Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 PM

61 posts, read 119,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFREAK View Post
Oh Man !! Youngbloods,...Christies,......thats my old stopping grounds,.......our old house is still standing on East Locust St..a little run down.
How about Franz Ice House ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeta2 View Post
My husband seems to think Studers main store was on San Pedro, but he is not sure. His family picture was taken there about 1944 or 45. He remembers Fox studios was on Broadway.

My husband worked for the TXDOT, and remembers right before Hemisfair, the original Pig Stand was torn down and relocated to where it is today. He says there was also another Pig Stand across from Lions Field on Broadway. The manager's name was Marty, who was eventually fired.

He mentioned a place called The Toddel House, kinda a greasy spoon where you could get pancakes, etc. one on Fredericksburg and one on San Pedro.

I was only 6 or 7 years old then. He is 20 years my senior, so remembers a lot of stuff from 40's and up in San Antonio. He just mentioned the Black Cow on Broadway, where you could get "a black cow", which was a root beer float.

So many memories to talk about. Growing up I lived in Balcones Heights, and also Monte Vista down on Mistletoe and McCullough. When I was really little, we would walk up Mistletoe to Main, and buy stuff at an old chinese grocery where Capparelli's is now. We also would get candy at Laurel Heights pharmacy.

Then we moved out to Jackson Keller off San Pedro. I graduated from Lee in 1980, worked at North Star in high school...First job out of high school was a police dispatcher at Castle Hills P.D. Anyone know any of the cops from back then???
The place you got your "Black Cow" was called Webers Rootbeer, across the parking lot from the Pig Stand. They also served a grape drink with ice cream called a Purple Martin. While you were waiting for your order to arrive, the carhop would bring you a sample of rootbeer in a little frosty mug....what a place.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Greyhound View Post
March 15, 1970: Margarito Guzman becomes the first person to commit suicide by jumping from the Tower of the Americas.
I think if I remember right, the guy never hit the ground, he landed in one of the light fixtures around the base, ....still must have hurt,........ouch !!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default As I remember,

The first suicide jumper to jump off the Tower of the Americas did land in one of the spotlamps--
partly. Yes and part of him landed outside the lamp.
For some reason or other I remember that incident vividly. Maybe it was because the Tower was new and
interesting back then and something so horrible stuck.
I can also remember that the guy was so skinny that he squeezed between the old small, sharp, and pointed inward leaning safety bars. It was bad.
I remember also some diners in the restaurant saw the poor soul go by on his way down to his death.
May he rest in peace.
Quote:
I think if I remember right, the guy never hit the ground, he landed in one of the light fixtures around the base, ....still must have hurt,........ouch !!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
Do you remember the Joy theater on West Houston about a block west of Flores street?
The Joy was for X Rated movies only, wan't it ??

Old 12-07-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeta2 View Post
Does anyone remember "Atlantic City" on Fredricksburg road, just a mile or so south of 410? It would have been there around 65 or 1966...
Yeah, did they ever change the name to Spartan Atlantic ?? I do remember that one.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 PM

263 posts, read 479,993 times
Quote:
The Joy was for X Rated movies only, wan't it ??
That's Right,it just down the street from the Jefferson Hobby shop on Broadway betweenTravis and Pecan.The other was the Prince Theater,want to say it was on St.Mary's,but not sure

Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, did they ever change the name to Spartan Atlantic ?? I do remember that one.
We always went to the Spartans on Goliad in the early 60's.It seemed to me that every price tag ended with a "7".Remember the Jims Frontier just up the street from there, and who can foreget Floyd's Burger Bar.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
The first suicide jumper to jump off the Tower of the Americas did land in one of the spotlamps--
partly. Yes and part of him landed outside the lamp.
For some reason or other I remember that incident vividly. Maybe it was because the Tower was new and
interesting back then and something so horrible stuck.
I can also remember that the guy was so skinny that he squeezed between the old small, sharp, and pointed inward leaning safety bars. It was bad.
I remember also some diners in the restaurant saw the poor soul go by on his way down to his death.
May he rest in peace.
A couple of years ago,Here where I WORK AT 410 AT Airport Blvd, a guy jumped from the newly open 281-N - 410-E Overpass,the highest one in this area.One of our employees actualy saw this person pacing back and forth then got up the hood,then jumped.I've always wondered what was going thru this persons mind,what happened in his life to make him take his own.RIP

Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Oh Man !! Youngbloods,...Christies,......thats my old stopping grounds,.......our old house is still standing on East Locust St..a little run down.
Speaking of tamales Ruebens Tamales on Rigsby is still going strong.From 1958-1967 I grew up just 2blks.behind there At 162 Alhaven.When the south breeze was just right,you could smell the aroma up and down our street.$1.25Dz.at that time.And at the 3 points of Rigsby,Roland and Artesia st,was what we kids called the Rock House.This is where I was first introduced to Brisket,drikin'Grapette while Percy Sledge belted out "When A Man LOVES A Woman".There Chiken Fried Steak was great,and hamburgers were 4/1.25.Great memories.Up Artesia st.was Ellison's Garage where we'd air up our bike tires,speed down the hill on Alhaven to the only street light on the blk., in front of my house Great times.asoliz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio