Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 10:50 PM

457 posts, read 661,526 times

Advertisements

Mud,

Thanks for the assist. My internet connection is a very slow 3G ( more like a 1G!).

During WWII my uncle, stationed at Ft. Sam at the time, and my aunt lived at Grande
Courts. As a youngster, I spent a great deal of time with them. Being so close to the zoo
was a real treat, as we visited the zoo and the Sunken Gardens regularly. The pony rides
at the stables were always exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 03:02 AM

176 posts, read 357,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Having been away from SA for many years, I was very surprised when I wandered with Google Earth, only to find almost nothing of the landmarks I grew up taking for granted!

The Richter Butter Crust bakery on Broadway! (and the Toddle House north of Richters)
Playland Park! (ditto)
Wolfe's Inn!
Bluebonnet Hotel!
Coney Island on St. Marys across from the Empire theatre!
Hertzberg Jewelers, corner Houston and St.Marys!
The Tiffany Lounge on Houston!

The 1950's SA airport terminal! (even if there were only 5 airlines serving SA in those days - and only one of those airlines still exist!) It was named San Antonio Municipal Airport!

So, my question is: What's to become of San Antonio Municipal Auditorium? Acoustically, perhaps one of the best live music venues in the country.
There was also a Toddle House on Harry Wurzbach between Austin Hwy and Rittiman. I remember Hertzberg Jewelers which closed around 1998 or so.

Remember the Seven Oaks Sheraton on Austin Highway?

Old 01-14-2014, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveCassettes View Post
There was also a Toddle House on Harry Wurzbach between Austin Hwy and Rittiman. I remember Hertzberg Jewelers which closed around 1998 or so.

Remember the Seven Oaks Sheraton on Austin Highway?
The Toddle House on Wurzbach is a relatively recent arrival, post 1968.

I didn't realize Hertzbergs survived that long. Assuming the location on St. Marys and Houston.

Yes, I remember the Seven Oaks Country Club. The pool there made for bearable summers
for several years. My parents were members, as were we, by extension.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 PM

136 posts, read 332,015 times
Toddle House ! Brings back yummy memories of their cream refrigerator pies; best I have ever tasted. My Dad was an engineer and traveled a lot, and sometimes took me with him when school was out to give Mom a break for a week or so. We ate in a lot of Toddle Houses. I particularly remember their open face roast beef sandwiches with gravy, and there was always pie at the end. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Toddle House ! Brings back yummy memories of their cream refrigerator pies; best I have ever tasted. My Dad was an engineer and traveled a lot, and sometimes took me with him when school was out to give Mom a break for a week or so. We ate in a lot of Toddle Houses. I particularly remember their open face roast beef sandwiches with gravy, and there was always pie at the end. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy.
Boss,
Your reminding me of the Toddle House is making me hungry! The Toddle House on Broadway, next
to the Butter Crust bakery, could not have been in a better location. The aroma of fresh bread (very intentional, by the way) and a convenient place to eat? What could be better?

Old 01-19-2014, 08:34 AM

847 posts, read 2,232,902 times
Quote:
Mud,

please post the photo's you mentioned. Thanks.
sorry for the delay BB. I forgot.

why the interest in these two addresses??

above Arlington Arms 01 14 2014

below San Pedro Arms 01 14 2014

Old 01-19-2014, 07:23 PM

MUD,

Again, excellent photos! My interest is that the family lived near each of these buildings, some 60+
years ago. As is so well documented in your photos, they remain as they were all those years ago.

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 PM

Default Anyone remember...?

In the late 1950's, Northeast High School/Garner Jr High had, what at the time, seemed,
an unusual series of misfortunes befall the student population.

On one occasion an early morning event occurred as students were arriving for their
morning classes. A twin-engine private plane departing northward from San Antonio Municipal Airport, crashed at the intersection of Bitters and Wetmore road. The crash took the lives of those on-board
the aircraft and two students who were driving to class at Northeast High School. Needless to say,
the students and staff were devastated by this accident. A very somber, quiet mood prevailed for
several days as grieving classmates mourned the losses.

Another incident, which could have easily been a scene from any number of "youth-oriented" movies
of the day, cost another classmate his life. What occurred seems to have been re-told, revised or
otherwise confused as the years have passed. Without going into much detail, as was related by
others who witnessed the tragic, unnecessary event, the apparent teen bravado that caused the
incident remains with us to this day. My classmate's name was Bobby Renfro.

To those who recoil in horror at the seemingly endless parade of school violence these days, be advised
this is nothing new. It has always existed and in a free country, always will. Lunacy, whether organic or
culturally inspired, cannot be legislated out of existence. As has been quoted in one form or another
since the beginning of recorded history, "there are no guarantees...".

The students of Northeast/Garner who experienced these event learned a hard lesson....
"there are no guarantees.." Likewise, some are Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:58 AM

847 posts, read 2,232,902 times
Quote:

My classmate's name was Bobby Renfro.

any relation to Dickie Renfro??

Old 01-20-2014, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,766 times
Mud,

I came across your thread by trying to find out some history on "Beanville School" which is now Hillcrest Elementary on Malone & S. Flores. I was wondering if you have any information about it. All I could find was that it was built in 1907. I do believe it started as a two room school house. It was renamed "Hillcrest Elementary" in 1919. I really enjoyed your information about the area and the pictures! Awesome!
And, I too am familiar with the Iron Works buildings on Glenn. I always loved those buildings. I can just imagine what kind of stories those walls could tell.

jib
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio