Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 AM

15 posts, read 52,179 times

Advertisements

I grew up on the southside of San Antonio and there were always loquat trees around. I ate plenty of them growing up and today have a Loquat tree in my yard. I even introduced my grand son to them....I stll eat them occasionally when they are in season...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 AM

hey rctsat,
thanks for the post about the Village at the Golden Stallion....I am the guy who wanted to know about it. I think it was a great place to take kids back then and adults enjoyed it too.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txghost View Post
hey Mud,

Do you have any information on the history of the Hall of Horns at the Buckhorn Saloon. I believe the Keilman family was connected to it somehow...at least thats the story I remember from growing up. They are old friends of the family although they are getting old now. This time period was somewhere around the 1920's that I believe it all started....any comments?
here's what I found.....

William Keilman had a place called the Horn Palace Inn on the South Loop

he was shot there in April 1921 and nearly died

leased the place out after that.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:32 PM

Default Horn Palace

Yep I believe the horns in the old Horn Palace wound up in the Buckhorn Saloon...thats the story I remember when growing up. I heard plenty of stories about those times when San Antonio was a Hollywood party town with big name actors and big city officials partied out on the south side near the old Bergs Mill area.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:58 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Yep I believe the horns in the old Horn Palace wound up in the Buckhorn Saloon...thats the story I remember when growing up. I heard plenty of stories about those times when San Antonio was a Hollywood party town with big name actors and big city officials partied out on the south side near the old Bergs Mill area.
That was more likely just up the river about a 1/4 mile at O'Neil Ford's residence. Just across the river from Hot Well's Resort which saw celebrities in it's heyday. Berg's Mill doubtful. We do know Clint Eastwood visited Ford back in the day. I've handled some of the Buckhorn's collection. It's surely made up of a hodgepodge of different collections now.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times
Quote:
hey Mud,

Do you have any information on the history of the Hall of Horns at the Buckhorn Saloon. I believe the Keilman family was connected to it somehow...at least thats the story I remember from growing up. They are old friends of the family although they are getting old now. This time period was somewhere around the 1920's that I believe it all started....any comments?
The Buckhorn salon was originally opened by Albert Fredrick. The story I read is that the horn collection belonged to his father in-law (who I think was a Keilman). Interestingly, Fredrick Wilderness Park was land donated by the Fredrick family. Apparently, Albert Fredrick's bar really took off when he moved the horn collection into his saloon. He made enough money to build a mansion where Elm Creek is today, called Algo Differente. He also bought the land where Crownridge is now as well as the Fredrick Wilderness Park.

Others and myself posted a lot of info regarding the Buckhorn Saloon and the Fredrick family on the original Gone But Not Forgotten Part 1 thread. If you search the San Antonio forum for "Algo Differente" you should be able to find them easily enough.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:05 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
The Buckhorn salon was originally opened by Albert Fredrick. The story I read is that the horn collection belonged to his father in-law (who I think was a Keilman). Interestingly, Fredrick Wilderness Park was land donated by the Fredrick family. Apparently, Albert Fredrick's bar really took off when he moved the horn collection into his saloon. He made enough money to build a mansion where Elm Creek is today, called Algo Differente. He also bought the land where Crownridge is now as well as the Fredrick Wilderness Park.

Others and myself posted a lot of info regarding the Buckhorn Saloon and the Fredrick family on the original Gone But Not Forgotten Part 1 thread. If you search the San Antonio forum for "Algo Differente" you should be able to find them easily enough.
Not to correct you GW, as most folks misspell the Friedrich name. I learned to spell it back in the 70's because of Ed Friedrich's air conditioners. Later years I worked for some of the family. Here's a nice story about this subject.

The Buckhorn and the Horn Palace Information

Ed was probably Albert's brother or son. I'm sure I've been told but have forgotten. The Rogers who wrote the story in link could be family of Friedrich's. The ownership of the Buckhorn collection in recent years was returned to the Rogers family. Olla Friedrich's daughter and granddaughter are likely the main custodians of the new Museum and collection. Mary Friedrich Rogers and Mary Rogers Barrett. I've met all 3 of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckhor...m_(San_Antonio)

Mary Rogers Barrett whom I knew was a past Director of the San Antonio Zoo. I believe that was the title. One of the newer park trains is named the "Mary Barrett" after her.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:22 PM

136 posts, read 332,085 times
Anybody still here? Did I miss the evacuation notice?

Anybody remember going to Alamo Stadium to watch high school football games.? My brothers all went to Brackenridge and played in the marching band, so we went to all of the games. One of the features I remember was a guy who sold refreshments and walked the stands shouting " I got what I got and that's all I got." He could throw a bag of peanuts twenty yards and have it end up in your lap.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:38 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Anybody still here? Did I miss the evacuation notice?

Anybody remember going to Alamo Stadium to watch high school football games.? My brothers all went to Brackenridge and played in the marching band, so we went to all of the games. One of the features I remember was a guy who sold refreshments and walked the stands shouting " I got what I got and that's all I got." He could throw a bag of peanuts twenty yards and have it end up in your lap.
Alamo Stadium? yeah. Lee vs Brack - 11 29 63.

called by many *the greatest high school game ever played*

Old 11-04-2012, 05:24 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
When we lived in town it was the place where my dads school, Jefferson, would play my sister and my school, Highlands. It wasn't good if Jeff lost.
Here's a pic of Alamo Stadium being built, 1940:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio