Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 09:08 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The Knave was in a small strip center at the corner of Austin Hwy and Rainbow. That club is now a bar called Rascal's. The Shakey's pizza parlor was located a few doors up the street from the Knave, and was actually still in business in the early days of the Knave. The Shakey's building is still there, but whatever it is now is not open to the general public. The property is kept maintained, and has a wrought iron fence around it.

I vaguely remember the Elbow Room. I think it was further down the road near Lanark. I'm not sure what's there now, but I don't think the Elbow Room name exists anymore.

The biker bar sounds like it would have been Lil' Sturgis. It's a tire shop now. Lil Sturgis was midway between Vandiver and Rainbow.

The pegasus was indeed restored a number of years ago after the Mobil station closed. The building was renovated and converted into retail space.

The Ramada was located just beyond Terrell Plaza, on the same side of the street. It still exists as a motel today, but it is no longer a Ramada. Sevenoaks closed around 1999 or 2000, and the former golf course, along with what was originally a drive-in movie theater, is now a Walmart store. The abandoned Sevenoaks was destroyed by something like a zillion-alarm fire around '03-'04, and a new apartment community was just completed on that property.
The Knave
I met my wife at the Knave. It was "Ladies Night" so I went over there and got me one. As of last year we have been married 30 years. We went there a few years ago to RASCALS. It had changed some but not much. They rearranged the bar some and moved the dance floor but I could still guesstimate the spot on the floor where our table was that night. Funny, I don't think we ever went back to that club after meeting there that night until we went to Rascals a few years ago.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 06:23 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Anyone know when that Shakey's closed?
I think all of the San Antonio Shakey's closed around 1984-1985.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:27 AM

136 posts, read 331,807 times
Mmmm Earl Abel's flashback time ! Back in the early 50's my Dad and Mom and I went there to eat the first Sunday of the month. I loved the signs posted around the dining room and was always puzzled by some which seemed to be written in a foreign language. One in particular read : "Wieissder zomani mororzzesazzes denderiz orzzes?" I asked my Dad what it said, and he winked and told me to keep working on it. One Sunday I finally figured it out, and blurted out loud "Why are there so many more horses a**es than there are horses"?, drawing laughter from the other diners, and managing to embarass my Mom.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:07 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
I remember something like a 3 D popsicle stick puzzle or maybe painting hanging on the wall. We would go there occasionally on Sundays maybe other days.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:09 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I think all of the San Antonio Shakey's closed around 1984-1985.
I would have thought sooner !! They were short lived. Fargo's was here by then maybe even gone by then. Don't think they existed together here.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:37 PM

237 posts, read 851,036 times
Thank you GWhopper for the news clipping about the Kit Kat Klub. Jones mentions being in business 13 years at that time but there's no date in the clipping. Any idea when that article appeared in the paper? I'm told that the made over building is still there on Fred. Road but the KKK closed many years ago so there's no sign of its former life as a night club.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:47 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,617 times
I remember going to shakey's around 1980 and fargo's goes as far back as 83. I remember around 1996 fargo's opened up a place at university bowl but it did not last long.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:22 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Thank you GWhopper for the news clipping about the Kit Kat Klub. Jones mentions being in business 13 years at that time but there's no date in the clipping. Any idea when that article appeared in the paper? I'm told that the made over building is still there on Fred. Road but the KKK closed many years ago so there's no sign of its former life as a night club.
It was from February 14th, 1952. I may go try and take a picture of the building as it exists today over the weekend. I thing these VFW posts are open to the public. I know the one on the new riverwalk extenstion is.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
It was from February 14th, 1952. I may go try and take a picture of the building as it exists today over the weekend. I thing these VFW posts are open to the public. I know the one on the new riverwalk extenstion is.
In the Newspaper archives, I can find no article later than 1962 for it. I don't know if the owner died, or they went out of business. I would be surprised if it simply went out of business. I found numerous articles about various clubs and weddings and even a high school football team having receptions, celebrations, and meetings there. In 1962, it still seemed like the place to be.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I would have thought sooner !! They were short lived. Fargo's was here by then maybe even gone by then. Don't think they existed together here.
I specifically remember going there in the summer of 1984 with my girlfriend. It was one of those summers you don't forget, probably the last great summer of my youth. In 1984, they started doing a pizza buffet on Tuesday or Wednesday nights. I remember her little sister went with us once, she was like 9 or 10 at the time. The little sister ate a WHOLE pizza all by herself and was so proud of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio