Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 09:39 AM

237 posts, read 851,637 times

Advertisements

In the recent past there's been mention a few times of Dibbles Toy Store. This will date me a bit but does anyone else remember when Dibbles was still downtown right across from the Alamo and just east of Medical Arts? My faded memory of that shop is mostly of electric trains with some model kits too. Any know when Dibbles moved out onto Donaldson? Another downtown shop that I haunted beginning in the late 1950s was Alamo Hobby Shop near Paul Anderson Co. Across the street about in the middle of the block was another hobby shop that I cannot recall the name of but it was literally a mom & pop operation. Small and crowded with shelves but the kits were all behind counters and you had to point out which kit you wanted to see. The couple was fairly old by the time I found it and not all that friendly until you bought something. Alamo Hobby was also a man & wife store that was long and wide. You could at least handle the kits freely to consider which one you wanted in there. Both shops had specialized in balsa kits and scratch built supplies for many years but still had more plastic than a Winns or Sommers Drug. And let's not forget Dick's hobby Shop in Terrell Plaza on Austin Hi-way. Way out of my Highland Park neighborhood but worth an occasional trip. Any ladies out there who built models back in the day? Here are few model boxes to jog a memory or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-b-24.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-mustang.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-harbor-tug.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-32-ford.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 01:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
There was Lang's Hobby Shop on S.Flores street. That's where i got most of my model cars in the early 60's. Sometimes I would go to Kiddie City out Pleasanton Road. But, Lang's was a mom & pop ...shop up front they lived in the back. They had many things and we tried most as kids. I built lots of models. Made cracked marble keychains. Wove the lace thingies for keychains. Molded plaster Paris objects. They had r/c model airplane equipment even back then . They used real servo-mechanisms then. Those were the days.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:31 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,141,299 times
Bud ~

When I got in to models, it was my next door neighbor and I doing Big Daddy Roth. We bought them a Kiddie City on loop 410 & between Jones-Maltsberger & McCullough.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
ok these are my late seventies early eighties motorcycle stories. This was actually all my younger brothers friends but cool ( they let me rid them)!. The Ultimate bike was the KZ1000. Kawasaki. It was a really smooth bike with all kinds of power. They let me ride it. The other was a 500 cc two stroke Yamaha. The fastest bike I ever rode. Absolutely unbelievable.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:23 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
Hey BudB. My sisters never did models. I can't think of a female who ever did models. It's a guy thing. My sisters did "Paper Dolls". You know ..you cut out dresses and put them on these thick cardboard models. They used to love to do that. Who knows why. They liked "Paint by Number" . They also liked "Plaster of Paris" molds. Jon Nagy "Learn to Draw" was very popular. My sister gave me a Duncan YoYo for christmas.. I think I might find her some paper dolls!

Old 02-27-2010, 06:57 PM

178 posts, read 459,115 times
Yeah, how times have changed. I don't think I was ever carded at The House. The LEOs we skirmished with would go out of their way NOT to issue a DWI. The reason - they felt the penalties were way out of proportion to the offense. Imagine that! If they could find someone in the car who wasn't too tipsy they put them behind the wheel and sent us on. If a person got mouthy or acted out they would write a PI.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:16 PM

178 posts, read 459,115 times
The pieces kinda' fell into that Jeff Loop road area, didn't they? When me and my buddy rode up they hadn't yellow taped it yet. I remember standing by the smoking engine, the biggest piece. My dad was an aero engineer, had investigated a lot of crash scenes, he told me that airplane crashes were always unimpressive, just a bunch of smoking pieces and a little burnt ground. Train wrecks, he said, were impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
We were in our yard the day that plane went down - it blew apart almost over the house (on Sawyer Road), and landed (mostly) on El Verde - that's the street that runs alongside where the old T&L Ice House used to be.

Man, I'm trying, but I can't bring that to mind.

And don't forget LV's SuperBee....standing offer was if you could outrun 'em, no ticket. Not many did....

Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 AM

237 posts, read 851,637 times
Default Ice Houses

[quote=TexasRedneck;13062290]... on El Verde - that's the street that runs alongside where the old T&L Ice House used to be.
Speaking of old Ice Houses, can anyone tell us how many of the iconic San Antonio drive-thrus are still operating? Hopefully a bunch but it seems that each time I'm in SA I see another one closed so am now wondering how many survive. Here's the long closed Neighborhood Ice on Gevers between Rigsby and Highland streets and the still open and looking good Hi-Slope Ice at Rigsby & Clark. Hope there are more like it that continue the legacy.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-ice-house.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-hi-slope.jpeg  

Old 03-02-2010, 01:45 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,736 times
Murphy's on Clark is still open, but don't think they have the drive thru anymore. Acree on E. White near Presa I think is still open. Stanley's on Presa is still open I think. H&R on Goliad is still open. Richters on Rigsby near W.W. White is open under a different name.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:43 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
Vector - when did you live in LV, and where? Where'd ya go to school? I was a JMHS Senior in '73....but we moved, and I went into the Navy. Grew up in our hardware store in LV - my folks wouldn't let me work in our liquor store....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio