Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 11:02 AM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
We all but lived out there. The entire family was into the drags. Mom drove a 66 GTO, 389, 3 dueces, headers and an automatic. Dad had a 1958 Yeoman station wagon that my cousin did a rebuild on with a bored small block, 4 barrel, mild cam, headers, and a modded Powerglide and 4.10's. I drove a 34 Ford 3 window with a highly modded SBC. I ran D Gas class. Cousin who had a parts house drove a 61 Impala with a 348 tri power, highly modded and would pull a wheelie if he wasn't careful. Other cousin had a 67 Impala 396, 4 speed highly modded. BIL drove a 52 Mercury modded. I guess it was my cousins fault we spent so much time out there. Parts were at his cost and most of the machine work was free. Back then you could race pretty cheap. Today, if you can't throw 10 grand at a car you might as well stay home. And it's no longer mine against yers. It's all about the time clock. Last time I went to the drags south of town (that's obviously been a while) I watched a 66 Falcon 4 banger beat a blown dragster as the girl hit her time exactly. That's just wrong.

Forgot about Linus Bauer and he ran with some guys I knew. Seems he had a brother too. Wonder what ever happened to him?
I spent a lot of time there as well.

do you have any pix from there??

some pix I have of August. not sure if these are at Double Eagle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 12:50 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
Good grief Mud, you got pics of Hands!!!! That guy could tune a car like nobody else especially multicarb engines. WOW! And the best part.....I"M IN THE SECOND PIC!!!! But I'll never tell which guy I am. Many thanks for posting these!

Old 11-11-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Good grief Mud, you got pics of Hands!!!! That guy could tune a car like nobody else especially multicarb engines. WOW! And the best part.....I"M IN THE SECOND PIC!!!! But I'll never tell which guy I am. Many thanks for posting these!
I have lotsa more.

Bubbi Radicke told me a story he was out there one night when the Michigan Madman was runnin.

Bubbi said Potter was tuning his machine between runs and Hands was looking on.

Hands made a suggestion to Potter.

Potter replied - if you're gonna ride it you can tune it.

August declined the offer.

I'm guessing you are in the background of that pic, or maybe the straw hat.

give it up.

and you did not answer my question - any pix from Double Eagle??

you in this picture??

here's one of one of Stanley Wilson's machines.......

did you know this legend??

Old 11-11-2012, 05:30 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFREAK View Post
Speaking of curb service, does anybody remember Franz Ice House on St. Marys St. close to Central Catholic High School. Drive up, they came out and waited on you, and you were on your way. The attendant that helped you had one of those coin changers on his belt that dispensed nickles dimes quarters and pennies. What a deal.
A lot of those guys just used a nail bag like you get at hardware stores.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
Gee Mud, I wished I had all of the pics I took back then including the 8mm movies. Unfortunately I was married to a relatively unstable woman and all of my clothes, pics, movies, trophies, shoes, jewelry, etc all went thru the Bar-B Q pit. Silly woman just didn't have a sense of humor. My racing bud from Poteet has a few. I might see if he will loan them to me to scan. He ran a 59 red Biscayne with a 348 highly trick out. But yeah, those pics are from Double Eagle. Remember when Art Arfons (?) Green Monster came to the strip? He put the metal fence over the railroad tracks on the other side of the road from the jet blast. Great days back then. I saw some crazy stuff out there. Little Red Wagon, Michigan Madman was there a couple of times. The first was with a 283 on the bike frame with a four barrel. Then he came back with a lot more engine. Some guy put an Allison V12 plane engine on a dragster frame and about at the half way point the blower blew. I'll bet parts still fall out of the sky sometimes. I guess you remember the big dip in the track passed the finish line. Don't remember what they called it anymore but you had better be ready for it. I ran a set of wrinkle walls on a 69 Charger RT and the dip like to have rolled that Charger with those LOW pressure tires- 8 lbs is what they recommended.
Nope, not in that pic. The one above it...towards the left side in the back ground. That's all the hint you get. But post any and all of the pics you got from out there. Maybe start a new thread about the old days of drag racing in SA. I just found out my neighbor of many years raced a 38 Chevy out there. I didn't get to chat with him long enough to know much about it but I'll bet there are others on this forum that either raced there or went there. And since the light just went on, yer first name is Mike-Right?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
*I* know which one is you.....but ah'll keep quiet....mebbe!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Gee Mud, I wished I had all of the pics I took back then including the 8mm movies.
Unfortunately I was married to a relatively unstable woman and all of my clothes, pics, movies, trophies, shoes, jewelry, etc all went thru the Bar-B Q pit.
Silly woman just didn't have a sense of humor.
My racing bud from Poteet has a few. I might see if he will loan them to me to scan. He ran a 59 red Biscayne with a 348 highly trick out.

But yeah, those pics are from Double Eagle.

Remember when Art Arfons (?) Green Monster came to the strip? He put the metal fence over the railroad tracks on the other side of the road from the jet blast. Great days back then.
I saw some crazy stuff out there. Little Red Wagon, Michigan Madman was there a couple of times. The first was with a 283 on the bike frame with a four barrel. Then he came back with a lot more engine.
Some guy put an Allison V12 plane engine on a dragster frame and about at the half way point the blower blew. I'll bet parts still fall out of the sky sometimes.
I guess you remember the big dip in the track passed the finish line. Don't remember what they called it anymore but you had better be ready for it.
I ran a set of wrinkle walls on a 69 Charger RT and the dip like to have rolled that Charger with those LOW pressure tires- 8 lbs is what they recommended.

Nope, not in that pic. The one above it...towards the left side in the back ground. That's all the hint you get.
But post any and all of the pics you got from out there. Maybe start a new thread about the old days of drag racing in SA.
I just found out my neighbor of many years raced a 38 Chevy out there. I didn't get to chat with him long enough to know much about it but I'll bet there are others on this forum that either raced there or went there.

And since the light just went on, yer first name is Mike-Right?
I'll answer your question first - not necessarily Mike.

way bad you *lost* the photos etc.

hopefully your Poteet connection has some of the old Double Eagle pix available.

yes I remember the Jet Powered machines.

didn't see the fence go down, but when I saw the jets run, they took the fence down so it didn't get blown away.

one night we watched the jet from the far end - in the weeds between the strip and the return road.

as soon as the jet launched, a cottontail hopped from the weeds to cross the strip.

goodnight Easter Bunny and RIP. didn't see it again.

Allison's - My Father in Law's Brother ran an Allison in an all fiberglass 34 Ford.

couple pix..........

and, the late great Henry Garner's machine - ran 180 mph plus in the early 60s....

Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Not to correct you GW, as most folks misspell the Friedrich name. I learned to spell it back in the 70's because of Ed Friedrich's air conditioners. Later years I worked for some of the family. Here's a nice story about this subject.

The Buckhorn and the Horn Palace Information

Ed was probably Albert's brother or son. I'm sure I've been told but have forgotten. The Rogers who wrote the story in link could be family of Friedrich's. The ownership of the Buckhorn collection in recent years was returned to the Rogers family. Olla Friedrich's daughter and granddaughter are likely the main custodians of the new Museum and collection. Mary Friedrich Rogers and Mary Rogers Barrett. I've met all 3 of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckhor...m_(San_Antonio)

Mary Rogers Barrett whom I knew was a past Director of the San Antonio Zoo. I believe that was the title. One of the newer park trains is named the "Mary Barrett" after her.
Coincidentally, I am work in the old Friedrich Air Conditioner Factory building!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:27 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Coincidentally, I am work in the old Friedrich Air Conditioner Factory building!
You mean the one on Commerce I think it is? I haven't been through there in years. I believe it's where they made ammunition boxes during WWII. They made pool tables and antlered tables I believe at one time. The facility was still in use even after new factory was built at I-35 and Binz-Engleman. I'm sure the buildings are located on part of the historic "Powder house Hill" near the cemeteries.

Quote:
The hill was part of San Antonio’s original land grant and was named for buildings constructed there by the Spanish Military to store gun powder.
taken from...

powder house hill | Tumblr

Old 11-21-2012, 06:45 PM

176 posts, read 357,814 times
Default Re: Superslide

Superslide was located on 10331 Desart Sands Lot 1 Block 4 NCB 16477 which is a vacant lot next to the United States Post Office. Property was owned by one Charles Flynn. It is misspelled it should say Desert Sands. Zip Code of 78216.

To the guy that mentioned cold spots at his work, it is from something else. That credit union which is Firstmark, if I recall correctly is on the other side of US 281 (The airport side)

Source: Bexar County Courthouse Archived Deed Records.

I have a copy of the Affidavit of Mechanic's and Materials lien on Super Slide filed by the Courts.

Checked the Criss Cross Phone books at the law library last month, No listing for a Dairy Queen none in 1975 , 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1980 none at that location.

I don't have a scanner but when I have the time I will do either of two things, 1. Try to screen capture it somehow, or 2. Go to Kinko's and use their scanner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio