar bars regardless of economic status.

I get what you mean though and I think as far as big cities in Texas go I think the one that give San Antonio the most competition is El Paso. I think it's cultural, I for one am a fan of burglar bars but I've heard a lot of people think it looks "ghetto"

Old 02-23-2018, 11:41 AM

I wouldn’t be proud of a culture that required burglar bars but that is just me.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:42 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times
When you say you are a fan, you mean you like the way it looks, or the protection they provide?

I've always thought of them as a negative in general.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
When you say you are a fan, you mean you like the way it looks, or the protection they provide?

I've always thought of them as a negative in general.
I like the way they look if they are done right to go with the house and I especially like them for the front door because I think the barrier they provide is very useful when answering your door especially.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I wouldn’t be proud of a culture that required burglar bars but that is just me.
I could say a lot of things to this but in my experience going back and worth with closed minded individuals is futile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio