Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,728 times

Advertisements

Motor trend gave Ford the top rating on dependability
for 3 years in a row. Not just the Mag acknowledged it either. A nonsensical,
whimsical, post. I have owned Fords and Mercurys and never had a problem with them, none. No starter, nothing. Front end parts , yes, tie rod ends, batt.
belt, etc. That was it.
The 95' Grand Marquis had 256,000 miles on it and nothing wrong with it.
I took it to an engine rebuild shop and said,"Do something with it, replace the timing chain, something".
It does not need anything was the reply. These 4.6 liter v-8 engines are
built extremely well. To extremely high tolerances. Police use the Crown Vics for two hundred thousand miles then Taxi companies use them for 300,000 miles. They will go for ever.
I took it into a dealer , they said the have had some in for service that have had 500,000 miles on them. Safest car out there too. As evidenced by auto wrecks police have survived in them during pursuits. Five star crash rating.
Opels were junk, a beer can with doors. There used to be a guy in high school that drove around in one wearing a ten gallon cowboy hat, this was hilarious.
Especially when he and a partner would both wear the huge hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
GM has NEVER gotten my business, and never will. I did almost buy an Opel from Orsinger Buick once. I've also never owned a Ford product. I have owned AMC and Chrysler products, but have since turned away from Detroit cars forever.

I have an American built Toyota Corolla, and an American built Nissan truck. They are the best vehicles I have ever owned. The Nissan truck is 19 years old and has needed less repairs in 19 years than my final Detroit car, a 1990 Plymouth Acclaim LX needed in it's first six months.

The time that Detroit built good vehicles is LONG gone, but not forgotten.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 12:30 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,815 times
Speaking of cars, and Orsinger Buick, that reminds me of other dealers from days gone by. Some dealers I patronized, but are no longer here are Inter-Continental/Lone Star Volkswagen, Calmbach Renault-Datsun,, Andy Anders Rambler Center, Al Komray AMC, Broughton Motors, North Loop Volkswagen, OR Mitchell Dodge, Dreyer Toyota.

I remember Mike Persia Chevrolet, Newt Godfree Chevrolet, Weinrich Studebaker, Hemphill Ford, Turbiville Lincoln Mercury, Riata Cadillac, Burke-Betts Oldsmobile, Jack Rieger Chrysler Plymouth, and Gene Spires Buick.

I heard Broughton Motors was a Hudson dealer, and when Hudson went away they started selling Renaults, Peugeots, and other European makes. Does anyone remember the Kaiser dealer here in San Antonio? How about Packard?

Old 06-10-2012, 12:42 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,374 times
Quote:
Speaking of cars, and Orsinger Buick, that reminds me of other dealers from days gone by. Some dealers I patronized, but are no longer here are Inter-Continental/Lone Star Volkswagen, Calmbach Renault-Datsun,, Andy Anders Rambler Center, Al Komray AMC, Broughton Motors, North Loop Volkswagen, OR Mitchell Dodge, Dreyer Toyota.

I remember Mike Persia Chevrolet, Newt Godfree Chevrolet, Weinrich Studebaker, Hemphill Ford, Turbiville Lincoln Mercury, Riata Cadillac, Burke-Betts Oldsmobile, Jack Rieger Chrysler Plymouth, and Gene Spires Buick.

I heard Broughton Motors was a Hudson dealer, and when Hudson went away they started selling Renaults, Peugeots, and other European makes. Does anyone remember the Kaiser dealer here in San Antonio? How about Packard?
Wasn't there also a Smith Chevrolet?

Old 06-10-2012, 12:47 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,814,635 times
Dumas Milner another Chevy Dealer. I recall all or most of those dealers. I've posted before about the son of the owner of Turbiville Motors contacting me. He lives in Texas and said his father died relatively young. I think Main/Lincoln Mercury is the old Turbiville Dealership. My dad bought a new Mercury Turnpike Cruiser in late 50's from Turbiville. I don't recall seeing the Studebaker dealer in operation but I think I've seen pics.

LL~ Smith was on Broadway just south of Jones Ave. Roy Smith was a friend of an old employer. Tom Benson used to be near Herman Sons Lodge on St Mary's. Jordan Ford at St Mary's and Durango.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:32 PM

136 posts, read 331,842 times
Quote:

I heard Broughton Motors was a Hudson dealer, and when Hudson went away they started selling Renaults, Peugeots, and other European makes. Does anyone remember the Kaiser dealer here in San Antonio?
My Dad was a dyed in the wool Kaiser man. He got them from Broughton Motors. Last one he got was a 1950 Virginian. Way ahead of it's time; had a vinyl top, leather interior, automatic trans with overdrive, power steering and brakes, and front wheel drive. Bright screaming yellow with a green top. Mom was not a happy camper when he got home.

Also someone asked about Studebaker dealers. If I remember correctly they were sold by Winerich on Broadway.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:42 PM

136 posts, read 331,842 times
Quote:
How about Packard?

That would be Gene Meador Packard at 1123 N. Main. Packard's was what Dad went to after the Kaisers gave out. When Packard went away, he switched to Chryslers.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:50 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
Can tell you folks weren't in on the racing scene in San Antonio back in the day. Ya'll forgot the 2 hottest dealerships in town- O R Mitchell Dodge and Superior Pontiac. I used to have to run against these guys for Top Eliminator all the time. Got my clock cleaned every time too. I ran a 34 Coupe in D Gas class.
I didn't remember Winerich as the Studebaker dealer, I remember Calmbach. They were farther down Broadway at 1309. I remember that every year when the Studebakers came out for the new year model the dealer would have search lights going....and that was a big deal back then. Might have even been Winerich that did this but it was an event.
My grand dad always had a new Mercury every year. Always bought them at Turbiville Motors on Main. Don't remember the Caddy dealer though but they were on Broadway. If you wanted to look at the new cars, mid September on Broadway was the place.

I wonder who can tell me what the name of this place is? And where was it located?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:15 PM

Rosario's ? 910 S. Alamo and St. Marys. I mean the Ford Dealership building. Oh And I didn't forget O R Mitchell Dodge or Superior Pontiac. Tindall Pontiac also...

Old 06-10-2012, 09:34 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,346 times
It sure looks like Rosario's it has to be.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 PM

Helluva location in the early 1900's. King William right there and traffic flow to downtown. It was before my time. We passed the location often while I was growing up. I'm sure it was long gone by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio