Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 18,733 times

Advertisements

My husband was injured in Iraq and is receiving treatment at BAMC. Because we will be here for a while, he has received orders assigning him to Ft Sam. We've been burned before with post housing and are considering off post rentals.
What are some good areas with short commutes? We've heard conflicting things about Converse. Any suggestions? We have an 11-yr-old so schools are a serious consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 01:50 PM

378 posts, read 1,441,863 times
Converse is a safe community that has good schools. the neighborhoods to the south of Sam Houston are more dangerous and the schools are not so good ether. I'm not saying you can't find a nice little pocket in that area but it's just smarter to move north/north east of Ft. Sam. Converse is a better place to live and not so far from the Base ether.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:51 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoldierswife View Post
My husband was injured in Iraq and is receiving treatment at BAMC. Because we will be here for a while, he has received orders assigning him to Ft Sam. We've been burned before with post housing and are considering off post rentals.
What are some good areas with short commutes? We've heard conflicting things about Converse. Any suggestions? We have an 11-yr-old so schools are a serious consideration.
First, please let your husband know how grateful we are as a nation to him for his service to his country...and please accept our prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery.

I think if I were in your shoes, I would request one of the packets that his social worker at the Wounded Warrior Clinic should be able to provide to you. Also, check out the housing office there on Ft Sam for assistance.

I am not sure, but believe that those here for medical treatement get priority for post housing, and that might be something to consider. Not familiar with that side of town at all to offer suggestions, but if there is anything I can do to help out, please do not hesitate to PM me and I will do my best.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:25 PM

Thank you both. We have to start looking this coming week. I'll definitely remember what you've said.

Also, Paka. Thank you. I will check with our case manager to see if she can give us any additional direction.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:07 PM

378 posts, read 1,441,863 times
I heard they built a housing facility for injured soldiers/vets inside the base but don't know if they are full now.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
I heard they built a housing facility for injured soldiers/vets inside the base but don't know if they are full now.
They have the Fisher House, which is right here at BAMC, for the injured and their families. We have actually been living here at the House since my husband became an outpatient. It's a wonderful place, but it's not really a place for families with kids for various reasons. Besides that, once you have orders, they (the gov't) frown on those that stay here and still collect the housing allowance.
Does that all make sense? Much more than you were asking. Sorry.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:01 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
You probably don't want to be as far out as Converse. I would look at Windcrest, Northwood, and Oakwell Farms if you are renting. Lots of Military in both Windcrest and Oakwell Farms. Retired officers make their home in Northwood, with some families thrown in.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,247 times
Hi, I am thinking about renting my house out. Its in Windcrest a new subdivision and it is very nice. I stay out of town and its about 20 minutes to Fortsam. In my Subdivision the neighbors look out for each the Winnbrook sub division and it is very nice and family oriented.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:31 PM

14 posts, read 50,469 times
Alamo Heights has a nice school system - if you can find something affordable. And tell your husband his sacrifice is greatly respected and appreciated.

Last edited by dc21sa; 04-05-2010 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio