Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 01:04 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatEllis View Post
"***** Hill" in Helotes, not sure which street is is but it's a very steep climb for only the best drivers.
I believe that is Tower View Road, just off of Scenic Loop about a half mile in from Rt 16 on the right....it's pretty dang steep!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 02:04 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
>>>The Alamo Drive-In on Austin Highway. Not sure when it disappeared but I used to play in the playground right under the screen while my sister and her boyfriend did whatever they did in the back row of the drive-in. <<<<

The Alamo Drive In was closed and demolished in the fall of 1972. I worked there it's final summer. It hadn't had much maintenance in the last few years, and was quite an eyesore the last year it was in operation.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:19 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
Me and a couple of friends kept horses out Randolph Blvd on some land leased by the Winn family. We were riding along Eisenhauer Rd near the KTSA towers and some dudes threw a couple of bottles at us. Well, they pulled over and this fight ensued. Funniest thing. 4-6 guys fighting in the middle of Eisenhauer, horses running loose.....this was probably around the late sixties.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 10,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Funniest thing. 4-6 guys fighting in the middle of Eisenhauer, horses running loose.....this was probably around the late sixties.

Only in San Antonio.

I lived downtown in 1981 and remember someone egging a homeless guy to jump off one of the bridges into the River (OK, it was me...) We finally came up with $20 and he jumped...and broke his leg because the water was like 4' deep. We split in a hurry but I'm sure with his $20 and a hospital visit he ate good for a week or so.

A lot of us had CB radios and spent time on Channel 14 in the mid 70's, we used to have "breaks" at LBJ park once in a while. There was a cave on the side of a hill there that we used to sneak off to.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:54 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
>>>The Alamo Drive-In on Austin Highway. Not sure when it disappeared but I used to play in the playground right under the screen while my sister and her boyfriend did whatever they did in the back row of the drive-in. <<<<

The Alamo Drive In was closed and demolished in the fall of 1972. I worked there it's final summer. It hadn't had much maintenance in the last few years, and was quite an eyesore the last year it was in operation.
I am not for sure but didn't it become the Austin Hiway Flea market? Didn't it have little neon cars moving along the bottom when you drove in? I used to sell dumpster junk at the Austin Hiway flea market

Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
I remember the AH Flea market in the late 70's, guess it opened after the drive in closed.

Also something for the people who remember the late 60's and 70's, anyone remember the mexateria on Broadway?? If so have a funny story to share about it.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I am not for sure but didn't it become the Austin Hiway Flea market? Didn't it have little neon cars moving along the bottom when you drove in? I used to sell dumpster junk at the Austin Hiway flea market
It was a flea market for many years after the drive in closed. They tore the screen down, but I think they used the projection room and snack bar for office space.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:05 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
OUTA they sure did, the whole drive in feel was there till the day is closed.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:11 AM

237 posts, read 850,964 times
Default Mexateria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Also something for the people who remember the late 60's and 70's, anyone remember the mexateria on Broadway?? If so have a funny story to share about it.
Only went to Broadway's Mexateria once as it was a poor excuse for Tex-Mex although certainly affordable. I could use a good laff so sock it to us!

Old 07-17-2010, 02:16 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Only went to Broadway's Mexateria once as it was a poor excuse for Tex-Mex although certainly affordable. I could use a good laff so sock it to us!
Once for me too Bud!! Mid to late 60's! Closer to mid with a friend that delivered papers and the paper, Light or Express had a get together there. It's all I recall about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio