Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:42 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times

Advertisements

How about the Blockbuster right there too fierce_flawless? I had plenty of friends that worked at blockbuster when I was in high school.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:24 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
How about the Blockbuster right there too fierce_flawless? I had plenty of friends that worked at blockbuster when I was in high school.
Oh yeah... duh me. I forget it's there since we don't use it! Thanks!

Old 10-09-2008, 04:59 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Oh yeah... duh me. I forget it's there since we don't use it! Thanks!
No problem! There's a bunch of little places right in between Commerce and Buena Vista by Commerce, too. If your son asks they may be able to work with him. The Payless, Bill Millers, oh Jack and the Box right by my office, McDonalds on Guadalupe and Zarzamora.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:00 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,521 times
My Son has worked for HEB for over 2 years since he was 16, he just went to Texas State and they got him a transfer to the store right near the campus.
He earns good money and has several $100 bonus a good place to work and clean too.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:38 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
My son is 16 and has his first job, but I am concerned with the amount of hours he's working /scheduled to work (too much, too late in the evening). He is going to talk to them about his schedule but if they won't work with him by reducing hours or at least putting more hours on the weekend schedule and less during the week, I will most likely insist he quit or look for something else.

I always had jobs in high school but I usually worked 3 (rarely 4) hours max each day, or later on when I was in the high school work program I left school at 2 and worked from 2:30 to 7:30 but still got off early enough for other responsibilities. It was easier as I had my own car and the job was mellow and left lots of time for studying on-the-clock (and it was allowed).

Anyway, it seems like fewer places these days are willing to hire 16 year olds compared to when I was that age. I am hoping the SA CD folks might know of places / employers that DO hire 16 year old kids and are willing to give them something like 15 hours a week, or at least fewer hours on school days.

So I'm looking for places that you know of that hire at this age and respect the educational needs of their teenage employees.

Thanks.
Six Flags Fiesta Texas is hiring a boatload of young kids. You have to be 15 and up. So I think you should go for it.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Six Flags Fiesta Texas is hiring a boatload of young kids. You have to be 15 and up. So I think you should go for it.
Thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps it will help others reading the thread too... I'd heard they hire at 15. I know a lot of folks have this same question and a lot more of SA seems to live "out there" (as I call it). We are almost downtown.

With one car though it's wayyyyyyy too far in my son's case. I can't imagine how many buses he'd have to take to get there. I'm not driving him... he'd use up all his earnings in gas if so. Maybe if he could get weekends only though?

He has a friend that does (or did?) face painting and caricatures and such at either Fiesta Texas or maybe it was Sea World, can't remember. Some friend in his art class.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:24 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
My Son has worked for HEB for over 2 years since he was 16, he just went to Texas State and they got him a transfer to the store right near the campus.
He earns good money and has several $100 bonus a good place to work and clean too.
They just got $100 bonus if they worked the week during hurricane Ike, cool .

Old 10-09-2008, 09:48 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Well, it's not a regular job/income but I'm looking for a HS kid who wants to do some odd jobs. Physical stuff though - little things, nothing that would require a professional, just more than I can handle at the moment. My neighbor has someone who's been great, but they're keeping him too busy now...

Old 10-10-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Well, it's not a regular job/income but I'm looking for a HS kid who wants to do some odd jobs. Physical stuff though - little things, nothing that would require a professional, just more than I can handle at the moment. My neighbor has someone who's been great, but they're keeping him too busy now...
Chaka; how often do you think you'd need stuff done? If he can do stuff here and there within his current work schedule he'd probably be glad for the extra money. DM me if you'd like. He's pretty good at hauling/carrying/mowing/etc. If you can handle him looking odd. :P (he's only wild LOOKING, i promise)

Old 10-10-2008, 07:27 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Chaka; how often do you think you'd need stuff done? If he can do stuff here and there within his current work schedule he'd probably be glad for the extra money. DM me if you'd like. He's pretty good at hauling/carrying/mowing/etc. If you can handle him looking odd. :P (he's only wild LOOKING, i promise)
He'd fit in well in our 'hood then

How often will basically depend on how much he wants to work. We've got about a million projects going on with this house - most of the big stuff we do ourselves, but there's a ton of small stuff too. I'll DM you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio