Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:10 PM

80 posts, read 227,778 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the zip code to the Sierra Springs neighborhood? My 10 year old son is mildly autistic and sort of easily led because he likes to fit in so maybe Heritage isn't such a great idea. I'm just trying to do what's best for my kids, so I really appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 01:33 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
A few questions to try to help you:

1 - Are you looking to purchase or rent? And do you have a Realtor helping you? (NOT soliciting, just trying to figure out how to best help you.)

2 - If you're doing this alone (without the help of a Realtor), what are you using in your search? If you search on San Antonio News, Weather, Sports : MySA.com | Express-News | KENS 5 ~ you can search by subdivision, instead of just zip code. The zip codes tend to be all over the place as far as sub's go.

3 - What grade will your son be going in to? I thought that you had previously posted before that he's in 5th/going in to 6th? Is that correct? If so, you would want to be looking at Middle schools, since out here they start in 6th grade.

And Sierra Springs is in 78251 zip code.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:37 PM

732 posts, read 3,553,234 times
In addition to Sierra Springs, I would also add Sierra Vista (kind of part of it but would be found in a separate search....) There are several houses for rent here in Stonecreek (but we do have the problem with some of the Heritage kids....)

If you are renting, I would suggest using:

Bradfield Properties

I found the setup of the website really easy to use and the realtors there helped us find a rental unit (sight unseen) when we moved down here from WA state. Our realtor even went to a few of the houses personally to make sure they were clean and nice enough for a family with a toddler and a new baby on the way. I REALLY appreciated that.....

Old 05-20-2008, 01:52 PM

We are looking to rent for our first year to feel out the city before we buy a house. Yes, my son will be going into 6th grade (smiled when I read that ) so the middle school is extremely important - I also have a son going into 10th grade, so the high school is just as important. I was doing my searches alone - I filled out some applications for the house I posted about with Don Hendricks, but have left a voice mail for the agent I was dealing with to call me back because I had some concerns. I soooo appreciate everyone's help -

Old 05-20-2008, 02:02 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
Well, I would highly recommend that you get a "buyers agent" to represent YOU! And yes, you can do this with a rental, also. When you are dealing with the management person for the home, they represent the landlord and not you. And 99.99% of the time, the buyer/tenant's Realtor fees are paid by the owner/management company of the house, not you. Plus, they can generally help you pinpoint an area more specifically.

Best of luck!

Old 05-20-2008, 02:05 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
I rented from Bradfield and the only issue I had was getting my security deposit back. It was quickly resolved when I reminded them about the time limit the law places on holding the deposit though...
Have you tried Westcreek? that's where I live and it's not perfect, but it's pretty good. The rent is a little steep, but that depends on what you're willing to spend. If Heritage middle school kids go to Pease I would definitely stay away from that school, especially with what you said about your child being easily influenced.

BTW, I moved to the area at this time of year in 2001 and houses go QUICK. I started out with a good selection and they were almost all gone by the time I finally picked one.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:17 PM

How is the Timber Ridge sub division? The middle school is Connally and the highschool is Warren.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:15 PM

Ok, so I contacted Bradfield properties and OMG, Barbara was a SAINT. She gave me her cell#, took down my name and number (I explained our situation to her) and said she would check out the better schools and get back to me with a house on Thursday. She mentioned a new highschool that has swimming (?) and the Stone Oak area. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks so much for all of your great suggestions!

Old 05-20-2008, 03:18 PM

732 posts, read 3,553,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJack View Post
Ok, so I contacted Bradfield properties and OMG, Barbara was a SAINT. She gave me her cell#, took down my name and number (I explained our situation to her) and said she would check out the better schools and get back to me with a house on Thursday. She mentioned a new highschool that has swimming (?) and the Stone Oak area. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks so much for all of your great suggestions!
Barbara is the one who helped us out......I'm sure she'll do everything she can to get you the neighborhood you need.

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:28 PM

60 posts, read 246,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJack View Post
How is the Timber Ridge sub division? The middle school is Connally and the highschool is Warren.
My girlfriends parents live there. There are lots of nice houses most of which are kept up. There are also a few which aren't kept up. However, the grafiti problem there is horrible!! I wouldn't buy a place there because it is so bad which is kind of sad because the neighborhood would have potential if it wasn't for all the punks running around tagging everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio