Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 PM

136 posts, read 331,935 times

Advertisements

My first car was an extremely well used '49 Plymouth that was always in need of something the parts stores no longer carried. I relied on a big junkyard on S. New Braunfelds that ran between Nevada and Montana (just north of St. Gerard's), Must have been a couple hundred cars scattered around. If it was something I couldn't handle, like a king pin (anyone remember them?) I'd take the car and the parts to Alton Applewhite's. He had mechanics there that could fix anything, including my Dad's Kaiser. I don't think the yard or Applewhite's are still around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 AM

178 posts, read 458,931 times
I bought a lot at Radicke, too. Was it Bubbie or Bubba?
Later on traded at Baumann Auto Supply. Our family auto work was all done at Baumann Auto Repair. Wally B. lived just a couple of houses down from my folks. Didn't really know Eddie B. but we kinda' recognized one another from my hanging out with some of the Gear Grinders - I was too young to join.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:06 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
My first car was an extremely well used '49 Plymouth that was always in need of something the parts stores no longer carried. I relied on a big junkyard on S. New Braunfelds that ran between Nevada and Montana (just north of St. Gerard's), Must have been a couple hundred cars scattered around. If it was something I couldn't handle, like a king pin (anyone remember them?) I'd take the car and the parts to Alton Applewhite's. He had mechanics there that could fix anything, including my Dad's Kaiser. I don't think the yard or Applewhite's are still around.
Maybe family or kin to those Applewhite Road was named for..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector28 View Post
Later on traded at Baumann Auto Supply. Our family auto work was all done at Baumann Auto Repair. Wally B. lived just a couple of houses down from my folks. Didn't really know Eddie B. but we kinda' recognized one another from my hanging out with some of the Gear Grinders - I was too young to join.
I think Bauman's was on Blanco or West Ave..later moved to Fred. Road. Remember Sparrow Brothers?? Are they still on Fred road just north of Hildebrand. How about old Art's Atlas at Fred and Vance Jackson..that was the place for tires, rims and mufflers etc. in early 70's!! Was it Mezzetti's at Oblate (i think) and San Pedro?? Nagels gun shop just south of it!!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:23 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
I bought some rims from Art's in the 60's, maybe some Cragar SS mags.....

Old 04-06-2010, 03:09 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector28 View Post
Bubbie. One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to know.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I worked there until a couple months before the takeover and am pretty sure it was open when I left. I tended to hit the basement or groundfloor cafes more often, but was invited upstairs once within a year of leaving. I don't remember hearing any rumors of it's demise while I was there.
I remember the ground floor cafe's and the basement, but not sure about the camilla room.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:22 AM

62 posts, read 149,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
I found some Snaps! Here are 3 of 7 that I have found. I am sure I have more. I will keep searching for Snaps and old pictures of the Nolan/Pine strip center. I do have some pictures of the back of the building, since the back served as our back yard.

Is there a African Americana museum in SA?
There's not a museum but the Texana/Genealogy Department has a few Snaps. We would gladly accept more if anyone would care to donate some. The department has a collection of over 3,000 African-American funeral programs. A Snap collection would be a nice companion.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 AM

92 posts, read 303,434 times
Reference Radicke Auto supply. My family started trading with Mutt Radicke Auto Supply sometime in 1955-1957. There may have been a previous location but the one I remember was in front of Meyers Machine and near the Kit Kat Club. Mr. and Mrs. Radicke were great people to deal with. They had a good machine shop with an old master machinist.
Bubbie carried on the family tradition of being a very nice person.
Enjoy your retirement Bubbie!!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:23 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Yep, Mutt and his wife were wonderful folks. The building was sold by the owners, and so they moved down the road to a larger building - the old Honda dealership on Fredericksburg. That was in the early 90's, IIRC. Last I heard (3-4 mos ago) old Mutt was still alive and kickin'!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:35 PM

237 posts, read 851,315 times
Default junk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
I relied on a big junkyard on S. New Braunfelds that ran between Nevada and Montana (just north of St. Gerard's),
Boss, I should recall the New Braunfels yard but do not. Can you pin it down a bit more for me ... north or south of Commerce or Houston St. etc. A senior year 1962/'63 at Highlands buddies had a 1936 Chevy Coupe, the other 1940 Ford sedan that took us out to the Universal City yards occasionally. Likewise for my brother's '39 Chevy sedan with lovely running boards that some maker should bring back. The old yards out on Old Laredo highway were also still full of such cars well into the '60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio