Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times

Advertisements

If I recall not sure if it was the express, news, or light that had a bumper sticker that said "I am a spurs nut" in the late 70's and if they saw your sticker you won spurs tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,722 times
Someone told me about SA GBNF and it sure is bringing back memories. Remember sitting on the porch in our backyard as a kid in 1960s Terrell Hills and if the night was quiet you could hear the live dance music ghosting across from the Seven Oaks on a Saturday night, even though it must have been a few miles away.

Our backyard neighbors were Cal and Dee Schulz. He owned the Schulz Music Company on the Austin Highway and both sold instruments and taught music lessons. Can't remember the exact address but do remember seeing what was left of the Tee Pee courts nearby when my parents took us over there. Believe there was still a "tee pee" standing as late as 1977 when I returned to SA to bury my father.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:43 PM

Speaking of Austin Highway anyone know when that Shakey's closed down?

Old 06-03-2012, 03:58 AM

4,331 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Speaking of Austin Highway anyone know when that Shakey's closed down?
Around 1984.

I think all the local Shakey's closed at the same time.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Around 1984.

I think all the local Shakey's closed at the same time.
That was a shame, I prefered them over Pizza Hut & Pizza Inn.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:53 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times
Default Tee-Pee Courts,

I had forgotten all about the Tee-Pee courts until you mentioned it. A good bell ringer fo me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewokscout View Post
Someone told me about SA GBNF and it sure is bringing back memories. Remember sitting on the porch in our backyard as a kid in 1960s Terrell Hills and if the night was quiet you could hear the live dance music ghosting across from the Seven Oaks on a Saturday night, even though it must have been a few miles away.

Our backyard neighbors were Cal and Dee Schulz. He owned the Schulz Music Company on the Austin Highway and both sold instruments and taught music lessons. Can't remember the exact address but do remember seeing what was left of the Tee Pee courts nearby when my parents took us over there. Believe there was still a "tee pee" standing as late as 1977 when I returned to SA to bury my father.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:20 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,078,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
That was a shame, I prefered them over Pizza Hut & Pizza Inn.
So did I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I had forgotten all about the Tee-Pee courts until you mentioned it. A good bell ringer fo me.
Do you remember where on Austin Highway the Tee-Pee courts was located? Was it near the intersection at Rittiman Road or further out?

Old 06-04-2012, 05:34 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times
Default Memory is Shaky,

I believe it was near but little further out than Rittiman, but I really can't remember.
Memory fails me on that bit of trivia. The one that does not is the big pig statue with a front door in the belly by the Pig Stand.
And of course the big 30 ft. Indian, constantly shot full of arrows by pranksters at the old Superior Pontiac Dealership.
Tindall's Pontiac was on Broadway just north of Hildebrand. No giant indian there. The old man--we were driving by Tindall's one evening in 1966 , he glimpsed a 66' Catalina , made a u-turn, went in and bought it.
The hood on that thing was enormous 6ft. x 5 ft. at least, a huge car
with a huge motor go go with it. The Pontiac covered as much ground as two modern sub-compacts.
I remember polishing the paint, with yards of sheet metal it quite a task.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
So did I.

Do you remember where on Austin Highway the Tee-Pee courts was located? Was it near the intersection at Rittiman Road or further out?

Old 06-04-2012, 05:44 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,078,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Tindall's Pontiac was on Broadway just north of Hildebrand. No giant indian there. The old man--we were driving by Tindall's one evening in 1966 , he glimpsed a 66' Catalina , made a u-turn, went in and bought it.
The hood on that thing was enormous 6ft. x 5 ft. at least, a huge car
with a huge motor go go with it. The Pontiac covered as much ground as two modern sub-compacts.
I remember polishing the paint, with yards of sheet metal it quite a task.
They were huge!
1966 Pontiac Catalina

1966 Catalina - different image

Old 06-04-2012, 12:37 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
We had a 66' Catalina as well.. Big Boat (dog). Pontiac should have disappeared not Oldsmobile.

I liked Fargo's Pizza. The Shakey's at Goliad and Clark was short lived as I recall. Went in there a couple times in early to mid 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio