Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:19 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,556,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
How old is your house, unit? That is ridiculous.
About 30 years, single pane windows, needs additional attic insulation, as well as exterior walls. Like I said, totally NOT energy efficient house! And we didn't use much more kWh than last year (last year was about 2900, this year 3160). IT SUX! But, we knew this house wasn't energy efficient, so we can't gripe too much about it. Otherhalf is finally motivated to do the attic insulation and some other things now, tho.

Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 11:29 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
On our last house (built in 1983) we had single pane windows as well - they are horribly inefficient. We replaced a few as part of a renovation...and they did help that room. We also replaced our original A/C system with a new 14 SEER unit as well as had 12 inches of insullation blown into the attic. Lastly - we replaced the original ducts with R-6 ducts. All of those improvements reduced our useage by about 25% but it seemed that our monthly costs didn't go down much over the years as the cost of electricity kept going up. When we decided to move - going with an energy star certified new home was top priority. I haven't gotten my first full months bill yet, but our first bill for 10 days of use was less than our last neighbors bill on a daily use average and their house was 1,400 square feet smaller.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:53 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,697 times
Quote:
Lastly - we replaced the original ducts with R-6 ducts.
What size were the initial ducts and which is better (smaller or bigger ducts) if you don't mind my asking? I learn as I go and don't know much about ducts.

I've also always curious what makes the difference between an 'Energy Star Home' and a home that seemingly has the same energy saving features (e.g. ridge/soffit vents, Fiberglass R-30, Seer 14, double pained windows, radiant barrier, etc.) but lacks the Energy Star stamp of approval.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:17 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
What size were the initial ducts and which is better (smaller or bigger ducts) if you don't mind my asking? I learn as I go and don't know much about ducts.
The size of the duct depends on the air flow desired. R-6 is the insullation rating. When I reworked my ducts I did alter some of the sizes to even out air flow around my house. But I wouldn't make significant changes without consulting and HVAC contractor. The goal is to have sufficient air flow to deal with the heat load for each part of your house - which has many variables to consider. But checking your ducts is a good idea since many older ducts are leaking air into the attic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
I've also always curious what makes the difference between an 'Energy Star Home' and a home that seemingly has the same energy saving features (e.g. ridge/soffit vents, Fiberglass R-30, Seer 14, double pained windows, radiant barrier, etc.) but lacks the Energy Star stamp of approval.
An Energy Star Home has been inspected to meet required guidlines. Such as the expanding foam insullation around all outlet and switch boxes and any penetration into the attic. Also - all blown insulation is inspected for proper depth and coverage. The Energy Star rating is more a guarantee that each energy efficient step has been approved to meet that guideline. I can attest that my builder had each step of insullation inspected and that the house ended up being very tight when it was all said and done.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:23 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,697 times
So when I put $.50 gaskets on my electrical outlets, I guess I can put the seal on my home... I'll just change it up a little bit so as not to infringe upon any intellectual rights.

'Energy Start Certified Home'.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 PM

422 posts, read 1,450,823 times
Quote:
Thermostat set at 80 and it was still that high!!! How old is your house? How old is your A/C unit?
I'd say both are a little over 7 years old. Trust me, I was shocked to see it that high. I've never had a bill over 245 in the past years I've been here. Are my new PC Gaming Rigs sucking up that much juice? Who knows...

Old 07-11-2008, 09:52 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekKnoll View Post
I'd say both are a little over 7 years old. Trust me, I was shocked to see it that high. I've never had a bill over 245 in the past years I've been here. Are my new PC Gaming Rigs sucking up that much juice? Who knows...
You can go buy a kill-a-watt and find out how much juice they are sucking up.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:32 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
$451.18!!!!!!!

Yes, one month.

about 2450sqft, single level, mostly tile floors, "4 sides brick"!, 6 people home all day (summer ~ kids outta school), thermostat set at 80!! Yes, 80!!!! Lights almost always off, appliances unplugged, all that junk. But totally NOT energy efficient house.

What do I have to say to everyone that's gripping about $150 bills? ****!!
Are you SURE you have "4 sides brick"??? Maybe you have too many weep holes.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:34 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,871 times
$190'ish

No complaints.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:53 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,556,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinocowboy View Post
Are you SURE you have "4 sides brick"??? Maybe you have too many weep holes.

Heh!!! They're all plugged up with steel wool to keep the scorpions out!!!

And I'm still trying to figure out where I can buy a kill-a-watt?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio