Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times

Advertisements

I recall a T.V Repair shop I believe in this building...

Google Maps

Maybe up into the 70's or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
In the early 80's his shop was on S Flores before he moved to the S Presa location. The only other television repair shop that I can recall in this whole area besides his was Hopp's out on Fair Ave but I am sure there had to be more TV shops then in the area since I was just a kid then but I would have known if he had competition that close, at least when he was in operation.

You are still very close! Unless there was another television repair shop his was just a block down on the SE corner of S Presa and School St.

It is that beige building that has a banner listing it as Briones Fast Cash Tax. Right north of that building are some rails, we used to jump through them onto the grass below or run around them.

When he closed shop and retired he sold his land to the little roach motel next door which is called Sueno Motel. The fence that runs around all that property used to only encircle the motel parking lot, you can still see the curb of the motel parking lot which used to be where the old fence was at and the diving line between his and their property which is now all one.

Unsure if Google is acting funny though and you had actually meant that place, when I clicked it took me to a green building with a visible address of 3312 S Presa.

The pink building across the street still has the Torero Mexican Restaurant sign but it is now a bar and not a restaurant. Councilwomen Ramos' parents used to own that recently or still do as I see a campaign sign on that building for her.

Directly across the street from the old TV shop is still an ice house with drive-thru service which appears faded orange now.

Then the next building south of that, on the SW corner of Presa and Hansford, used to be Shirley's grocery store (at least half of that building was) but now the whole building is a laundromat. We used to go there to buy Orange Crushes and other sodas in the bottle then take em back for a nickel...or was it a dime?

Definitely memory lane for me.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
It's interesting that payphones here in the US disappear, and overseas they function well and are rather sophisticated: you can surf the web, send email and check your web based email account, send text messages to mobile phones, and make telephone calls.

Here is a nice website about payphones:
world payphone images- home

Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 AM

I was actually looking for rails which i thought I recalled out front. But no, I think it was the 3312 building or the one just south of it. Just can't recall if it had parking in front or on the street. Those buildings have seen more faces over the years than Joan Rivers. Regardless this must have been earlier than your time. Bought a new motorcycle at a Honda dealer up the street in 65'. Glad they finally tore down the old eyesore apartment mess at Glenwood. On Flores (my real neighborhood) there was Storch Bros near White Ave. That was the 60's and 70's.. Then another TV shop just north of it next door practically. Forgot the name but the lady who's dad ran it now lives in Rockport. She sent me a CD with the Grand opening brochure for the Harlandale Theater 1928. Great kick to see. Early 80's I was living out near Boerne so didn't get in much. Still owned my home in Harlandale.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's interesting that payphones here in the US disappear, and overseas they function well and are rather sophisticated: you can surf the web, send email and check your web based email account, send text messages to mobile phones, and make telephone calls.

Very interesting, I had no idea they were keeping pace with technology in other areas. I wonder how many coins all of that (e-mail, web surfing) would require?

Which brings me to another memory, when payphones started being on timers and would ask you to keep feeding them quarters >_<

In the "Recently sent pics" section of that site you linked has some interesting backgrounds. Currently they are showing two yellow booths, one of them got crashed into lol and a booth that appears in the middle of the Australian outback (desert-looking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I was actually looking for rails which i thought I recalled out front. But no, I think it was the 3312 building or the one just south of it. Just can't recall if it had parking in front or on the street. Those buildings have seen more faces over the years than Joan Rivers. Regardless this must have been earlier than your time. Bought a new motorcycle at a Honda dealer up the street in 65'. Glad they finally tore down the old eyesore apartment mess at Glenwood. On Flores (my real neighborhood) there was Storch Bros near White Ave. That was the 60's and 70's.. Then another TV shop just north of it next door practically. Forgot the name but the lady who's dad ran it now lives in Rockport. She sent me a CD with the Grand opening brochure for the Harlandale Theater 1928. Great kick to see. Early 80's I was living out near Boerne so didn't get in much. Still owned my home in Harlandale.
I remember the Glenwood being trashy and dangerous in the '80s and early '90s. Stabbing, domestic violence, brawls, drugs, you name it! I always kept a wide distance from that place even avoiding having to walk/skate(board) in front of it and choosing the other side of Presa if I had to pass through there before crossing back to my grandfather's.

Spoiler
BTW the name of his shop was Cervantes Color TV (something or another) #3 (I believe). His sons had other shops in small S Texas towns which is where he began although it was my parents who first moved to San Antonio with him following years later.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 AM

Yep it was really bad in later years and trashy. I remember the name of the shop just can't place it. S. Flores' faces have changed as much as S.Presa's over the years.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:21 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Forcing cell phone use,

I know ELina, With barely any pay phones out there the population is manipulated toward cell phone ownership for any emergency use. I have de-activated my smartphone and carry my old razorphone
that I used in 09' nowadays. I prepay $10.00 and they give me 30 minutes airtime for 90 days.
And...each electrical charge lasts for days on the little phone... and it has internet access.
I do not need to pay a monthly bill in order to carry a computer around in my pocket. I still have my landline and was paying for both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Old 04-09-2013, 08:17 AM

265 posts, read 534,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I recall a T.V Repair shop I believe in this building...

Google Maps

Maybe up into the 70's or later.
Wasn't that also a CB radio repair shop as well? I remember taking a radio there ~ 1987. I also purchased an AstroPlane from that shop.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:29 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
Was the name of that TV repair shop, by any chance, DeWall's TV Repair?

Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 PM

4 posts, read 9,431 times
Default places i remember

comanche hill
donkey lady bridge
midget mansion
the trestles
look out hill
Alamo dragway
panamerican speed way
kiddy park
playland park
winns
tg&y
fed mart
best
mr m's
quik mart
conaco
petro
chiefs auto parts
race track gas stations
krogers
pigly wigly
handy andy
handy dandy
waterbed designs
wool worth
ray elison
lone star & ice
mr w fire works
Alamo fire works
pancho's
dante's pizza
mr gattis
godfather pizza
levits furnature
the wonder bread billboard on hw 37 I think. the one where the bread would rotate
egg farm that was on thousand oaks
shooting range that was on thousand oaks
air plane grave yard at wetmore and starcrest
cable buggies that were over 281
Dive in theater off hw35 going to new braunfels
and that's all I can remember right now

Last edited by hoppedupford; 04-10-2013 at 12:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio