Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 04:39 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times

Advertisements

Toudouze family got into the warehouse business of sorts on the near west side several years ago. This is the family that once owned the Toudouze Store in the triangle of the Pleasanton Rd. & S. Flores intersection. They were ahead of their time operating in the 50's, 60's and maybe early 70's. The two story building had furniture and hardware upstairs ( not sure about clothing). Groceries and other things downstairs. It was a one stop shop. They even had parking at the rear and next to it a Quonset hut building with lumber. Most of the area was supplied by Chinese grocery stores in those days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 05:25 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Yes right behind Solo Serve on Flores & Military was one. That's the one I recall. The other location you mention where the Bingo place is must be at Sayers and Pleasanton. I don't think that was the location of one. I could be wrong but.. Corner of Pleasanton and Southcross had a Piggly Wiggly way back and seems like a Food-Saver or some such name grocer in there last. The property at Sayers and Pleasanton with a Domino's Pizza and did have a record shop a few years back does have a bingo Hall. An uncle of mine and his family once lived in a 100+ year old two story house on that property. Just north of that property was a lot and an outfit called Chris Miller Drayage. They lived there I think at least 20 years until the strip center was built. They moved to Elmendorf where my uncle became the volunteer Fire Chief for the area.

Fed -Mart was at Military and Zarzamora. That 100 Octane kept my Camaro roaring in the early 70's. Spartan Atlantic/or Woolco on Goliad was either at Military or down at Goliad and Clark in the triangle where the Drive in used to be. Bel-Aire or Parkaire I think. Later that location became a Tandy's and a McDuff's I think it was. There was a Handy Dan's at Military and Goliad though it wasn't right up to Goliad as I recall. Slightly west of it. I'm thinking where K-Mart was across Goliad may have been the Spartan Atlantic. Woolco at Clark...Wish I'd had a video Camera the last 40-50 years or so.

Sorry to hear about the car! Funny as long as I've lived over here and been all over I've seldom gone down Corpus Christi HWY south of Military.
I do remember an old bridge and some houses right along side the road really close. Those were the days...if I just had a better memory.

PS in the mid 60's we went hill climbing on motorcycles along Salado Creek...think it was called 700 acres.
The pleseanton location had a winn's, cloth world, and eckerds. Have not been on that part of town for years.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Toudouze family got into the warehouse business of sorts on the near west side several years ago. This is the family that once owned the Toudouze Store in the triangle of the Pleasanton Rd. & S. Flores intersection. They were ahead of their time operating in the 50's, 60's and maybe early 70's. The two story building had furniture and hardware upstairs ( not sure about clothing). Groceries and other things downstairs. It was a one stop shop. They even had parking at the rear and next to it a Quonset hut building with lumber. Most of the area was supplied by Chinese grocery stores in those days.
They closed up shop near downtown a few years ago, they had been in business I think over 90 years.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
They closed up shop near downtown a few years ago, they had been in business I think over 90 years.
I though I'd heard they closed shop. Yep that may have been there last gasp.

It reminds me of all the two story buildings along the west side of I-35 downtown. Chinese businesses in some of those. I remember when Drug Abuse Central was just south of Martin I think along side I-35 in an old two story house.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
The pleseanton location had a winn's, cloth world, and eckerds. Have not been on that part of town for years.
That was probably at Southcross and Pleasanton. Winn's was there and i think Cloth World it was and old Piggly Wiggly location added on to. Across the street was Sprott's Variety store. Mainly a cloth store in a strip center (one of the earliest most likely). It included a barber shop, beauty shop, a florist and an old 50's style fountain/hamburger joint with carhops in it's early days. It was called "The Chief" and was on the south end of the strip at Grapeland St.

The Southside Reporter did a piece on the "Kreme Kone" a few years back. It was a 50's DQ like soda/burger joint. It sat right where Bill Miller's sits now at Southcross and Pleasanton Rd.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
I was a kid growing up around Wonderland and Jefferson Highschool. I heard about TOUDOUSE Markets because they were a sponsor on SWINGTIME with DON COUSER. " If Toudouse dosen't have it , You don't need it!!"

Old 04-15-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I though I'd heard they closed shop. Yep that may have been there last gasp.

It reminds me of all the two story buildings along the west side of I-35 downtown. Chinese businesses in some of those. I remember when Drug Abuse Central was just south of Martin I think along side I-35 in an old two story house.
I used to deal with them as they were clients of mine, and they were given a sweet deal on that land near the jail. They are now in real estate.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
That was probably at Southcross and Pleasanton. Winn's was there and i think Cloth World it was and old Piggly Wiggly location added on to. Across the street was Sprott's Variety store. Mainly a cloth store in a strip center (one of the earliest most likely). It included a barber shop, beauty shop, a florist and an old 50's style fountain/hamburger joint with carhops in it's early days. It was called "The Chief" and was on the south end of the strip at Grapeland St.

The Southside Reporter did a piece on the "Kreme Kone" a few years back. It was a 50's DQ like soda/burger joint. It sat right where Bill Miller's sits now at Southcross and Pleasanton Rd.
Ok no it was not there, it was located about 6 blocks away headed towards downtown, I think the roof was made of metal. I need to go out that way sometime.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 PM

Ok did a google search, the warehouse grocery, winns, eckerds, and cloth world was at Plesanton and Brighton

Last edited by Willsatx; 04-15-2012 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Add-on

Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Ok did a google search, the warehouse grocery, winns, eckerds, and cloth world was at Plesanton and Brighton
That is the Pleasanton Rd & Sayers location I spoke of. Sayers was across the street and Brighton along the north side of it. I just didn't recall the Eckards in there. The Bingo place is there. That was my uncles old property.
Adolph Hofner lived a few houses down on Sayers St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio