Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2020, 10:37 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Of course the mask WEARER (i.e.... a potential "super spreader") is not less prone to getting sick by not wearing a mask. They're just pronouncing their own immaturity and selfishness. (As if we needed to know)

Birds of a feather... these mask-free friends are likely hanging out with other mask-free friends. No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 10:44 AM

8,354 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Birds of a feather... these mask-free friends are likely hanging out with other mask-free friends. No?
Thats a pretty ridiculous generalization.

In Houston, just about everyone wears one. I went to Lubbock a month ago and almost no one wears them. I still went to see my friends regardless of the fact that they dont wear them.

I did get Covid recently (not from that trip) and it was from a friend of ours that was mostly careful but her kids got it at school, were asymptomatic, gave it to her, who gave it to me. Its one of those things that if everyone wore masks, this wouldnt be nearly the issue it is but they dont. Therefore nothing will change in the US until a vaccine is widely available.

Masks work. There is no debating that.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:51 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

In Houston, just about everyone wears one. I went to Lubbock a month ago and almost no one wears them. I still went to see my friends regardless of the fact that they dont wear them.

I did get Covid recently (not from that trip) and it was from a friend of ours that was mostly careful but her kids got it at school, were asymptomatic, gave it to her, who gave it to me. Its one of those things that if everyone wore masks, this wouldnt be nearly the issue it is but they dont. Therefore nothing will change in the US until a vaccine is widely available.

And yet... you can't offer up any data - even anecdotal - that the mask-free are getting covid at higher rates than the masked.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And yet... you can't offer up any data - even anecdotal - that the mask-free are getting covid at higher rates than the masked.
Oh please. Youre either not paying attention or choosing to ignore it:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...sars-cov2.html

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...k/art-20485449

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...u-need-to-know

Old 11-16-2020, 11:14 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,665,579 times
This area is a joke. Nowhere near as serious about containing the spread. Another data point: Former neighbor (ex-boyfriend is the home owner, she now lives in another part of comal county closer to Bexar, functionally might as well be BeCo). Complains and exhibits 2 of the symptoms of COVID. Continues to congregate with persons not part of her household, to include trips to our neighbor (dog breeding thing they shared before they broke up).

We implore via text (my wife) to get tested and isolate. Claims her Precariat flight attendant job messed up the open enrollment, so currently uninsured (as we say in the military: Standard). Makes no living wage money anyways (won't divulge the airline but it's not a legacy/major or even regional, so people can already surmise the kind of employer we're talking about), so claims financial hardship to these medical impositions. Says she'll just tough it out. *Classy act (*/sarc) if it weren't so endemic to our national apathy about healthcare writ large.

So not only not social distancing, not allocuting to it at her traveling work, new live-in bf is a cop for APD, also not self-isolating nor allocuting to the contact at home (by the woman's own admission to my wife via text), plus the cop's minor in the home goes to a comal ISD school also not allocuting. See the trend? That's what, three counties worth of interaction (Bexar, Comal, Travis) by a single selfish individual who feels aggrieved by the fact her socioeconomic circumstances wrt healthcare give her no choice. Yai 'Murica....?

Isolated behavior my rear. This behavior is all over both SA and AUS MSAs, by socioeconomic design. Multiply this nonsense times dozens of thousands and you have the dirty little secret of why we're in the basket case we're in.

The other and bigger secret is the clear vectoring of children in the schools. They're all carriers and the country has made a concerted effort out of convenience to not touch that third rail because parents want and need their absence during the day. We just can't say that part out loud apparently because it shines our panties about the rank hypocrisy of our collective ways as American parents. We never sent ours back and it has been uphill. But for the rest of the street it's been zero closures, zero isolation, and a cohort of parents in the schools ready to riot if they got told they couldn't drop off the kid at the de facto day care center in the morning.

This is basically just speaking the quiet parts out loud. And the schools know it. So everybody plays ball, hops up the kids with acetaminophen before the temp screen at the drop off line, and we all wave the US flag and pretend the hospitals are filling up with respiratory arrest cases by osmosis. Unreal, this place.

People are completely unserious about it, nevermind the fact our healthcare model is a fundamental economic predator (but that's for another thread), which gives members of the Precariat a further rationalization to behave in such apathetic ways.

Plausible deniability is the real National sport of the "American Individualist". As such, we truly deserve our predicament; it's built into our cultural dogma. No blaming the politicians for that, our culture is staunchly anti-collectivist. We're just eating that opportunity cost in 2020. Those of us who don't align with that dogma, pariahs indeed, will have tough discussions going forward as to what to do about our geographic choices, but that's not germane to this thread, so I digress.

Good luck I guess.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:52 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
Get a grip.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:57 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,411,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Question- If you didn't catch it in Lubbock, but from a friend, did she or her kids not wear a mask?

Old 11-18-2020, 10:42 AM

1,514 posts, read 891,633 times
Does a surgeon wear a mask to protect the patient or the surgeon?

Old 11-18-2020, 10:51 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,503,825 times
Does Batman's mask protect him from the Corona?

Old 11-18-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Question- If you didn't catch it in Lubbock, but from a friend, did she or her kids not wear a mask?
I got it from my wifes co-worker who had been at home for pretty much the whole pandemic. We didnt think much of it because of that. However, her kids were going to school and one of them became asymptomatic with it. He gave it to her, she gave it to me. We werent wearing masks because we were at our house and it was just us.

It was a combo of us letting our guard down and not paying enough attention to what our friends were doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio