Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 10:13 AM

62 posts, read 149,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Mobil of course ! Don't know why all of a sudden it didn't sound right.
Actually, the pegasus was the logo for Magnolia Petroleum out of Dallas before it was absorbed into Mobil in 1959.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Greyhound View Post
Actually, the pegasus was the logo for Magnolia Petroleum out of Dallas before it was absorbed into Mobil in 1959.
Great info !! Thank you 86 Greyhound.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:53 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Just ran across this in the SA Express News Archives for 1974. I was in college and I suppose X-rated theaters were not in my radar. (not that they are now...just happened to be on the same page I was researshing.)

I didn't know that the Josephine Theather was playing x-rated movies at one time. Listed in July of 1974 was "The Passion Seekers" and one I probably can't post. The other three theaters listed were "The Joy Adult Theater" at 232 Broadway, "The King Arts Adult Theater" at 234 Broadway and the "Capri Adult Theater" at 1434 N Main. The latter three were billed at XXX-rated.

That was a hot little neighborhood at one period!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:12 AM

Wow....heres are really long gone and totally forgotten one. I have never heard of this. Still searching and finding little nuggets here and there.

Behind the Alamo at 324 Crocket was the "New" Midtown Roller Drome! date - August 1950.

That same page shows a theater by the name of the "Prince"..no address listed. They were running a show called "The Red Menace"....touted as the true expose of Communist activity in America. Along side that at the "Uptown" theater was the Return of Rin Tin Tin. Again..no address.
Same Date 1950.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Wow....heres are really long gone and totally forgotten one. I have never heard of this. Still searching and finding little nuggets here and there.

Behind the Alamo at 324 Crocket was the "New" Midtown Roller Drome! date - August 1950.

That same page shows a theater by the name of the "Prince"..no address listed. They were running a show called "The Red Menace"....touted as the true expose of Communist activity in America. Along side that at the "Uptown" theater was the Return of Rin Tin Tin. Again..no address.
Same Date 1950.
Well Cat, seems like Prince was on the old theaters lists. Uptown is on Fred Rd 1/2 way Between I-10 and 5 points. Been converted into a church or something! It was the sister theater to the Harlandale theater on S. Flores. GY will have info. The photo of the Uptown is in GBNF stuff! The theater is in close proximity to the old Pianta Shop. The man who did the original plaster work in the Majestic Theater. Mud could tell you!! The Prince was probably near East side on Commerce or Houston near downtown probably. Pianta was a couple blks south of the theater I believe. Rin Tin Tin I loved that dog!

Old 07-03-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Thanks GW and satx56. Go forth and preserve history. I'm stuck over in Seguin (and they don't have any). Otherwise I'd be there with you. Good luck.
Sagabiel's (sp)

Old 07-03-2009, 05:50 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Well Cat, seems like Prince was on the old theaters lists. The Prince was probably near East side on Commerce or Houston near downtown probably.
The Prince Theatre was listed at 113 W Houston St.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:19 PM

237 posts, read 851,429 times
The old Prince Theater sat on West Houston St. across the river from the Texas Theater and in its later years was definitely skidding toward the dumpster. About 1964 or so a handful of us guys went to the Prince and saw "Three Nuts in Search of a Bolt" starring blond bombshell Mamie Van Doren which was naughty in ways now acceptable on TV. What I'll always remember about that walk on the wild side was that the first three or four rows of seats being full of young Airman fresh out of Basic Training at Lackland. Like the rest of us it was the first time to see a voluptuous starlet in the buff and a couple of those kids were taking snapshots with flash cameras. Each time the screen filled with Mamie's boobs a pair of flash bulbs popped and the audience yelled insults at the young shutterbugs. That, my friends is something you don't forget and forty odd years later y'all now know about it. In 1966 I left San Antonio for UT Austin and never again crossed the Prince's increasingly funky threshold but as the years slipped by I noticed it had become much more sordid as had the other venues mentioned previously. Some of the drive-ins went the same route and then their revenues really fell off when VCRs came along and people began renting tapes instead of going to theaters of any kind for while. So it goes.

Last edited by BudB; 07-03-2009 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: minor deletion

Old 07-03-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
The old Prince Theater sat on West Houston St. across the river from the Texas Theater and in its later years was definitely skidding toward the dumpster. About 1964 or so a handful of us guys went to the Prince and saw "Three Nuts in Search of a Bolt" starring blond bombshell Mamie Van Doren which was naughty in ways now acceptable on TV. What I'll always remember about that walk on the wild side was that the first three or four rows of seats being full of young Airman fresh out of Basic Training at Lackland. Like the rest of us it was the first time to see a voluptuous starlet in the buff and a couple of those kids were taking snapshots with flash cameras. Each time the screen filled with Mamie's boobs a pair of flash bulbs popped and the audience yelled insults at the young shutterbugs. That, my friends is something you don't forget and forty odd years later y'all now know about it. In 1966 I left San Antonio for UT Austin and never again crossed the Prince's increasingly funky threshold but as the years slipped by I noticed it had become much more sordid as had the other venues mentioned previously. Some of the drive-ins went the same route and then their revenues really fell off when VCRs came along and people began renting tapes instead of going to theaters of any kind for while. So it goes.

LOL!!!! I love this story!! Bud...you can certainly tell a good tale! Wonder if the pictures came out???

Old 07-03-2009, 06:28 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,840,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The Prince Theatre was listed at 113 W Houston St.
The Prince was located across the river and next door to the Texas theatre. The parking lot that can be seen on the west side of the river across from the Texas was the Prince Theatre.

From my theatre site.

Prince Theatre was located at 113 W. Houston Street, across the river from the Texas Theatre. It opened in 1936 and closed in 1969. The theatre was called the Strand Theatre, 1917-1920; New Strand Theatre, 1920-1936.

[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio