Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 06:03 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,077,044 times

Advertisements

I am really enjoying these recollections.

Mud, how do you access the files/images of the old San Antonio Light?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 AM

847 posts, read 2,232,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
I am really enjoying these recollections.

Mud, how do you access the files/images of the old San Antonio Light?
LL, that would be ancestry.com.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I had some old street guides I wish I still had. Not that old but pretty old. Not surprised to see Mitchell St. already way back then. Probably named after Asa Mitchell as was the notorious Lake south of town. He was involved in city gov at one time If I recall correctly. Is Baumberger's mausoleum in Mission South? I've seen plenty there but mostly when younger. I think you posted it in "where's this location" thread.

Shows Judge Roy Beans residence I assume north of Alamo St. which may have been Aransas st. at that time. I guess he didn't live on the dairy property. I wonder how long the Voss family were in Beantown area.. Wasn't it you that I had some conversation with about their old building on Glenn? Voss Iron Works or Voss Metal Works.. I remember it for years with the open windows and such upstairs. Work going on downstairs. I've been in the family home there nearby. Pretty neat house old home.
yessir Baumberger is at Mission South.

Voss in Beanville. don't know the answer.
yes we discussed that a little and if I remember you brought up Roy Bean.

I don't quite follow what you're saying about showing Bean's residence.

according to the old map Alamo St changed names to Aransas at the flour mill.

interesting to see the ways street names have changed.

E Commerce became N Commerce at Monumental
what is now Hedges was back then more of E Commerce.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:00 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
LL, that would be ancestry.com.

yessir Baumberger is at Mission South.

Voss in Beanville. don't know the answer.
yes we discussed that a little and if I remember you brought up Roy Bean.

I don't quite follow what you're saying about showing Bean's residence.

according to the old map Alamo St changed names to Aransas at the flour mill.

interesting to see the ways street names have changed.

E Commerce became N Commerce at Monumental
what is now Hedges was back then more of E Commerce.

Thanks for the Baumberger info Mud. I might have seen the thing just don't recall. On Beans address the list you posted showed his residence on Arsenal or somewhere up there. Just figured he lived at the dairy which was supposed to be there at Glenn and the river. On Aransas St. I was thinking back of reading of the SAAP Railroad. When the Station was at Flores and Alamo where the Salvation Army is now ...or was. I saw a map of some kind where I thought it indicated Alamo from Flores east to the river at least was Aransas St. We all know Aransas is in a bit different location these days. That's all I was thinking of. Any of those things could have changed numerous times over the years.

This reminds me of reading who Pereida Street was named for. I read a lady that worked for Hertzberg Jewelers wound up owning it in the end. Her name was Pereida. Here's the story for those that are unfamiliar.

GOODMAN, PETRONILA MARIA PEREIDA | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

Old 07-07-2012, 09:49 AM

Good story on Pereida.

actually a piece of Aransas is on that last part of the map at the lower right hand corner.

and on there also, Durango was Victoria.

Found a real good history with pix of the South Flores Depot here.............
History (San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad) - Texas Transportation Museum
Quote:
Thanks for the Baumberger info Mud. I might have seen the thing just don't recall. On Beans address the list you posted showed his residence on Arsenal or somewhere up there. Just figured he lived at the dairy which was supposed to be there at Glenn and the river. On Aransas St. I was thinking back of reading of the SAAP Railroad. When the Station was at Flores and Alamo where the Salvation Army is now ...or was. I saw a map of some kind where I thought it indicated Alamo from Flores east to the river at least was Aransas St. We all know Aransas is in a bit different location these days. That's all I was thinking of. Any of those things could have changed numerous times over the years.

This reminds me of reading who Pereida Street was named for. I read a lady that worked for Hertzberg Jewelers wound up owning it in the end. Her name was Pereida. Here's the story for those that are unfamiliar.

GOODMAN, PETRONILA MARIA PEREIDA | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

Old 07-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Good story on Pereida.

actually a piece of Aransas is on that last part of the map at the lower right hand corner.

and on there also, Durango was Victoria.

Found a real good history with pix of the South Flores Depot here.............
History (San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad) - Texas Transportation Museum
I'm sure that is one of the one's I read a couple or 3 or 4 years back. I thought it was great that the depot's benches ended up and are still at the Little Rhein Steak House. Straus Frank had some old photos on it's walls inside. Back in the 1800's they were in the saddlery and/or tack business. So many businesses that had docks served by the Railroads have gone. Especially in the area between S. Flores and Probandt. South of Alamo and north of West Cevallos st.

I've forgotten the name of the old hardware business that was just south of Alamo on S. Flores behind where Straus Frank used to be. Heusinger I think it was! Further south on Flores was Perry Shankle (next to the tracks) now long gone. Joske's of Texas warehouse was off Probandt just north of Lone Star Blvd next to the tracks.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:00 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,546,297 times
I remember Perry Shankle. Remember The Paul Anderson Company? When you need lumber call our number Dittmar. Dittmar Lumber. How about Alamo Bolt and Screw? Nationwide paper next to that ancient envelope manufacturer.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I remember Perry Shankle. Remember The Paul Anderson Company? When you need lumber call our number Dittmar. Dittmar Lumber. How about Alamo Bolt and Screw? Nationwide paper next to that ancient envelope manufacturer.
Yep, all those and Reed Candle Co. I don't think Industrial Communications is around anymore. Tampco "We move the world" I think was their motto. Modern Electrotex..Allen and Allen not sure if they've gone. The skillet fried rabbit place and liquor store at 5 points. Howard Stitch.."A stitch in Time"...

Old 07-07-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:

The skillet fried rabbit place and liquor store at 5 points. ******
that would be Five Points Cafe and Repeat at Pete's.
yeah Allen and Allen is still right there at Culebra and Fred Rd.

I'm in there quite often.

I miss the fried rabbit and Pete's.

Pete had a big Macaw on a perch and literally an ocean of alcohol.
mud

Old 07-07-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
that would be Five Points Cafe and Repeat at Pete's.
yeah Allen and Allen is still right there at Culebra and Fred Rd.

I'm in there quite often.

I miss the fried rabbit and Pete's.

Pete had a big Macaw on a perch and literally an ocean of alcohol.
mud
Ah Repeat at Pete's Yeppers! Five Points Cafe ...guess it should have been easy to remember but my memory is failing lately. Thanks Mud! I don't think I ever set foot in the Cafe ...or the liquor store.
Yeah, Ive spent some time and $$ in Allen & Allen's. Many years ago. Croft Trailer rental is gone.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Straus Frank had some old photos on it's walls inside.
Back in the 1800's they were in the saddlery and/or tack business.

I've forgotten the name of the old hardware business that was just south of Alamo on S. Flores
behind where Straus Frank used to be. Heusinger I think it was!
Heusinger is close haha but I think no. maybe.

could you be speaking of Van Hoogenhuyze??

Straus was in the tack business until at least 1934.

my Father's Mother's Father was a collar maker.

ran their collar shop in Oklahoma City up until he died there.

I still have and use some of his leather tools.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio