Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:31 PM

428 posts, read 1,065,469 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live outside Phoenix, AZ and are seriously considering relocating to the Austin/San Antonio area. We have a six-month-old son, which is one of the main reasons for the possible move.

We’ve booked a trip to the area for mid April for a few days and want to maximize our time spent in the area. We’ll be staying with friends in the northern Austin suburbs, but want to spend just about all day, every day exploring the area & looking for a good place to settle down.

We feel drawn to New Braunfels and San Marcos (or similar towns about that distance from Aus/San) based on what we’ve seen on the internet, but know that what you see on the ‘net isn’t always a good representation. We’ve also taken a liking to the Dripping Springs area, as we’re not really looking for “cookie cutter” homes or flat land.

Of interest to us (in no particular order):

1) Not living in the downtown area, but not in ‘Timbuk 5’ either. We like people, just don’t want them sitting in our lap all the time.

2) A good family-friendly neighborhood/town with parks, playgrounds and good schools. Preferably not in a flood plain. We need a 4-5 bedroom house and want at least 1-2 acres. Price range: $2-300k if we can find something we like in that range.

3) A good bible-based Church. We’re VERY involved in our church here and will miss it greatly, but hope to get plugged in with one there ASAP once we arrive.

4) We don’t mind being a little ways from the hustle and bustle, but would prefer to not have to take a 45 minute round trip every time we need anything from the store (we did that once and there’s only so many 45 minute round trips one can take for a stick of butter before it gets really old).

5) We need hi-speed internet, as I’m a freelance writer (as well as a High School Football Coach) and need internet access to send files to my publishers and the artists I work with.

6) My wife grew up in the Twin Cities and moved to Phoenix in the late 90s. I grew up in DC and moved to Phoenix in 2000 (by way of So Cal), so we understand weather extremes and really want to find something that’s not “Blast Furnace” or “Ice Box” or “Sauna”, but something that’s somewhere in between all that. We don’t love humidity, but also don’t love 120* at 5pm or -40* at 5am.

7) Health Care. Healthcare in Phoenix is atrocious. We need to know we can trust our Dr.s, as well as our son’s pediatrician.

So, any thoughts/insight/suggestions or general well wishes would be greatly appreciated.

(cross posted on the Austin boards, also)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 06:07 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,781,170 times
Boerne, Boerne, Boerne.

I am sure you'll love it. It's far away from the hustle and bustle but close enough and big enough to have the amenities you are looking for. Health care is very good as well.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:44 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,294,766 times
Cibolo/Schertz area....not sure where what you and your spouse's professions are though. Good luck in your search!

Old 03-18-2009, 06:10 AM

Boerne, Cibolo & Schertz added to the list. Thanks!

Old 03-18-2009, 06:26 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,489,512 times
i was going to recommend Boerne as well...we live in Boerne, apx 4miles or so entering the city limits and we love it...

also, Fair Oaks Ranch is right by this area as well, just outside Leon Springs...it's a great location as well...

Old 03-18-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
i was going to recommend Boerne as well...we live in Boerne, apx 4miles or so entering the city limits and we love it...

also, Fair Oaks Ranch is right by this area as well, just outside Leon Springs...it's a great location as well...
Looking into what data we can find on the net (which is always questionable), Boerne doesn't seem to have the greatest schools. Do you find that to be true or no?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 PM

10 posts, read 23,249 times
I am interested in this subject as well. We are also relocating to the area.

I have read through your requirements and it appears that your needs mirror our own. That is why I decided to post my personal experiences and opinion on relocating.

I have been researching since november of 2008 and I have found that New Braunfels, Cibolo/Schertz and the Northside ISD are the best choice. As far as not being on top of your neighbor I have seen in my personal searches New Braunfels, Cibolo and Schertz.

Most of the homes that are large enough, safe enough for our tastes (no major busy streets, quiet neighborhood feel, etc) are the newer homes and they are your tract type homes in the San Antonio area (Northwest side) VERY close to one another with little to no yard. We have 2 boys and a yard is very important.

Now bear in mind Im not slamming the other areas of town I am just referencing to what I have seen in the areas that we have been shown.

I am 1 1/2 hours out of S.A. right now so I have the luxury of travelling there on the weekends and look around.

I have also been told from a realtor that what you find on the NE side you will find on the NW side as far as home type...*WE* didnt necessarily see that but there you go.

I am totally open for more input on this. It is so very hard to relocate to a place you are not familiar with.

Regards,

bwauer

Old 03-18-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwauer View Post
I am interested in this subject as well. We are also relocating to the area.

I have read through your requirements and it appears that your needs mirror our own. That is why I decided to post my personal experiences and opinion on relocating.

I have been researching since november of 2008 and I have found that New Braunfels, Cibolo/Schertz and the Northside ISD are the best choice. As far as not being on top of your neighbor I have seen in my personal searches New Braunfels, Cibolo and Schertz.

Most of the homes that are large enough, safe enough for our tastes (no major busy streets, quiet neighborhood feel, etc) are the newer homes and they are your tract type homes in the San Antonio area (Northwest side) VERY close to one another with little to no yard. We have 2 boys and a yard is very important.

Now bear in mind Im not slamming the other areas of town I am just referencing to what I have seen in the areas that we have been shown.

I am 1 1/2 hours out of S.A. right now so I have the luxury of travelling there on the weekends and look around.

I have also been told from a realtor that what you find on the NE side you will find on the NW side as far as home type...*WE* didnt necessarily see that but there you go.

I am totally open for more input on this. It is so very hard to relocate to a place you are not familiar with.

Regards,

bwauer
I'd be very interested in hearing more, if our desires are dovetailing. And I totally agree about the last part. I've moved to another state twice already and we bought a house in Spokane (but ended up never moving & sold it) so I can certainly agree with how difficult it is/can be when you're not familiar with the area...

Old 03-18-2009, 12:46 PM

10 posts, read 23,249 times
Runemaster I would be happy to let you know what I learn as I research. Yes, our needs do seem to dovetail

We are considering renting a townhome or apartment in NB so we can at least be closer to my husband's work in S.A. and since we are seriously leaning towards NB (New Braunfels) it seemed like the logical choice. Rent for 6 months or a year and look to purchase after. /shrug

Yes my husband commutes 1 1/2 hours one way 5 days a week LOL. We need to relocate!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Runemaster I would be happy to let you know what I learn as I research. Yes, our needs do seem to dovetail

We are considering renting a townhome or apartment in NB so we can at least be closer to my husband's work in S.A. and since we are seriously leaning towards NB (New Braunfels) it seemed like the logical choice. Rent for 6 months or a year and look to purchase after. /shrug
Yes, we figure renting is the way to go until we hav the 'lay of the land".

Quote:
Yes my husband commutes 1 1/2 hours one way 5 days a week LOL. We need to relocate!
My wife used to do that here and she was miserable because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio