Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:25 AM

123 posts, read 451,074 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to move to SA from KC, MO. We also do not have much grocery competition. Putting aside all issues of principle related to Walmart, in general is it cheaper to buy food at Walmart or HEB? I usually shop Walmart here because it is quarters and dollars cheaper in many cases, especially for things like cereal, toilet paper etc. I do hit the 2 local stores to buy the items on ad.

Also, does HEB sell milk from a local/regional dairy in glass bottles? We have a fabulous local dairy who sells through the local grocers here and I will hate having to go back to big dairy milk in plastic bottles.

Thanks,
Betsy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 08:29 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
I don't feel that HEB even tries to compete on price. Their niche seems to be selection and service. I don't use coupons much and I don't follow the ads, but I have noticed that I get the lowest overall prices on groceries at WalMart and Super Target, in that order. This thread is sure to draw posts from the "I refuse to shop at Wal-mart on principle" faction, but if you're serious about getting the lowest prices on groceries, you won't get them by boycotting WM.

Around here, I believe that you'd be more likely to find specialized milk like you describe at Whole Foods or Sun Harvest.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:36 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Better prices = Wal Mart
Better selection= HEB

Best prices= Costco

From my wifes lips...to your ears.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:42 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Promised Land Dairy sells milk here, in glass bottles--at HEB, for sure, and I am not sure about Wal-Mart. It's a little pricier than the plastic bottle milk, but it's delicious!

http://www.promisedlanddairy.com/

Last edited by sapphire; 05-18-2008 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: added a link

Old 05-18-2008, 08:59 AM

380 posts, read 1,279,807 times
Yup what Bowie and FirstClass said...."again"

Let's not forget about Handy Andy and La Fiesta. I think far too often folks forget about these stores, or are just not willing to go to them because, 1. They are too good for them 2. Didn't know about them.

Instead they'd rather whine and moan about "the monopoly of HEB, or anti-WM crap".

Best Prices = WM, Handy Andy, La Fiesta
Best Selection = HEB

Old 05-18-2008, 09:13 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I personally refuse to shop at wally world, but that's just on principle and that's almost a foreign word to most people..

I do the vast majority of my shopping at the HEB+ on Potranco and I also go to the commissary on Lackland. The best prices are usually at the commissary, but not everyone can shop there. I love Super Target, but the locations (Bandera Point and Crossroads) aren't drives I want to take. When the AR one opens I'll be a regular shopper there.
as far as milk, I don't really drink the stuff and get a plastic gallon of the Hill Country Fair stuff for cooking and cereal pretty much. We usually end up throwing some out and I wish they sold 3/4 gallon jugs. That would be perfect for my house

Old 05-18-2008, 09:17 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,078 times
Speaking of Alamo Ranch...I got a mailer from Best Buy that they open this Wednesday. So I'm sure the others will follow suit very shortly.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:19 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
I'll also agree that those of us who can get to a commissary have the best choice, being that Lackland is 18 miles and a half hour away, we end up going to WalMart to do most of our shopping. Don't forget the Super Targets also have groceries, they are on par for quality as HEB but don't have as much selection. I like HEB but it is more expensive and alway seems to be crowded (and I hate crowds).

We buy our milk at Walgreens, of all places. They usually have the best price on a gallon jug and since we go through about two of those a week (sometimes more, but we've got two growing boys), plus there is one literally a mile away from our house, it is worth the time to stop by.

Cheers! M2

Old 05-18-2008, 09:20 AM

Was it a Reward Zone private invite? I got that and was hoping not many other people did so it wouldn't be crowded. The public opening is Thursday at 6:00 PM

Old 05-18-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I'll also agree that those of us who can get to a commissary have the best choice, being that Lackland is 18 miles and a half hour away, we end up going to WalMart to do most of our shopping. Don't forget the Super Targets also have groceries, they are on par for quality as HEB but don't have as much selection. I like HEB but it is more expensive and alway seems to be crowded (and I hate crowds).

We buy our milk at Walgreens, of all places. They usually have the best price on a gallon jug and since we go through about two of those a week (sometimes more, but we've got two growing boys), plus there is one literally a mile away from our house, it is worth the time to stop by.

Cheers! M2
I think there is one within a mile of EVERYONES house here in SA
does anyone know the exact number of Walgreens here? They have to be in the 100's. They do have good milk prices too, which I find odd because most everything else they sell is way over priced.
I also think the huge crowds that are always at the Potranco HEB+ speaks volumes, especially when you compare it to the wally world that's less than a mile away. I don't think I've ever seen more than 100 cars in that lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio