Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 PM

263 posts, read 480,552 times

Advertisements

Yea mud,Medina Lake brings back alot've memories,especially Paradise CANYON at the south end of the lake.It was about 1986 that I pulled in to that peacefull place and to my surprise an old schoolmate from Pat Neff Jr.High was at the office.Turns out her parents owned the place.At the time the level of the river below the dam was very low.Seen alot've catfish and Bass duking in and out've rocks and boulders.I gotta' go back real soon with my grand kids.

a soliz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,998,471 times
Where exactly is/was "Mt. Olympus?!?"

Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 PM

In responce to your Queation about Mt.Olympus,it was just what my freinds and I called it because once you got to the top of this hill,on a clear night,you could see downtown San Antonio.where its located is when you pull into Helotes Hwy.16 to Bandera,make a right at Scenic Loop Rd,at the first two story limestone house you see ,make another right and you'll start do go up hill for about a1/4 mile.Since 1973,the area has been developed almost entierly.The last time Iwas up there to show my friend the city lights,she and I were ask to leave the by Helotes P.D. since we didn't live in the community,someone called in a suspicios vehicle.Check it some time but on the way back down,your brakes better work good,because the desent is really steep. Thanks for the Interest, A.Soliz

Old 11-30-2012, 08:58 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
Dude, we likely crossed paths - went to Neff myself, '73 Marshall graduate. You must've lived inside 410/Ingram area at the time - that was a really nice area at one time! Last time I went, it was lookin' rough around the edges, though. Then again, a lot of the old stompin' grounds have kinda gone ta seed!

We had the hardware store there in Leon Valley, right at Bandera & Poss road, and the liquor store further out towards Texas Star Inn (on the right).

Old 11-30-2012, 09:12 PM

Default Too close for comfort

On Sept.14,1974 I was heading west on Fredericksburg about 11;45 maybe 12;00p.m when something caught my eye just as I was about to make a right hand turn onto Wurzbauch Rd.At first it appearred to look like a plane on fire heading north,but then it turned a blue green color as it closer,but then as it did ,the whole western horizon lit-up in what we all see as an a bronze color,like our street lights.Did anyone else see this back in 1974?I know I didn't imagine it I wasn't drunk or high.I looked for a report about it in the paper or the news,but came up emty.When I arrived at Gasoline Alley which is now Baker Street Pup,I told the bar tender at the time, but didn't hear anything about it.To me it was a huge comet that just came too close to earth.Does anyone know or have any info.on this,it has puzzeld me for years. Hope to here some info. A.Soliz

Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,998,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert soliz View Post
In responce to your Queation about Mt.Olympus,it was just what my freinds and I called it because once you got to the top of this hill,on a clear night,you could see downtown San Antonio.where its located is when you pull into Helotes Hwy.16 to Bandera,make a right at Scenic Loop Rd,at the first two story limestone house you see ,make another right and you'll start do go up hill for about a1/4 mile.Since 1973,the area has been developed almost entierly.The last time Iwas up there to show my friend the city lights,she and I were ask to leave the by Helotes P.D. since we didn't live in the community,someone called in a suspicios vehicle.Check it some time but on the way back down,your brakes better work good,because the desent is really steep. Thanks for the Interest, A.Soliz
I know exactly where you're talking about, but I am surprised the Helotes PD hassled you about it as you were (hopefully) on a public road (hopefully) doing nothing illegal...

Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 PM

Yup,your probably right,I can still rember some of my teachers names they are ,Mr.Green(Geog.) who became county clerk.Good guy.,Mr.Pearce-Math with Ronny Garcia,we didn't learn a thing ,also Mr.Hipp (science),Mr. Kerchiville,and oh ,who could foreget Mr.Dubose-Vice Principle.I was in his office a few times and was given the choice of with or with-out holes,meaning the paddles.That tall TEXACO sign that you had to stretch your neck to see was the last thing you saw after that blistering pain started to set in.But it kept me out of trouble evev thru High school.Does this bring back any memories there TexRED?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 PM

Sure...remember Mrs. Foster, Ms. Hamby? Ms Rios? Or the older teacher - can't remember his name right now to save my life, but he introduced me (and most of his classes) to Paul Harvey....

Actually ran into Mr. Hipp a coupla years ago - lost touch with him again, though....

Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 PM

No Major,but I think if the area was like it was in '73,things would've been a whole lot different.As a matter of fact,that brings to mind an inccdent that happened while my fiance' and I were parked in one of the cul-de-sacs.Remember ,no houses to speak of,no street lights,except at every other corner.Her and were having a deep discussion about our marriage plans when all of a sudden a brite spot light hit us square in the eyes.It came from another area about 100-50 yds.away.This really just made me boil,so,after getting my sight back and focused in on where it came from,I hit gas pedal on my '67 Chevy Malibu ,hit the high beams and commenced to chase em' down.My girlfriend was begging me to stop,she was afraid that they might be pochers,because there were alot of deer up there,and she thought that they may have guns ,so I had to stop.They took off and headed off the hill.That's just one inccident. Thanks for your response, A.Soliz

Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 PM

M2, they were having lots of problems up there with vandalism and general hooliganism, so the PD started pushing folks outta the area for a while. Things got pretty rowdy up there, so they had to do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio