Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 05:16 AM

457 posts, read 661,611 times

Advertisements

Don't know if it's still an H.E.B, there have been some changes over the years with some H.E.B. locations.

You are correct it was Zipps Pharmacy ( Zimms ice house has always been a spoiler in the identification of Zipps... and still is

Zipps will always hold a special place in time, as it was the one place I was allowed (by her family) to take my first girlfriend! She and her family lived one block East of Zimms. Her name was Sandra Padgitt, and she, at 14, was a drop-dead double for Kim Novak! (which should explain Zimms was the most distant place we could visit without "adult supervision"!) I believe her dad was in the military, as they only lived there for about a year. To this day, whenever I see an old photo of a young Ms Novak, the first thing that comes to mind is: Sandra Padgitt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Don't know if it's still an H.E.B, there have been some changes over the years with some H.E.B. locations.

You are correct it was Zipps Pharmacy ( Zimms ice house has always been a spoiler in the identification of Zipps... and still is

Zipps will always hold a special place in time, as it was the one place I was allowed (by her family) to take my first girlfriend! She and her family lived one block East of Zimms. Her name was Sandra Padgitt, and she, at 14, was a drop-dead double for Kim Novak! (which should explain Zimms was the most distant place we could visit without "adult supervision"!) I believe her dad was in the military, as they only lived there for about a year. To this day, whenever I see an old photo of a young Ms Novak, the first thing that comes to mind is: Sandra Padgitt!

Oops, there it is again...! The above should read "...one block East of ZIPPS "

Old 08-20-2014, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 7,303 times
Default Hello again Basse Bud

If you lived (or live) on Basse (used to be called Basse Road), we lived on Laurelwood. Directly across the alley behind us (on Basse) lived a family with the surname, Paris. Does that name ring a bell? I remember my parent's phone number starting with DI...(as in Diamond). Anyway, no new news here. I like to browse this board on oldie things from way back yonder. Thanks for your in-put; any more will be greatly appreciated. Take care, JEE.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:14 PM

Actually, I didn't live on Basse, I use the Basse Bud more as a location identification.

The only family name on Basse that I recognize is the Light (sp) family. They were the farming family that owned the land now occupied by the church on Basse at Capitol. I remember the old family farmhouse, and the two younger sons living there at the time. Seems one was named Edward.

Interestingly, if one lived on the south side of Basse, the schools attended were Northside ISD, whereas if you lived on the north side of Basse, you were in the Northeast ISD! Basse Road, at that time, was the northern San Antonio city limit!

I attended E A Neal elementary the first year it was opened. (Northside ISD)

Like remembering old things, huh? How about the one-room schoolhouse located on Blanco at Jackson-Keller? (The present site of Nimitz(?). What I find even more remarkable is the fact that the El Montan motel on San Pedro retained the same name for so many years, when seems like all the other businesses changed names or disappeared.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:44 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,161 times
Quote:

Like remembering old things, huh? How about the one-room schoolhouse located on Blanco at Jackson-Keller? (The present site of Nimitz(?).
I've mentioned the schoolhouse here before.

what do you remember about it??

rather than retype, I'll quote myself from posting #3123 feb 2013.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
my grandmother told me about her education
at a little schoolhouse would now be the southeast corner of Blanco and Jackson Keller.

Nimitz is there now, and I remember when it was built.

wooda been late 1950s early 60s.

we lived a stones throw from there.

to the north where South Seas Apts is was mesquite and cactus.

and an old farmhouse. Uhr's place. old man ure.

to the South was the Baumberger Estate complete with peacocks and shetland ponies.

8 9 10 years old, we were all over all of it.

including the schoolhouse which was still *furnished*.

etc etc

Old 08-21-2014, 11:28 PM

Mud,

Pretty much as you describe. I believe it was still in use when we moved to the Northside of town (1951-52), although, I could be mistaken . In any event, the outside water fountain still worked when we "explored" the site shortly after arriving.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Mud,

Pretty much as you describe. I believe it was still in use when we moved to the Northside of town (1951-52), although, I could be mistaken . In any event, the outside water fountain still worked when we "explored" the site shortly after arriving.
did you all "explore" the Baumberger Estate??
ride the shetland ponies, etc??

what about old man ure's place??

Old 08-23-2014, 10:04 PM

Mud,

No, we, being the obedient, well behaved kids we were (yeah, right!) didn't venture(outwardly) on to other people's property unless invited. While still pre-teen in those days, we did pretty much as we were told. And we were told NOT to enter other peoples property without permission or being invited. A few years later, that advice waned a bit. Perhaps the evolving, Brylcream duck-tails were a bit off-putting to the respectable folks.

It was only after we moved from the neighborhood that my pals did mention there were some nice folks living "up the hill"
and were kind and friendly to the well-behaved kids in the neighborhood. ( With us being "south of Basse" questionable's, we /they were still viewed with a bit of skepticism! Maybe it was because we didn't live close enough to the "facilities" on Oblate ?)

Old 08-24-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Mud,

No, we, being the obedient, well behaved kids we were (yeah, right!) didn't venture(outwardly) on to other people's property unless invited. While still pre-teen in those days, we did pretty much as we were told. And we were told NOT to enter other peoples property without permission or being invited. A few years later, that advice waned a bit. Perhaps the evolving, Brylcream duck-tails were a bit off-putting to the respectable folks.

It was only after we moved from the neighborhood that my pals did mention there were some nice folks living "up the hill"
and were kind and friendly to the well-behaved kids in the neighborhood. ( With us being "south of Basse" questionable's, we /they were still viewed with a bit of skepticism! Maybe it was because we didn't live close enough to the "facilities" on Oblate ?)
this reply is hilarious. thanks.

Brylcream. BrylcrEEm - a little dab'll do ya.

question here - what "facilities" were on Oblate??

yessir. we were bad. we even rode the horses at Palmer's Nursery.
that was on the southside of the Olmos Creek.

and we picked golf balls out of the Olmos Creek next to Joe Conrad's 19th Hole.

we even jumped the fence
and then jumped on the trampolines there next to the Rollercade.
God forbid, when they were closed.

we jumped off the roofs of two story houses.

old man ure/Uhr's farm was deserted.
butt, we neighborhood guys n gals would go there and run around naked.
in the daytime.

Ok. now I'm losin track. let's see.

OH yeah.

the Oblate College had 2 or 3 swimming pools in the 50s 60s
one was a really deep diving pool
we moonlight dipped in all of them.

and then, later, when we were teenagers,
there was the Mt Sacred Heart Boy's School swimming pool.
really nice "facility".
my girlfriend and I and a friend and his girlfriend
would jump the back fence late at night and go skinny dippin.

that ended after our 3rd or 4th *trip*
when we disrobed and boom
penguins were running at us from behind every tree on the property.

I bet they laughed about that for months.

I could go on and on, butt, I'm tired of typing..........

Old 08-24-2014, 08:20 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
Shame, shame, shame on you Mud! Ol Man Uhr was a relative of mine. He was the only person I ever knew that reloaded 22 LR ammo in a shack in the back. He used some kind of liquid he kept in a refrigerator his wife called nitro glycerin for the primer and he cast his own bullets. I have no idea where he got the liquid priming stuff or if it was nitro but it scared her to death. That was a LONG time ago. I only have faint memories of it but he was a dandy old man. Last time I saw his son, he was doing guided hunts all over Texas. I'm thinking the boy is older than either of us so he might not even be around anymore. I'd have to look in our family history book to tell you how he was related but I think he was married to one of my grandfathers sisters. Memories, if only half the above is right I'll be surprised. The shack could have been at the old home place just south of Bulverde where the families all settled back in the 1800's. I know he shot a lot out there. He loved the old Schuetzen rifle stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio