Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:55 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,323 times

Advertisements

For those of you currently with Road Runner Turbo (15Mbps download) in SA, have you observed if the faster PowerBoost data transfer (22Mbps) is sustained throughout the duration of a large download or does it taper off after a while?

I currently have Road Runner Premium (10Mbps download) and prior to PowerBoost I could only reach maximum speeds of about 9.6Mbps, which is not bad. Now my downloads spike to about 18Mbps, but only for about 5 seconds and then it slows down to my prior max of 9.6Mbps.

I'm just wondering if this temporary increase is the way PowerBoost is supposed to work. If upgrading to Turbo (requires 2 year commitment) will give me a sustained PowerBoost speed, I would definitely sign up for it.
I telecommute from home and download gigabytes of data weekly from my main office so I could sure use the speed gain.

Thanks

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-21-2008 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: SA update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,386,345 times
I have Turbo (15 down) and have noticed the power boost kick in. It all depends on the site you're hitting, though. The fastest I've found (sustained around 20 mbps) was a 72 mb upgrade to iTunes. I should've timed it to find out the specifics, but it was done is somewhere around 30 seconds.
My speed is currently pretty crappy today for some reason. I ran some tests on speedtest.net and had a hard time even getting 10 down. I also tested on iTunes and could download the 60.5 Mb file in about 40 seconds, but it wasn't as fast as last time.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:47 PM

40 posts, read 136,070 times
i also have Roadrunner, how can I check what my speed is, or if I have the Turbo version?

Old 08-12-2008, 01:41 PM

The turbo vision you have to pay extra for and do a two year agreement. It will show up on your bill as RoadRunner Turbo speed and it's pretty blazing fast. Definitely better than anything dsl can offer. As far as checking the speed, go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test or just find a large file somewhere (like the iTunes I said earlier), time the download, and divide the file size (in megabytes) by 60. The initial iTunes package is 60.5 Mb's, so if it took exactly 60 seconds to download that would be close enough to 1 Mb/sec download speed. However, the providers advertise speeds in megaBITs per second, which is taking the megabyte speed and multiplying it by 10. Sounds much better that way..
BTW, the speedtest.net site is ok, but not perfect. For some reason I always get faster speeds from Ft. Worth and Dallas and sometimes even Houston will beat the San Marcos location.

My speeds still aren't as good as normal, but the up speeds are showing a boost over the advertised 1.5 mbps

If you want something funny, try it with Auckland, NZ. That ping will get you killed in any game.

Last edited by rd2007; 08-12-2008 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-12-2008, 03:11 PM

I think I am seeing the short term speedup from PowerBoost when I use speedtest.net as I'm getting a very fast 25Mbps. That test is over in less than 5 seconds which is before PowerBoost seems to go away for me.

The tests on dslreports.com last about 15-20 seconds, so PowerBoost expires on me and I get a more realistic 7.8Mbps which is more inline with the max advertised speed of 10Mbps for non-Turbo people.

http://www.dslreports.com/im/55572186/64114.png (broken link)

rd2007, are you testing on a wireless setup or sharing bandwidth at the office which could account for your slower download? I have my home laptop hooked up to my router via gigabit ethernet and Cat6 cable. I got tired of seeing my transfer speeds seesaw up and down via wireless.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:27 PM

422 posts, read 1,450,530 times
So when I lag in game and get fragged, i'm going to blame rd2007 for utilizing all the bandwidth in our area. :P

Old 08-12-2008, 03:32 PM

Ha ha, pay the big bucks and we can share the street
actually, it's the same price as the regular RR when you do the 2 year thing.. or at least it was for me. I added Turbo and national any-time calling and my price went down $25/month. works for me

here's the e-mail I received from TWC.

Get Crazy-Fast Internet Speeds with PowerBoost™
Have you heard that Road Runner Turbo service just got a boost? PowerBoost™ from Time Warner Cable gives Road Runner Turbo’s already fast 15 Mbps a quick burst of speed while downloading large files or gaming. Through our Advanced Fiber Network, PowerBoost™ burst speeds reach up to 22.0 Mbps at no additional charge. Click here to find out more about Road Runner Turbo and PowerBoost™.

the PowerBoost should only be available to Turbo customers.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post

here's the e-mail I received from TWC.

Get Crazy-Fast Internet Speeds with PowerBoostâ„¢
Have you heard that Road Runner Turbo service just got a boost? PowerBoost™ from Time Warner Cable gives Road Runner Turbo’s already fast 15 Mbps a quick burst of speed while downloading large files or gaming. Through our Advanced Fiber Network, PowerBoost™ burst speeds reach up to 22.0 Mbps at no additional charge. Click here to find out more about Road Runner Turbo and PowerBoost™.

the PowerBoost should only be available to Turbo customers.

Hmm, so according to this I shouldn't be getting PowerBoost since I have not signed up for Turbo. Oh well, I'm not going to complain. The short-lived boost is nice.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:05 PM

that's what the e-mail said, so I wouldn't complain either..

It's not available everywhere, especially not the PowerBoost thing. Matter of fact, I just searched it and we seem to have the best deal. North Texas only powerboosts to 16 down.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-21-2008 at 01:06 AM.. Reason: updated

Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,109 times
For news/interest: Time Warner Cable Launches PowerBoost to Road Runner Turbo Customers in North Texas - MarketWatch

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-21-2008 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: updated ;)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio