Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
Heusinger is close haha but I think no. maybe.

could you be speaking of Van Hoogenhuyze??

Straus was in the tack business until at least 1934.

my Father's Mother's Father was a collar maker.

ran their collar shop in Oklahoma City up until he died there.

I still have and use some of his leather tools.

AhhA! I was gonna say Van Hoogenhuyse(sp) first but couldn't spell it . I not sure if that's correct! I was on my way to Heusingers I think the day Ira Attebury was shooting up the Battle of Flowers crowd on Broadway. I was passing over on 35... I think Heusingers was near SP Roundhouse on Hackberry maybe ... North of Jones I'm guessing just can't recall at the moment.
I think my dad's side of family came down from Oklahoma..oil field stuff probably. I had to go to Oscar Carvajal's Saddlery shop downtown early 80's. Had some scabbards made to hold shotguns for a front mount truck rack. Removable channel iron plug in racks with swivel seats for bird hunting. Yeah the bunch i worked for hunted on wheels.

Speaking of Judge Roy bean. I visited the "Jersey Lily" at Langtry back in the 80's. Shot a buck on a 29,000 acre lease in nearby Comstock. Crazy hunting stories there.

I had a bunch of leather tools at one time. Some from Tandy and some old stuff. Wish I still had them. Guess they got tossed or lost somewhere along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I remember Perry Shankle. Remember The Paul Anderson Company? When you need lumber call our number Dittmar. Dittmar Lumber. How about Alamo Bolt and Screw? Nationwide paper next to that ancient envelope manufacturer.
My Grandfather purchased all his pens and stationary at Paul Anderson, I remember the downtown location and the one on Fred Rd.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
that would be Five Points Cafe and Repeat at Pete's.
yeah Allen and Allen is still right there at Culebra and Fred Rd.

I'm in there quite often.

I miss the fried rabbit and Pete's.

Pete had a big Macaw on a perch and literally an ocean of alcohol.
mud
There is a barbershop at 5 points that has a pic of repeat at Pete's and that corner taken in the 80's. The Murf's was still there.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:53 PM

4 posts, read 11,539 times
Default Race with the Devil movie filming locations near San Antonio - Possible Spoilers

This is a great forum, and I'm happy I found it. I've been looking for filming location for a low-budget 1975 movie, Race with the Devil. It's a classic drive-in type of movie about two couples in an RV trying to escape from Satanists, and it's pretty good example of the genre.

The movie was filmed all around the San Antonio area, and I'm hoping people here can help me fill in the blanks for the movie locations. Here are the locations I've figured out so far (in no particular order):

- Gas Station - It was a post from a user called 940 in
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...tml#post187378 that led me to this forum. Apparently, this was a station called "Red's" located
Quote:
at the eastern corner where Potranco Rd and Talley Rd deadends.
Apparently, Red's is is no longer standing, and the area is dramatically different.

- Racetrack - the former Pan American Speedway in Live Oak closed in 1978

- Country Bar - Arkey Blue's Silver Dollar in Bandera is still open

I'm looking for any help in finding the following filming sites:

- The initial campsite - The couples stop the RV in an apparently remote spot on a river. According to Wikipedia, the spot is on the Frio River. Does anybody now exactly where this is?
Spoiler

- RV Park - The RV later stops at an RV park that's set on a hillside, and the place does have a swimming pool. The DVD commentary only says that the park was somewhere between San Antonio and San Marcos. Does anybody have any suggestions to where this place is, or was?

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions in finding those locations. Thank You.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:34 PM

Ok wanted to ask everyone here, does anyone remember a bar called Dan's? I think it was over on Culebra near where alamo ranch is at?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:53 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
You talking about Dan's, over at Potranco and 1604 - old gas station, became a bar?

Old 07-09-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
You talking about Dan's, over at Potranco and 1604 - old gas station, became a bar?
Yes that one, ok was trying to remember if it was on Potranco or Culebra.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:45 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,842,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBuff View Post
This is a great forum, and I'm happy I found it. I've been looking for filming location for a low-budget 1975 movie, Race with the Devil. It's a classic drive-in type of movie about two couples in an RV trying to escape from Satanists, and it's pretty good example of the genre.

The movie was filmed all around the San Antonio area, and I'm hoping people here can help me fill in the blanks for the movie locations. Here are the locations I've figured out so far (in no particular order):

- Gas Station - It was a post from a user called 940 in
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...tml#post187378 that led me to this forum. Apparently, this was a station called "Red's" located Apparently, Red's is is no longer standing, and the area is dramatically different.

- Racetrack - the former Pan American Speedway in Live Oak closed in 1978

- Country Bar - Arkey Blue's Silver Dollar in Bandera is still open

I'm looking for any help in finding the following filming sites:

- The initial campsite - The couples stop the RV in an apparently remote spot on a river. According to Wikipedia, the spot is on the Frio River. Does anybody now exactly where this is?
Spoiler

- RV Park - The RV later stops at an RV park that's set on a hillside, and the place does have a swimming pool. The DVD commentary only says that the park was somewhere between San Antonio and San Marcos. Does anybody have any suggestions to where this place is, or was?

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions in finding those locations. Thank You.
I had a cousin that owned the Diamond store and the land where the film was made. His name was Fentress Laidley and his wife was Leila. She was in the movie. She was the lady in the rocking chair in the store. (this is in reference to "Race with the Devil".)

Old 07-11-2012, 01:27 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,842,881 times
This is the 130th anniversary of the shooting of Jack Harris by Ben Thompson at the Vaudeville theatre in San Antonio, July 11, 1882. I put together the centennial in 1982.
Here's a link to my photobucket site: http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/g...Jack%20Harris/
Here is a good article on the subject from my dear friend Alice Evett Geron: http://watercresspress.com/Fatal-Corner.htm

Last edited by gy2020; 07-11-2012 at 01:40 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 07:26 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
gy2020, I have a strong interest in the formative years of San Antonio. Got a lot of the early pics too. The one you have in your file showing the Vaudeville theater, the business next door at one time was Koenigriem & Co. The actual theater was previously a business called Schleyer & Bailey, then became the Plaza House Theater, and sometime around the early part of 1882, became the Vaudeville Theater. In your pic, just to the left of center, it appears that there are folks standing on a balcony. The upper story building just to their right, above the Theater, was an addition that would have been new at the time. Just to the right of the Theater, back in the 1860's is where the Union troops surrendered to the Confederacy. It's also the same location that Sibley formed his troops to fight on the frontier against the Yanks and got beat up at The Battle of Glorietta Pass. My Great, Great grandfather was a surgeon with Sibley's Texas Mounted Rifles on that adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio