Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 08:40 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,574,854 times

Advertisements

So now that I'm finally living here, I have to do my grocery shopping here! Out of curiosity, why are beef prices so high? Back in New England, we can pay $3.99 lb - $5.99lb for a sirloin steak to take home and grill. I was a little shocked at the prices here as there seems to be a lot of beef cattle farms.

Second, back home right now, there are many fresh vegetables available with my favorite being corn and cucumbers! I realize the growing seasons are different..what could I find here for fresh fruits and vegetables currently in season? With it being warmer here, do you have another growing season coming up?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 09:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,979,309 times
I've been wondering why beef prices are so ridiculous. Beef futures are just under a dollar a pound. Sirloin should be locally available for $5.00 a pound but the last I saw at HEB and Bolners, were ridiculous in price. The last time the wife and I went to Little Red Barn, the place was near empty and prices were stupid expensive. All I can tell you for sure is the rancher isn't the problem with high prices.

Veggies are a spring and late fall crop around here. There are farmers that sell veggies right out of the fields if you have the ability to buy a lot and put it up. That's the way we buy what we don't grow in the small garden. It'll cost you about half what the stores get. There are places at Lytle, Poteet, and Pleasanton that sell right out of the field. If you like yellow corn, Castroville is the place. They get some sweet corn too but it goes quick. At one time there were several places around town where farmers brought in their goods and you could get fresh stuff. Seems like it was on a Wednesday only. Someone more familiar with it will probably chime in. I have no idea what they get for the goods.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I've been wondering why beef prices are so ridiculous. Beef futures are just under a dollar a pound. Sirloin should be locally available for $5.00 a pound but the last I saw at HEB and Bolners, were ridiculous in price. The last time the wife and I went to Little Red Barn, the place was near empty and prices were stupid expensive. All I can tell you for sure is the rancher isn't the problem with high prices.

Veggies are a spring and late fall crop around here. There are farmers that sell veggies right out of the fields if you have the ability to buy a lot and put it up. That's the way we buy what we don't grow in the small garden. It'll cost you about half what the stores get. There are places at Lytle, Poteet, and Pleasanton that sell right out of the field. If you like yellow corn, Castroville is the place. They get some sweet corn too but it goes quick. At one time there were several places around town where farmers brought in their goods and you could get fresh stuff. Seems like it was on a Wednesday only. Someone more familiar with it will probably chime in. I have no idea what they get for the goods.
Thank you Trapper. It's interesting to see the price differences. I would have thought that meat prices would have been less expensive here. We also use to have fresh boneless chicken breast on sale for $1.99 lb if you bought 3 lbs or more. Maybe they do have that here occasionally?

Old 08-25-2018, 10:50 AM

4,442 posts, read 5,364,328 times
What part of the metro do you live in?

Old 08-25-2018, 10:56 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,929,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Thank you Trapper. It's interesting to see the price differences. I would have thought that meat prices would have been less expensive here. We also use to have fresh boneless chicken breast on sale for $1.99 lb if you bought 3 lbs or more. Maybe they do have that here occasionally?
I can always find boneless chicken breast on sale for $1.99 lb here. Walmart and HEB seem to have it for that price all the time.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
What part of the metro do you live in?
Stone Oak.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:23 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,190,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Stone Oak.
Where are you shopping?

Old 08-25-2018, 12:07 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,124,402 times
You're going to have to give up on having good fresh corn like you had in the NE. My friends (from MD, now TX) have tried for many seasons to baby a small crop of silver queen here. It just can't take the heat.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Where are you shopping?
HEB, Super Target

Old 08-25-2018, 01:14 PM

61,944 posts, read 87,574,290 times
Try Farmers Market, although the prices are pretty high there.
San Antonio Farmer's Market Association
San Antonio Certified Farmers Markets

Grocery prices are higher in San Antonio than in other Texas cities due to limited competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio