Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 946,651 times

Advertisements

My bill was a lil more expensive than last years june bill. It was at least in line with was expected. It really is getting close to time replace the old heat pump outside. However a new system only generates big savings for 3 months of the year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,684,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post
My bill was a lil more expensive than last years june bill. It was at least in line with was expected. It really is getting close to time replace the old heat pump outside. However a new system only generates big savings for 3 months of the year...
If it's pretty old, you'll have to probably replace the inside unit too as the refrigerant has changed.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:50 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 946,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
If it's pretty old, you'll have to probably replace the inside unit too as the refrigerant has changed.
It is bastard system so it will all get replaced, plus an upstairs air return put in. Outside unit 30 years old , inside unit is 10 years old and noisy. Bills are only unreasonable 3 months of the year, so it makes the payback calculations tough to do.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:49 AM

944 posts, read 3,066,409 times
The fuel is affecting everything. As a remote example, the 12 ounce bottle of 100% maple syrup that I've been buying at H.E.B. for years at $4.50, today was $8.50 !!! It's happening folks!

When and if I ever buy a house, it's going to be cold showers and cold water laundry for me. Welcome back to Colonial times, baby! We'll all be dipping candles, growing flax, and weaving our own underwear!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:39 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,967,416 times
hello,

Where's the syrup from? The reason I asked is that, when I was in Vermont last March, one of the ladies at a local syrup place said that the costs of many New England maple syrups would be higher THIS year due to a bad "harvest" that resulted in a reduction of output...

But yeah, the costs of many foods are steadily increasing. Add to that the insult of the "incredible grocery store shrink-ray" and it gets worse. (BTW, the "shrink-ray" takes the original product (say 16 oz. can of beans) and shrinks it (14 oz. can of beens) but charges the same amount for the new size.)

--Dim

Old 07-10-2008, 06:44 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,752,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post
It is bastard system so it will all get replaced, plus an upstairs air return put in. Outside unit 30 years old , inside unit is 10 years old and noisy. Bills are only unreasonable 3 months of the year, so it makes the payback calculations tough to do.
Two story house with no second fllor return air?! I would have that changed even if you don't replace your system...especially if you have bedrooms upstairs that are used regularly. We have three return air one (in the ceiling in our bonus room upstairs) two (in the ceiling downstairs). In Texas where we rarely use heat...having the return air in the ceiling on all floors will help the HVAC system work more efficiently because the system draws the hot air out of the room keeping it from getting to warm.

Adding a return air upstairs could be expensive depending on where your unit is located - but would be worth while in the long run.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:32 AM

129 posts, read 513,592 times
Our home is about 30 yrs old. Only 1300 sq ft. Replaced outdoor unit about 16 yrs ago. The inside unit is the original. May bill only 137. June was 260!!!!! I am now unemployed and home during the day. I started leaving it on 82 always. Hope it helps but not looking forward to next bill.
Does contacting CPS help? I cant believe it was twice as much!!! Has anyone ever had them come out and do a check on ideas??? I guess I should replace unit???

Old 07-10-2008, 12:10 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,684,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnativegirl View Post
Our home is about 30 yrs old. Only 1300 sq ft. Replaced outdoor unit about 16 yrs ago. The inside unit is the original. May bill only 137. June was 260!!!!! I am now unemployed and home during the day. I started leaving it on 82 always. Hope it helps but not looking forward to next bill.
Does contacting CPS help? I cant believe it was twice as much!!! Has anyone ever had them come out and do a check on ideas??? I guess I should replace unit???
To keep CPS honest, I check my meter the same day they will read it.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 PM

545 posts, read 2,286,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
To keep CPS honest, I check my meter the same day they will read it.
Have you ever seen a discrepancy?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,752,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnativegirl View Post
That is a huge bill relative to the square footage. I suspect that the insulation and windows are severely lacking in a 30 year old house. That combined with a very old inside and relatively old inside unit is the source of your bill. With all the rain and the break in the near 100 degree temps the next bill should be less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio