Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2010, 07:03 PM

136 posts, read 331,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchena View Post
I remember fondly:
MacArthur Park -Agreed
Playland Park - Oh, Yea. Ridin' the Rocket!!!
North Star Mall - No Malls yet, went downtown. Kresses, Walgreens, etc
Joskes - Especially the little train that ran for the parking.
Sunken Gardens - Always popular parking and making out place.
KTSA radio bonfires! - KTSA in general. Rock and Roll all day and night!
Earl Abels after prom - Youngblood's, Christie's and Tai Shan, too.
The Sound of Music at the Majestic Theater - Saw King Kong at Aztec, Hope/Crosby "Road" shows at Majestic, monster flicks at the Texas.
Shakeys Pizza - No one knew what pizza was. Local BBQ was hot.
Alamo Drive-In - Austin Hwy - Must have been a dozen drive-ins back then.
Also: Lone Star ice houses for tamales and RC, Running Bear for an occasional beer or two, The Flame burgers and chicken, Street racing, glass paks, the pool at Roosevelt park, and lots of other wonderful stuff. Long gone, but not forgotten.
MacArthur Park -Agreed

The Sound of Music at the Majestic Theater - Saw King Kong at Aztec, Hope/Crosby "Road" shows at Majestic, monster flicks at the Texas.

Alamo Drive-In - Austin Hwy - Must have been a dozen drive-ins back then. Only thing more abundant was bowling alleys.

Also: Lone Star ice houses for tamales and RC, Running Bear for an occasional beer or two, The Flame burgers and chicken, Street racing, glass paks, the pool at Roosevelt park, and lots of other wonderful stuff. Long gone, but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 10:21 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
MacArthur Park -Agreed

Alamo Drive-In - Austin Hwy - Must have been a dozen drive-ins back then. Only thing more abundant was bowling alleys.

My first ever pizza was at Shakeys on San Pedro.

Those Patio tamales at Lone Star Ice Houses cost 25 cents for 1/2 dozen, and they were GOOD!

"The Sound Of Music" played a record 88 weeks (still unbroken) at North Star Cinema, 1965-66.

There have been 22 drive ins in San Antonio. The Alamo was the second one built. I worked there as a projectionist it's last summer in 1972.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 17,333 times
Fajita Junction: YES! There was one on the parking lot on Thousand Oaks and Nacodoches, where Thrifttown is or was (IDK, I live in Aurora, CO). Pretty good tacos. I remember that before that one particular location was a Fajita Junction, mid 80's, it was a Karamel Korn. My mom used to buy me a 7up there on our way home. As we walked by, I could smell the popcorn.
Fajita Junction had the Fajita Pita. Good stuff.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 10,472 times
Default Looking for some help

Hi. I recently found some old photographs from 1955 at an antique shop in Raleigh, NC. The photos have the name "Studer S.A. Texas" on them. I'm trying to find out more about these photos. Do you know if Studer was an actual store that people got their photos processed at? Do you have any idea where it was located? Even a street it was near? Anything you might remember about it would be very helpful. The photographs are of three little white boys and two little black girls. This sort of thing was unheard of back then. The photos were taken a few months before Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus. Any info you have would be very helpful. Thank you.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:44 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,230,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccadobkin View Post
Hi. I recently found some old photographs from 1955 at an antique shop in Raleigh, NC. The photos have the name "Studer S.A. Texas" on them. I'm trying to find out more about these photos. Do you know if Studer was an actual store that people got their photos processed at? Do you have any idea where it was located? Even a street it was near?
Studer was a dominant chain of portrait studio and photo processing labs in San Antonio years ago. They had locations all over town -- probably at least a half dozen in the mid-1950s.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:50 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,213 times
Studer's motto was: "When a camera clicks, think of Studer's" I had many portraits done there.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:31 AM

28 posts, read 153,731 times
My husband seems to think Studers main store was on San Pedro, but he is not sure. His family picture was taken there about 1944 or 45. He remembers Fox studios was on Broadway.

My husband worked for the TXDOT, and remembers right before Hemisfair, the original Pig Stand was torn down and relocated to where it is today. He says there was also another Pig Stand across from Lions Field on Broadway. The manager's name was Marty, who was eventually fired.

He mentioned a place called The Toddel House, kinda a greasy spoon where you could get pancakes, etc. one on Fredericksburg and one on San Pedro.

I was only 6 or 7 years old then. He is 20 years my senior, so remembers a lot of stuff from 40's and up in San Antonio. He just mentioned the Black Cow on Broadway, where you could get "a black cow", which was a root beer float.

So many memories to talk about. Growing up I lived in Balcones Heights, and also Monte Vista down on Mistletoe and McCullough. When I was really little, we would walk up Mistletoe to Main, and buy stuff at an old chinese grocery where Capparelli's is now. We also would get candy at Laurel Heights pharmacy.

Then we moved out to Jackson Keller off San Pedro. I graduated from Lee in 1980, worked at North Star in high school...First job out of high school was a police dispatcher at Castle Hills P.D. Anyone know any of the cops from back then???

Old 12-25-2010, 08:54 AM

Default Maggies/Reeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Someone earlier asked the question wasn't Maggie's Reid's Red Derby before it was Maggie's. Yes it was. Attached is an picture of it from when it was completed in 1973.

Not only did Janice Joplin sing there, there is suppose to be a famous picture of the Rolling Stone's having breakfast there. I've search the internet and couldn't find anything. If anybody else knows of it, please send me a link or post it here.
This is an old post, but yes, I remember the Rolling Stones picture. I was, and still am, a huge Stones fan, so I remember the pic well.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
The only thing I know about it was the same brothers who owned it, Mike and Felix Stehling, also started Taco Cabana. They bought the empty lot across the street from the Crystal Pistol for parking, and wanted to remove the structure that sat on it. After purchasing it, they found out city codes made it very expensive to demolish the structure, so they decided to sell tacos out of the place. Interesting fact, the reason all Taco Cabana's are open 24 hours now is that the first night the Stehling's opened their taco stand, they put a bunch of patio furniture around for people to sit. When they closed up for the night and came back in the morning, all the furniture was stolen. So they decided to keep the place open 24 hours a day to avoid theft.
Before it was the Taco Cabana there at Hildebrand and San Pedro, it was an old Dairy Queen. My parents used to take us there on the way home from church for ice cream. The Crystal Pistol, across the street, had an apartment upstairs, where Jay Silverheels used to live. He was Tonto from the TV series, The Lone Ranger...

Old 12-25-2010, 10:28 AM

Does anyone remember Angelo Slim and his Blue Star Play Boys? My husband was wondering.

How about Paul Jett, the mechanic who raced in a car called 97 Jr. at San Antonio Speedway? He is still living out north of San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio