Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:04 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

when self defense is no longer punished and personal injury suits are no longer allowed when injury occurres in the commission of a crime. this will all disappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 12:10 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,457,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
And when you consider only 10% of residents live on the South or West sides you realize just how crime stricken those areas are. I have read several stories recently of people being randomly shot in their cars at stoplights on the South! I made the regrettable decision to volunteer at a South side community center and couldn't believe it. Just drive through the area and you'll see prostitutes and gangs on every corner. You will not find that around La Cantera or Stone Oak. Your right about being ignorant about the area as I try to stay away as much as I can.

Former member 210 made a great map to help illustrate the areas that most will want to stay away from. //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...html#post62984
Every corner?! Really?! I seriously doubt that you've driven through the entire southside and have actually seen gang bangers and prostitutes on every corner. If you did, then you've certainly got a lot of time on your hands and a very vivid imagination.

How can you admit to be ignorant about the area, yet make the ridiculous claims that you've made? Your bias is based on pure ignorance, which, of course, make your comments less than credible.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:13 AM

504 posts, read 1,457,604 times
how about the prostitutes on austin highway? or the prostitutes in the historic areas of king william and monte vista. maybe he is thinking of all the "massage" parlors and craigslist girls all over the northern parts of this city. i dunno, just maybe?

Old 09-09-2008, 12:16 AM

504 posts, read 1,457,604 times
it happens...having a brother and sister who are cops and another brother a fireman we are almost numb when these things happen unless we hear anything different. it sucks but after 20+ years its the way you become.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:10 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,026,285 times
Of course not every corner has a prostitute or gang. It was sarcrasm. Compton isn't even that bad. And about New Orleans... DUH! Everyone knows that NO is heavily crime ridden. South SA wouldn't rank anywhere near the most dangerous places in the US, but comparative to the North and Northwest areas of town it is much less safe. My 10% figure was a rough guess (I didn't realize I was writing a research paper ). Let's round up and say 25%. To have 1/4 the population but the same amount of murders take place isn't something to brag about either. I volunteered at the South Presa Community Center and there were numerous prostitutes walking the area. I rarely frequent the South side for these reasons. I claim to be ignorant regarding the fact that I don't live in the area and rely on reading news stories about the violent crimes that often take place. To admit to be ignorant about a place doesn't make you any less credible when (as I have) you can back up what your saying.

Here is a story of a 21yr old woman shot and killed in her car on the Southside just a couple of weeks ago - Driver Shot, Killed At Intersection - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/17280492/detail.html - broken link)

I'm sorry if I'm insulting your "hood" but it is what it is. Perhaps we simply have different standards. With this said we have gotten off topic (as usual) so if you'd like to continue this discussion please begin a new thread.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:42 AM

67 posts, read 78,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Of course not every corner has a prostitute or gang. It was sarcrasm.
Yes, that wrote that pure sarcasm.

Quote:
Compton isn't even that bad. And about New Orleans... DUH! Everyone knows that NO is heavily crime ridden.
Compton?

Quote:
South SA wouldn't rank anywhere near the most dangerous places in the US, but comparative to the North and Northwest areas of town it is much less safe.
Yet, I provided you with data that proves that isn't the case. The south side has a stigma with it, that's undeniable, and with said stigma comes a more microscope analyzing whenever anything happens on said side. A murder is much more than a murder on the south side to many who don't live here

Quote:
My 10% figure was a rough guess (I didn't realize I was writing a research paper ).
Yeah, what's the big deal with just throwing out badly guess percentages. I mean, it's not like those are facts or anything.

Tganna, it's terrible.

Quote:
Let's round up and say 25%. To have 1/4 the population but the same amount of murders take place isn't something to brag about either. I volunteered at the South Presa Community Center and there were numerous prostitutes walking the area. I rarely frequent the South side for these reasons. I claim to be ignorant regarding the fact that I don't live in the area and rely on reading news stories about the violent crimes that often take place. To admit to be ignorant about a place doesn't make you any less credible when (as I have) you can back up what your saying.
The percentage is about 30% not 25 as I said I didn't count all the zip codes. Anyway, the South Presa corridor is seedy to about Hot Wells Drive, no lie about that. However, to drive down South Presa once and come to some overall conclusion on the entire south side is asinine. Makes no sense, sorry. The south side and west side for that matter are very large areas. To reduce those two areas to a inner seedy street corridor is absurd.

You drove half a mile south of 90 to the South Presa Community Center (wow), proudly shout ignorance and you still have the audacity to then tell people what it's like to live on either the south side or west side... from news reports. Oh yes, I forgot, you're half a mile trek into the south side.

Do you even remotely understand how ridiculous that is? To better visualize it for you... it would be like someone driving half a mile up San Pedro Ave. from 35, seeing stuff they don't like then going home and reading about murders or property crimes that take place on the north side and coming on here and telling people what a undesirable place the north side was.

Can you grasp that?

Quote:
Here is a story of a 21yr old woman shot and killed in her car on the Southside just a couple of weeks ago - Driver Shot, Killed At Intersection - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/17280492/detail.html - broken link)
That is a sad and tragic story. However, it was insanely rare and random and could have happened on the north side just as easily as it did on the southwest side.

Quote:
I'm sorry if I'm insulting your "hood" but it is what it is. Perhaps we simply have different standards. With this said we have gotten off topic (as usual) so if you'd like to continue this discussion please begin a new thread.
You're not insulting my hood, you're insulting yourself and many peoples intelligence.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:03 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
So............does anyone give a crap about the cops, which is what this thread was about?

All 3 are in stable condition, suspects in both incidents are DEAD, which is a good place for them to be.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:52 AM

6 posts, read 14,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post

They were serving a domestic violence warrant when the shooting happened.
One of them is named Lawrence Robarts. He is a friend of mine and was shot 4 times. The surgery took about 3 hours. He is doing well, but will probably need 3-4 more surgeries.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:48 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
So............does anyone give a crap about the cops, which is what this thread was about?

All 3 are in stable condition, suspects in both incidents are DEAD, which is a good place for them to be.
Yes, I do; and thank you for trying to get this thread back on track!

I for one am very appreciative of the work the police do in trying to maintain law and order in our communities. I know it is dangerous work and the officers are doing their best to keep us all safe.

I wish the three officers a full and speedy recovery, and agree that the extreme temperatures that the suspects are now feeling are truly deserved!

Cheers! M2

Old 09-09-2008, 02:29 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,457,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
it happens...having a brother and sister who are cops and another brother a fireman we are almost numb when these things happen unless we hear anything different. it sucks but after 20+ years its the way you become.
The point is it shouldn't happen - not in such succession, at least. I find it sad that you've become numb to officers getting shot, but are ready to stand on your soapbox about people not banding together to clean up grafitti. I would think your outrage would be a hundredfold. We're talking about officers' lives, not someone's scribblings on a wall!

I, for one, am still shocked when an officer is shot in the line of duty...but, maybe that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio