Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 08:40 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,029,254 times

Advertisements

There are certainly times when it is justified for a cop to kill somebody but I bet there are still more than 100 a year that aren’t completely justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 08:43 PM

838 posts, read 1,213,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
It would appear that you see cops' lives as somehow less important than the people they are sworn to protect. Guess what? They're normal people with families and children, just like the people they protect.
I see cop's lives as no more or no less important than the citizens they are hired to serve. Cops, on the other hand, CLEARLY see their lives are infinitely more important than anyone else's. This is clearly evidenced with the desecration of the US flag with that Blue Lives Matter flag bs.

Cops are paid VERY well to do a dangerous job and they have my respect for that. They quickly lose my respect when they let their egos rule their actions and the vast majority of them let their positions go to their head.

Quote:
My son-in-law is a cop in another state, and last year he shot and killed someone. That someone (white, upper-middle-class, prominent member of his church) shot at my son-in-law as he was trying to deescalate the situation. What is the "minimum force necessary" when someone is shooting at and trying to kill you? The person's family didn't question the shooting, as they knew he'd done wrong, and that the police were justified in their response.
Thank you for admitting your bias.

I don't know any of the circumstances of the anecdote you mention. What I do know from my years in the military during the first Gulf War, you don't have to shoot to kill to eliminate a threat. You may want to go look up the 60 Minutes episode where they showed how many police depts. have outsourced their police training and many police officers these days are being trained to ONLY shoot to kill.

Quote:
Prove it, or it's all just hot air. Find a police academy that trains their officers to lie and commit crimes, then have them shut down. It shouldn't be difficult, right?
Pull your head out of the sand. You know the Supreme Court has ruled that is completely legal for police officers to lie during an investigation? The only time police can't lie is in court or on a police report but, we all know they do and there are rarely consequences because... thin blue line.

It takes a special level of naivete to think that cops don't lie. In my opinion, they have the least integrity of nearly any other profession and that includes politicians and car salesmen.

Here, I will do your research for you:

https://peughlawfirm.com/can-the-pol...-you-in-texas/

https://mattoxlaw.com/2020/04/06/is-...anipulate-you/

https://innocenceproject.org/john-ol...nterrogations/

Old 10-09-2022, 11:03 PM

3,358 posts, read 1,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post

I don't know any of the circumstances of the anecdote you mention. What I do know from my years in the military during the first Gulf War, you don't have to shoot to kill to eliminate a threat. You may want to go look up the 60 Minutes episode where they showed how many police depts. have outsourced their police training and many police officers these days are being trained to ONLY shoot to kill.
I was under the impression that when officers are trained to use their firearms, they are trained to shoot at the center of mass of their target. I presume this would give them the greatest likelihood of hitting their target and not hitting anyone else. Is this correct or am I mistaken?

Old 10-11-2022, 05:52 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,063,641 times
Quote:
No, it is not. But there is one thing that most police shootings have in common: failure to follow the officer's instructions. Almost every high-profile shooting victim in recent memory would still be alive if they had decided to make their protest in court and not on the street. I've been in a couple of situations where cops treated me poorly for no good reason, but I complied, acted properly, and I always walked away a free (and living) man.
The kid did nothing wrong. The cop yanked the door open and stuck a gun in his face. Probably thought it was a car jacking and he panicked. The cop did not "fear for his life" and the kid was not "endangering" the public so the shooting should not be justified.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:05 AM

4,924 posts, read 3,351,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
You talk like fleeing from a cop is an unwise decision.
Since when is cooperating with law enforcement a guarantee of survival.

We need to get away from that "he was not cooperative" line of thinking. All these videos show cops shout demands and immediately proceed with lethal force.

Cops are permitted to use lethal force if the perpetrator of a felony was caught in flagrente delicto and trying to escape and only if it doesn't endanger the public in the process. I am not certain what crime this kid was caught doing; but I don't think eating fast food is a felony.

That kid made the smartest decision he ever made. He would most certainly be in cold storage right now has he not driven off.
And tit for tat, every person kiling a police officer in the lawful performance of their duties needs to be executed on the courthouse steps. Immediately, and with all the fanfare than can be mustered.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:08 AM

867 posts, read 872,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
The kid did nothing wrong. The cop yanked the door open and stuck a gun in his face. Probably thought it was a car jacking and he panicked. The cop did not "fear for his life" and the kid was not "endangering" the public so the shooting should not be justified.
Did you miss the part of how quickly SAPD fired the officer? Or where the DA is looking at charges against the former officer? This incident has been all over the national news and it seems to something everyone agrees on including cops and that is the officer acted stupidly and was clearly in the wrong here.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:30 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,063,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Did you miss the part of how quickly SAPD fired the officer? Or where the DA is looking at charges against the former officer? This incident has been all over the national news and it seems to something everyone agrees on including cops and that is the officer acted stupidly and was clearly in the wrong here.
Of course I did. This is a discussion right? Are you saying everyone should just shut up about it since the cop got fired?

Old 10-11-2022, 08:47 AM

1,042 posts, read 883,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
The kid's in critical condition and was shot. Firing the cop was the LEAST they could do.

And let's not forget that once his union rep jumps in, he may be rehired.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:37 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,802,112 times
If that body cam had not been recording the whole thing, the outcome would have been different for sure. I think all cops should wear them and leave them on at all times while policing.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:12 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,463,296 times
I think they might be waiting to charge the p.o. based on weather the kid survives. According to the most recent news, they dropped the "charges" on the kid, so his family could visit him. I'm thinking the only reason they did that is because they think he might die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio