Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2014, 09:25 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,272 times

Advertisements

In a rare GBNF place is coming back, todays EN reported Frontier Burgers are making a big return. That is great news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The last time I saw a horny toad (as we called them as kids) was in El Paso around 1991 or so. He was basking in the sun in the middle of a busy street. I caught him, and took him out to the desert and turned him loose. Horny toads were very common while I was growing up in the late 50s and 60s. I was able to catch a few every day on the site where West Avenue Elementary School now stands. There were lots of red ants there too. That was the horny toad's favorite meal. Those striped lizards were common there, too, but they were so fast I rarely could catch one. I always released all the critters I caught as a child. I knew they made lousy pets, and were hard to feed.

I heard that the horny toad's demise is being caused by highways, because they like to bask in the heat on them, they blend with the road, and get run over, and because of fire ants doing away with red ants, and also fire ants killing baby horny toads when they hatch and are young. I know fire ants really prey on hatchling desert box turtles that were prevalent in west Texas and Southern New Mexico.

Texas horned lizard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Actually, I have a seen a couple lately in my neighborhood, my dog tries to chase them. Also, A couple of years ago, I was at one of the Spanish missions with my wife, and we saw a whole bunch of them running across the sidewalk and hiding in the bushes. Until then, though, I hadn't seen them since the early 1980's.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post

Bobby Thomas. I heard he died many years ago. Apparently not. I don't suppose you know anything about Roy Holland? It's been about 20 years since I chatted with him. Worked with Buddy Cortinas's brother for a while, about 15 years ago. I'd still love to have that Nova CKC raced back in the day.
I knew Roy Holland back in the old days working out at Camelot on Ray Ellison houses. He always drove some hot cars around the job. El Caminos with 454's and such. Buddy is a close friend Of my brother Frank. I remember when he drove The Green Monster.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 7,303 times
Default Hello

I was brought home from the Nix hospital to my relatively young parents home on Laurelwood Dr. in Allena Village on Jan. 25, 1952. After my brother was born 14 months later and after 8 yrs. passed, we moved to Harmony Hills. My second wife and I (she and I both graduated from Churchill in 1970 - first four-year straight students) re-met at our forty year H.S. reunion in 2010, and married 3 months later.

As much as I loved S.A. and have millions of memories, I have one question: Does anyone remember "Zipps" drug store (and soda fountain) way back when? I'm glad I found this site. My wife and I live here in Lake Charles, LA.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:44 PM

457 posts, read 661,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jechterhoff View Post
I was brought home from the Nix hospital to my relatively young parents home on Laurelwood Dr. in Allena Village on Jan. 25, 1952. After my brother was born 14 months later and after 8 yrs. passed, we moved to Harmony Hills. My second wife and I (she and I both graduated from Churchill in 1970 - first four-year straight students) re-met at our forty year H.S. reunion in 2010, and married 3 months later.

As much as I loved S.A. and have millions of memories, I have one question: Does anyone remember "Zipps" drug store (and soda fountain) way back when? I'm glad I found this site. My wife and I live here in Lake Charles, LA.

Yes, remember it well. Enjoyed my first chocolate coke there, about the time you were arriving
home for the first time!

I spent the day eating the free hot dogs and drinking free cokes, (along with riding the mini-ferris wheel)
at HEB's grand opening in Allena Village. Do you remember the Butcher Boys on Blanco? Slims Garage?
Grahams cycle shop? Mambo's (the original on Blanco at Lovera(?)? Mrs. Raley's cake shop? the Dairy Queen on Blanco @ San Angelo ? Don't know how may survived after 1960... but do remember Zimms!
(Zimm's was the only alternative to the coin operated machines found in various gas stations, but none of
our gang had the ....ahem! ... to actually ask the pharmacist for them..and we damn sure wouldn't have asked one of the lady assistants back in the pharmacy section! Having a handful of quarters and visiting the service station was much less embarrassing!)

Old 08-07-2014, 04:23 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jechterhoff View Post

As much as I loved S.A. and have millions of memories, I have one question:

Does anyone remember "Zipps" drug store (and soda fountain) way back when? I'm glad I found this site. My wife and I live here in Lake Charles, LA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Yes, remember it well. Enjoyed my first chocolate coke there, about the time you were arriving
home for the first time!

I spent the day eating the free hot dogs and drinking free cokes, (along with riding the mini-ferris wheel)
at HEB's grand opening in Allena Village. Do you remember the Butcher Boys on Blanco? Slims Garage?
Grahams cycle shop? Mambo's (the original on Blanco at Lovera(?)? Mrs. Raley's cake shop? the Dairy Queen on Blanco @ San Angelo ? Don't know how may survived after 1960...

but do remember Zimms!
(Zimm's was the only alternative to the coin operated machines found in various gas stations, but none of
our gang had the ....ahem! ... to actually ask the pharmacist for them..and we damn sure wouldn't have asked one of the lady assistants back in the pharmacy section! Having a handful of quarters and visiting the service station was much less embarrassing!)

BB, just out of curiosity, how did you get from Zipp's to Zimms??

I don't remember Zipp's, I do remember Zimm's.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:47 PM

Mud..and others..

Having a senior moment here, sorry. Zipps Pharmacy, on the north end of Allena Village was, I believe, one of the "anchor" stores at Allena Village.

Zimms Ice House, Blanco and Clower, was always a contributor to the Zimms/Zipps confusion ( in later years, even more so!) Blanco Rd had several Ice Houses from Hildebrand north to Loop 13 (how's that for dating?).

My first "real job" was at the ice house on Blanco and Venice. It was owned/managed by the fiddle player for Red River Dave's band. I was paid .10 an hour for separating and correctly "boxing" the empty soft drink bottles (deposit, .02 each)

Old 08-11-2014, 09:53 PM

Default Thanks for your replies!

How about this? I remember taking my first guitar lessons at "Music Mart" there in the center of the strip mall. I believe the grocery store at that corner was Piggly Wiggly and across Blanco was my grand-parent's (they lived on Laurelwood also) favorite bakery (mine too! great Cream-Puffs), Mrs. Raley's? (SP?) Here's another: I remember when they set up the huge spot-lights in that parking lot and they'd shine way up in the sky and could be seen from miles away! Winn's five and dime was in the middle of that strip center also. My Dad was the deputy chief federal probation and parole officer for over 30 yrs. We moved to Harmony Hills in 1961. What a life!! JEE.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:00 AM

If you are referring to Allena Village, the grocery store at the south end was an H.E.B store. Don't recall the spotlights at Allena Village, however, Bowlarama (sp) used them frequently.

Yes, Mrs. Raley's cake shop was a favorite of many. Always had that delightful "bakery" aroma drifting around that
corner of Blanco and Basse.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:58 PM

Yes, Allena Village. I stand corrected, it was (maybe still is) H.E.B. It was Zipps drug store. JEE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio