Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times

Advertisements

Navy Club at one time was run by a good friend, Able Villareal. He also had the San Jacinto Club and later the Knights of Ol' on Blanco. I could tell you a few stories about the Navy Club, one in particular that includes a Playmate that came to SA for the River Parade...but this is a family forum. We did the Red Carpet a time or two also. Seems like you could have a lot better and cleaner fun back then. Guess I'm gettin' old.
Casa Blanca I never went to but everybody was in Marios at one time or another. Hit a lot of the hot spots back in the single days. Not sure how I survived it but I did have a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 PM

263 posts, read 480,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
GOLDEN STAR anyone?
Downtown place to eat when the clubs closed.
Mexican , Chinese, American food
Fish with brown gravy and white bread with fries.
G.G. I thought I never I'd come acrossed anyone that 'members the brown gravyover fish.Man that was the place for fish after a good time downtown.Hey,do u think that the original owner still sits by the counter,he reminded me of an emperor from the Ming Dynasty.He never said a word,just watched very closely over the register and bowed his head as you entered or when leaving.You could tell this man was the boss. If I 'member correctly,this place moved 2 times in its history. From its original place behind Westside Bank,then onthe other side of 35Sabout a block and now to its present location Frio and Commerce. Still a good place asoliz

Old 12-14-2012, 10:37 AM

61 posts, read 119,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Here! Yeah, made all of those. The owner of Jacala, Rudy Quinones, was a good friend of the family. But you forgot 5 Points cafe. Had lunch there almost every weekday for years. Tink a Taco started at Ashby and St Marys. There was also the Nighthawk at Main, I think. And then there was Lubys where Main and San Pedro come together. And of course, there was the redeye stew at Luthers. If you didn't get a Little Hips hamburger, well, you just missed out. Now that I'm hungry, think Tip Top might be a good place this afternoon. Or maybe a burger from Floyds. Always these decisions and so little time.
The Nighthawk was badass back then, great place for date. and dont forget the original (and best) Paisanos !!! Luthers Cafe I think was accross the street from Danny's pool hall, played many a game of pool there. Hipps was simply the best, they had a hamburger there that you needed two hands to hold, and it took three people to finish the french fries.....great places.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert soliz View Post
T.L.-Man you can't go and not mention Casa Blancanext door to Santa Rosa in th 50's,nor Marios along 35 south at Commerce in the 70's for a late dinner after closing down the barsthen if still had energy,you could hit the Navy club after hours and come back to Marios for breakfast.Oh what a night!!!!!!!!!!
Asoliz
Oh Man !! The Navy Club,...didnt they have a kind of speak easy little door on the front door so they could see who wanted in ?? Real Classy place as I remeber. A lot of patrons wearing tuxedos and minks as I remember.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFREAK View Post
Oh Man !! The Navy Club,...didnt they have a kind of speak easy little door on the front door so they could see who wanted in ?? Real Classy place as I remeber. A lot of patrons wearing tuxedos and minks as I remember.
SAF-All those places u mentioned were great becuase if u wanted to skip class from SAC ,there it was.In '83,'84 I hung out at "Bananas",good Ice cold beer and fresh popcorn,and pretty waitresses.In reference to the Navy Club,I don't recall Tuxedos&Furs,not in the late 70's anyway.Maybe it was the RED Carpet next door.That was a real fancy place,maybe TrapperL might shine some light on that. asoliz

Last edited by albert soliz; 12-14-2012 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Misspelled; Banana's

Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
SAF-All those places u mentioned were great becuase if u wanted to skip class from SAC ,there it was.In '83,'84 I hung out at "Bananas",good Ice cold beer and fresh popcorn,and pretty waitresses.In reference to the Navy Club,I don't recall Tuxedos&Furs,not in the late 70's anyway.Maybe it was the RED Carpet next door.That was a real fancy place,maybe TrapperL might shine some light on that. asoliz
I made my rounds at a lot of these hang outs in the early 70's, things may have changed in about 10 years or so, who knows ?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,987,290 times
Quote:

Aw Hell..hope we don't know each other..I like my anonymity. I worked at Bananas for about 1 week.
Golden Star..I have to be honest, I never knew that place sober!!!
I really need to unsubscribe from this thread.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
hey,Iwas just told that it was RC COLA when it was located along 35 n.and behind the K/Mart downtown.They distributed Hippo Size soda for many years. Now ,mentioning that area around market square,does any one remember the little snow cone shop at the east end of Market Square tucked in a little room facing w.commerce?Alittleold hispanic man named MRSuesado owned it.Every time someone we knew was at Santa Rosa,somehow we'd sneak away to get one of those delicios snow cones topped with vanilla ice cream then covered with his own homemade syrup.He had like six different flavors.my favorite,strawberry.All that for .50cents inthe late 50's early 60's.I know there's gotta be alot've you that know where I'am talkin' about. asoliz
Saf,you lived real close to Playland so u must remember seeing all those soda bottles below the first high climb.I ran across the gentleman in Converse, that ran the little merry-go-round as u enter on the left,nevr much cares for that little village that was kinda hidden,gave me the creeps.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFREAK View Post
Albert,...I could hit all of those places with a rock from where I grew up. Right across the street from my house was the Pepsi Bottling Co. around the corner was RC Cola, and down the street and around the corner was Frostie Root Beer and Big Red. The Wrestlethon was a big green wooden building as I remember. Remember Jose Latherio,..??? Taco Land was right around the corner as well.
saf,do urember seeing a huge pile of soda bottles off to right going up the the first rise on the ROCKET at Playland.I 'd like to have just twenty of those bottles from way back when

Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
saf,do urember seeing a huge pile of soda bottles off to right going up the the first rise on the ROCKET at Playland.I 'd like to have just twenty of those bottles from way back when
Nope ! don't recall the stack of bottles,..they would have to be worth something,..right ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio