Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 04:40 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times

Advertisements

Thanks Mud for the answer was very curious, passed thru that part of town and was wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 07:35 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Looks fully qualified to enter! LOL! Thanks Mud! Willsatx, it was right in front of the old Drive -in screen to the north as I recall.
After viewing satellite view: I believe it was in the tip of the triangle of Clark and Goliad ..the DI screen sat back a little ways. Mud is pretty accurate ..Floyd's was probably less than a fifty to hundred feet south of Shakey's. Or if the screen sat further back than I recall maybe's Floyd's was right across...

Last edited by SATX56; 06-30-2012 at 07:52 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Looks fully qualified to enter! LOL! Thanks Mud! Willsatx, it was right in front of the old Drive -in screen to the north as I recall.
After viewing satellite view: I believe it was in the tip of the triangle of Clark and Goliad ..the DI screen sat back a little ways. Mud is pretty accurate ..Floyd's was probably less than a fifty to hundred feet south of Shakey's. Or if the screen sat further back than I recall maybe's Floyd's was right across...
I forgot if i looked but is the building still standing? Also was surprised the Mcduff sign is still up. Is that where the drive in was?

Old 06-30-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I forgot if i looked but is the building still standing? Also was surprised the Mcduff sign is still up. Is that where the drive in was?
No there's a "Firestone" tire center there now. The building sits back further south possibly about where the Drive-in screen was. So north of that is parking lot which is likely where Shakey's was. Still in the triangle tip. Floyd's is almost directly across from the Firestone building. I'm thinking Shakey's was probably just about where Firestone's tall sign is near the tip.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:42 PM

Thanks I drove by there and was curious if the building was still there and from you tell me its a no, amazing how that area near Goliad and SE Military has changed.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:03 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times
Default Yes, mudpuddle,It was

It was a very fast Bonneville, in its' day. The reason being the rear wheel sprocket had 19 teeth. In 1972-1/2
only , that was the time when the Triumph 650 Bonneville recieved an upgrade to a 5 speed transmission. The
following year, 1973, 19 tooth rear sprockets were installed onto the five speed upgraded Bonnevilles. But for six months they were manufactured like that, with the old 650cc 22 tooth sprocket, and only in 1972-1/2 . It was fast, fast alright in the quarter mile. It would do a wheel stand in third gear, nothing nowadays but back then that wasn't bad for a Triumph. I did not know this when I bought the thing.
HDs' were not a problem. 900 BMW left by six lengths, 750 Honda Four, a 1/2 length. The Honda guy was so upset by this defeat he coudn't believe it. Had to go three times, before he finally would admit to it. A Kawasaki 900 Four could beat the old girl though. But it was an extremely dated engine design, virtually unchanged since the first 1946 model. The 72 and 1/2 model Triumph Bonnevilles still sell at a premium price. Even if it is an oil reservoir in the frame model vs an external oil tank model which are usually valued at a higher price by collectors.
The external engine oil reservoir models look better, I had a nineteen sixty eight Triumph also.
Some day I will buy another Bonneville. If well maintained they were very dependable.
Watch the movie-"The Worlds Fastest Indian" with actor Anthony Hopkins.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:10 PM

World's Fastest Indian - YouTube

Old 07-01-2012, 01:59 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
interesting read.

you got me confused though on the 19 tooth rear wheel sprocket.

that doesn't make any sense to my little pea brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post

It was a very fast Bonneville, in its' day. The reason being the rear wheel sprocket had 19 teeth. In 1972-1/2
only , that was the time when the Triumph 650 Bonneville recieved an upgrade to a 5 speed transmission. The
following year, 1973, 19 tooth rear sprockets were installed onto the five speed upgraded Bonnevilles. But for six months they were manufactured like that, with the old 650cc 22 tooth sprocket, and only in 1972-1/2 . It was fast, fast alright in the quarter mile. It would do a wheel stand in third gear, nothing nowadays but back then that wasn't bad for a Triumph. I did not know this when I bought the thing.
HDs' were not a problem. 900 BMW left by six lengths, 750 Honda Four, a 1/2 length. The Honda guy was so upset by this defeat he coudn't believe it. Had to go three times, before he finally would admit to it. A Kawasaki 900 Four could beat the old girl though. But it was an extremely dated engine design, virtually unchanged since the first 1946 model. The 72 and 1/2 model Triumph Bonnevilles still sell at a premium price. Even if it is an oil reservoir in the frame model vs an external oil tank model which are usually valued at a higher price by collectors.
The external engine oil reservoir models look better, I had a nineteen sixty eight Triumph also.
Some day I will buy another Bonneville. If well maintained they were very dependable.
Watch the movie-"The Worlds Fastest Indian" with actor Anthony Hopkins.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:12 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times
Default Teeth,

Well mudpuddle the more teeth on the back sprocket the higher the gear ratio, the higher the gear ratio
on a vehicle the faster it is at low speeds, in other words a quicker take-off.
As in an average automoblie, for highway usage the final drive has a gear ratio of perhaps 2.75 to 1. For every one time the drive shaft makes a revolution the rear wheels turn 2.75 times. This gear ratio makes for lower fuel consumption because the engine is turning low r.p.m.s over any given distance to maintain 70m.p.h., but provides not so great acceleration from a dead stop .
When altered for quick acceleration as in a Street Rod or a Dragster 4.11 gears or even higher ratios are used. SO that for every single revolution the drive shaft makes the tires turn 4.11 times. Much faster start off that way because the rear wheels are spinning much faster at the same engine R.P.M. if the final drive gear ratio is higher like this. However at highway speeds an altered final gear ratio car like this may get only 8 or 10 m.p.g.
A motorcycle works the same way. That was a long time ago, that is the best I can remember the specs.
on the Triumph. These people that do trick riding at a dead stop on the Asian bikes have a lot of teeth on the rear sprocket in order to have the control to pull off those stunts at very low, near dead stop speeds.
I hope that helps clarifiy this, in such a short couple of paragrraphs Mud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
interesting read.

you got me confused though on the 19 tooth rear wheel sprocket.

that doesn't make any sense to my little pea brain.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:33 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
haha, I well understand the mathematics of sprocket ratios

in relation to takeoff, top end speed, gas mileage, RPMs, etc

maybe I could have been more clear -

in the memory banks of my little pea brain I cannot remember ever seeing a rear wheel sprocket with only 19 teeth.

even the image you posted of your Triumph shows at least 20 or so teeth

w/o counting under the chainguard etc.

probably upwards of 40 50 on that sprocket

that's what my little peabrain cannot comprende.

the final drive on my current machine is 24 front, 55 at the rear wheel - 2.29

with than combination, timed 1/4 mile, just shifting out of 3rd gear is 115 mph.

next time out, I'll change that 55 tooth rear wheel sprocket to a 57 or 58

maybe up that 115 to 120 or more

and, add wheelie bars, cause I do not like unicycles.

now, on the other hand, if I was wanting to run the Texas Mile at Goliad

I would change that rear wheel sprocket to maybe 52 53 or so.

I would like to run this machine up to 140 150 at least once.

but, again,

my little peabrain just cannot imagine any machine with a 19 tooth sprocket at the rear wheel.

that sprocket would have to be no bigger than the palm of my big old hands...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post

Well mudpuddle the more teeth on the back sprocket the higher the gear ratio, the higher the gear ratio
on a vehicle the faster it is at low speeds, in other words a quicker take-off.
As in an average automoblie, for highway usage the final drive has a gear ratio of perhaps 2.75 to 1. For every one time the drive shaft makes a revolution the rear wheels turn 2.75 times. This gear ratio makes for lower fuel consumption because the engine is turning low r.p.m.s over any given distance to maintain 70m.p.h., but provides not so great acceleration from a dead stop .
When altered for quick acceleration as in a Street Rod or a Dragster 4.11 gears or even higher ratios are used. SO that for every single revolution the drive shaft makes the tires turn 4.11 times. Much faster start off that way because the rear wheels are spinning much faster at the same engine R.P.M. if the final drive gear ratio is higher like this. However at highway speeds an altered final gear ratio car like this may get only 8 or 10 m.p.g.
A motorcycle works the same way. That was a long time ago, that is the best I can remember the specs.
on the Triumph. These people that do trick riding at a dead stop on the Asian bikes have a lot of teeth on the rear sprocket in order to have the control to pull off those stunts at very low, near dead stop speeds.
I hope that helps clarifiy this, in such a short couple of paragrraphs Mud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio