Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 09:26 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Let me know how it is! I have lots of family there but haven't been back since Christmas.

Not sure how long you're going to be there... but there are a couple other restaurants that are really good. The Diner and Sammys (burger place).
Didn't have time to go on Friday and they have very odd business hours. Maybe next Friday...
When I go to visit that place (and I would try to ask for a sampler plate), I probably would be too full to try any other place on the same day.

This is a very small city with limited attractions. It's too hot to be long outdoors, so I would probably just drive around to see some historic buildings, take few pictures, eat and drive back. It's 90 min. each way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjmedina24 View Post
How about Shilos Restaurant on Market street near Alamo downtown? There’s some German influence?
Dish names?
Breaded and fried pork loin or chicken breast doesn't make those dishes "German", but are often advertised as authentic.
Who knows where the sausages come from since I haven discovered a proper German wurst maker...yet.

Last edited by elnina; 08-10-2022 at 03:24 PM..

Old 08-07-2022, 10:53 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Dish names?
Breaded and fried pork loin or chicken breast doesn't make those dishes "German". Who knows where the sausages come from since I haven discovered a proper German wurst maker...yet.
You apprantly are critical of everything. Not everyone is going to make everything exactly as you had it wherever you came from. But I am sure someone will try to make it close to that. Give some people some respect for their attempt to do it.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:58 AM

Perhaps is important to know that while some dishes or sausages taste good, they aren't what they are called or they do not represent the countries. Those dishes and products are just a version of the cook's imagination or what they think would sell the best to the locals.

I do respect them for trying, but please don't call those dishes "authentic". Those dishes, are at the best very Americanized versions, losely connected to the authentic recipes.
I feel that patrons who didn't have opportunity to try the real stuff overseas get somehow misinformed.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:53 PM

3,461 posts, read 2,786,747 times
Quote:
Perhaps is important to know that while some dishes or sausages taste good, they aren't what they are called or they do not represent the countries. Those dishes and products are just a version of the cook's imagination or what they think would sell the best to the locals.

I do respect them for trying, but please don't call those dishes "authentic". Those dishes, are at the best very Americanized versions, losely connected to the authentic recipes.
I feel that patrons who didn't have opportunity to try the real stuff overseas get somehow misinformed.
Elnina, I have an idea what you are getting at. East European sausages use a lot of herbs, which gives them a complex flavor. Texas sausages use fewer herbs and are strongly smoked.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Elnina, I have an idea what you are getting at. East European sausages use a lot of herbs, which gives them a complex flavor. Texas sausages use fewer herbs and are strongly smoked.
Very good observation.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:41 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times
Quote:
Who knows where the sausages come from since I haven discovered a proper German wurst maker...yet.
I'll be in Germany, Poland, and the Czech Republic in a couple of months, and I'm always like a kid in a candy store when I visit butchers and restaurants in Europe. I make notes of the sausages that I really like and then make my own when I get home. Buy a meat grinder and a stuffer and make your own!

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sau...erman-sausages

ALPHABETICAL LIST OF SAUSAGES

Old 08-10-2022, 10:04 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,607 times
Quote:

yeah I am pretty sure no one on here said anything about "authentic". It is nice to go somewhere and get something that looks like and is pretty close to what you got over seas. Schnitzels for most part are made out of veal in europe. Dont think you will see that here. Pork is it.. but people like the food as it brings back those good memories. I wish I could find a weiss wurst but to this day havent. I like the german sausage I got from Granzins as it came close to what i was looking for.

Old 08-10-2022, 03:20 PM

I get the German wurst from Granzins too. Yes, it comes close to what I am looking for.
Some decent sausages you can buy at "Sasha's" on Callaghan.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:03 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
I wish I could find a weiss wurst but to this day havent.
Central Market (and some HEBs) sell a couple of pork & veal bratwursts that are probably close:

https://www.centralmarket.com/produc...-12-oz/1726232

https://www.centralmarket.com/produc...s-4-ct/2865132
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio