Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 AM

61 posts, read 119,220 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find out if anyone remembers the trampolines that were intalled at the Brackenridge Park driving range sometime I think in the late 50's or early 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 03:11 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,546,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFREAK View Post
I am trying to find out if anyone remembers the trampolines that were intalled at the Brackenridge Park driving range sometime I think in the late 50's or early 60's.
I don't remember trampolines at Brackenridge but they might have been there. I think I remember Trampolines by the Rollercade. Maybe they were batting cages. I remember a go cart track there too.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:07 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert soliz View Post
S.P. the midget mansion was located on Mockingbird Lane off of Fredericks RD.just w. of Callaghan Rd..You could see the mansion from I-10 and Callaghan.Buddies and I would drive past there and stop,look thru the hedges and brush but never saw anything.This was back in 1972-73.Just recently .it was torn down to make way for a new Lowes.Story has it that yes there were midgets living there working as grounds keepers,portes etc.When the Circus came to town Barnum&Baily would hire them out to perform under the big top. asoliz
You're close, but Midget Mansion wasn't where Lowe's is, I think that was the Gillespie mansion. Midget mansion was near Medical where the Promontory Point apartments are now.

Here are some pictures I posted of photos of Midget Mansion on another thread here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/22296992-post13.html

Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 PM

136 posts, read 332,046 times
Rode the Rocket probably a couple of hundred times before I left SA back in the late 50's. It was pretty sad to come back for a visit and drive by to see it rotting away. My Mom wrote and told me someone had bought it and was moving it to Pennsylvania, and she was right. I found out where it went (Knoebels Amusement Resort in Elysburg, Pennsylvania) and made a point to go by there on a trip last year. It's called the Pheonix now and it's orange, but it's still fast as He##, and a ton of fun. Memories are like star light, they just go on forever.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:28 PM

263 posts, read 480,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Rode the Rocket probably a couple of hundred times before I left SA back in the late 50's. It was pretty sad to come back for a visit and drive by to see it rotting away. My Mom wrote and told me someone had bought it and was moving it to Pennsylvania, and she was right. I found out where it went (Knoebels Amusement Resort in Elysburg, Pennsylvania) and made a point to go by there on a trip last year. It's called the Pheonix now and it's orange, but it's still fast as He##, and a ton of fun. Memories are like star light, they just go on forever.
Well thats good to know that some else will be making the same memories as all of us that had the oppertunity.Its' just too bad that my grand kids won't get to enjoy it,but thank god we still good ol'KIDDIE PARK.The new owners got rid of the ROLLER COASTER because it was just too costly to keep up,and not to mention the liability.But my grand kids still enjoy it as did

Old 12-22-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
You're close, but Midget Mansion wasn't where Lowe's is, I think that was the Gillespie mansion. Midget mansion was near Medical where the Promontory Point apartments are now.

Here are some pictures I posted of photos of Midget Mansion on another thread here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/22296992-post13.html
Thanks for the photos,the one with the road leading up to it and where it turns left is Mockingbird Ln.Yea ,thats no where close to Lowes.I was thinking of the one that was recently torn down .Speaking of big homes,you know that mansion on the hill surronded by the MONTECIELLO Apts on Fredricksburg Rd.,that once was owned by Dick Jones ,Billboard Advertising and club owner of THE KIT KAT club.My parents both lived and worked on his estate,and worked at the club before it would open for business.Alot've famous people performed there from what I've.My mom took care of all the house work and took care of the children,Travis and Jenean.Just came back to me since the subject was about the area.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Ijust happened to drive by there the other day,I can still hear the Rocket rolling around and then hearing the chainlink getting caught by the sprokets taking it up the big rise to once more so it could crest the top and shoot you down that steep grade.Man what a rush that was I went to a fw KTSAfun days,u paid 5.50 and ride the rides all day long,what did I ride the most?,at laest 20 times in day ,u guessed it "the Rocket".Folks in PA,send me some feedback on that monster of a ride.It's great to know your enjoying it.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:07 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Jim Blanchard was quite the wrestling bruiser from that time here in S.A.He just died a few months ago.
Maybe longer, August, there was a short discussion about it at the time here. The ones I remember are Bruiser Brody, Kamala, The Sheik, Von Erick, the Freebirds, The Sheepherders
and Mil Mascaras(one thousand masks).
Funny stuff , looking back nowadays, the crazy costumes worn by the sheepherders and some others.
It has been a long time since I was a kid.
Joe Blanchard promoted Southwest Wrestling from 1978-84 at the junction at the corner of Blanco and Fulton, it was extreme wrestling before its time.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,155 times
Default Extreme Wrestling?

Never heard that one before. The article I read shortly after his death did include that he was a wrestling
promoter , I did not know this, but I remember his conducting on air interviews way
back when.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Joe Blanchard promoted Southwest Wrestling from 1978-84 at the junction at the corner of Blanco and Fulton, it was extreme wrestling before its time.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:34 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Never heard that one before. The article I read shortly after his death did include that he was a wrestling
promoter , I did not know this, but I remember his conducting on air interviews way
back when.
The mid 80's they were on the USA Network and the network was not happy about this match. It was known for their bloody matches.

Tully Blanchard v Eric Embry SCW BLOODY - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio