Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 06:50 AM

8 posts, read 27,258 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm coming to San Antonio in late May, and I want to eat great Tex-Mex everyday. I will be staying on the River, but I can leave the area for some great food. I love enchiladas, burritos, tacos, and of course guacamole. Please give me some suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 06:58 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzb32 View Post
Hi all,
I'm coming to San Antonio in late May, and I want to eat great Tex-Mex everyday. I will be staying on the River, but I can leave the area for some great food. I love enchiladas, burritos, tacos, and of course guacamole. Please give me some suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Burritos are not common here, instead we have soft tacos (crispy tacos are not so common either).

Everyone has their favourite tex-mex place in the city, there are no shortages of Tex-mex, however, I've never been impressed with any of the Riverwalk Tex-Mex restaurants. My personal favourite, esp. for breakfast (they're not open in the evenings) is Taco Haven on. S Presa and Vance St. It's about 1.5 miles south of the Alamo. It's a very casual, family sort of place.

Another local favourite is Rosario's. I prefer Taco Haven, but Rosario's is good too - a little more upscale/trendy/young/party sort of crowd. It's always packed. It's on S. St. Mary's and S. Alamo, about .75 miles south of the Alamo - if you don't want to walk, the trolley goes there, I think it's the Blue Line.

The west side has a ton of great Tex-mex hole-in-the-wall places, too many to name..

Old 04-09-2008, 07:09 AM

759 posts, read 3,690,686 times
My most fav enchiladas in the city come from Piedras Negras de Noche on Laredo St. I consider myself an enchilada connoisseur (I will only try hole in the wall type places) and their cheese enchiladas are the best IMO!
I'm not going to try and give you directions, but it is a little south of downtown.
Taco Taco on Hildebrand is very good too. My brother loves the enchiladas from Cascabel's (sp?) on Blanco near Hildebrand. (for anyone else reading, I think the burgers from Cascabel's are better than Chris Madrids!!!)

I love the local places!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:04 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,743 times
Do yourself a favor: no Riverwalk mexican food. Margaritas? Hell yes! But food? Nah. If you must, Acenar is very good (but not really traditional Tex-Mex), Mexican Manhattan is decent, Casa Rio is a decent.

You must find a way to get to Los Barrios (should be a $7-$10 cab ride from downtown) for puffy tacos.

For breakfast, I love Tacqueria Chapala, which is 1 mile north of downtown on McCullough.

And I second the nomination for Taco Haven.

Have fun!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:08 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,458,211 times
I like Blanco Cafe downtown on St. Mary's and Travis. I like their cheese enchiladas and steak ranchero.http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/1.gif (broken link)

Old 04-09-2008, 11:53 AM

53 posts, read 114,432 times
Default Best Tex-Mex in San Antonio

Restaurant on Blanco near Hildebrand is Casbeers.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:24 PM

759 posts, read 3,690,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogi View Post
Restaurant on Blanco near Hildebrand is Casbeers.
Casbeers!!! That's what I meant... not Cascabels!

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2008, 12:30 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,150 times
There is a Cascabel with excellent Mexican food, but it's not Tex-Mex. It's southern/central Mexican, located on S. St Mary's, just south from Rosario's.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:42 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,747,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I like Blanco Cafe downtown on St. Mary's and Travis. I like their cheese enchiladas and steak ranchero.http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/1.gif (broken link)
They also have a new location on Blanco just inside 1604.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,747,441 times
I am prepared to take the heat on this one...but my first choice remains as it has for the past 14 years of living in San Antonio... Alamo Cafe. I love Chimichangas (sp?) and they make the best - not too big and full of meat. Other items tend to be average but good.

I know many people don't like Alamo Cafe - but it is a good tried and true favorite in my house. Went there last night in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio