Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,999 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember a Mexican restaurant at 11319 West Ave near the intersection of Patricia close to Churchill H.S. in the mid to late 70's? It was a Mexican Restaurant owned by the nicest Asian woman. The food was excellent and I remember them having a coy pond inside the restaurant. It has been several restaurants since then and I believe the restaurant in the bldg. now is called the Spice of Life Catering. My mother use to take me there on Wednesday evenings and it is still some of my fondest memories with my mother. There was also a waiter from Mexico who worked there named Fernando who became a family friend and my understanding also became quite a famous painter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 05:57 PM

136 posts, read 332,015 times
" I remember them having a coy pond inside the restaurant."

Sujacka, the big goldfish looking guys in the pond are Japanese Koi fish, not coy fish. Not being the grammar sheriff, just a big fan of Japanese Koi for years. They come in hundreds of colors and can get as big as 5 pounds. They're great to watch.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,994,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
" I remember them having a coy pond inside the restaurant."

Sujacka, the big goldfish looking guys in the pond are Japanese Koi fish, not coy fish. Not being the grammar sheriff, just a big fan of Japanese Koi for years. They come in hundreds of colors and can get as big as 5 pounds. They're great to watch.
Maybe the Koi were being shy or modest!

Seriously, I know Koi are mutated carp and that goldfish are mutated Koi.

I used to keep black moors, bubble eyes, comets, orandas, fantails, pearlscales, lionheads, ryukins, pom poms, shubunkins, tosakins, celestial eyes (my favorites), etc. back in college. I miss having 'em, they're a pain to keep but they were always cool to watch, especially at night!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-15-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Seriously, I know Koi are mutated carp and that goldfish are mutated Koi.
They're just being modest. According to an old Chinese legend, The Legend of Dragons Gate, they're actually dragon spirits. When a dragon dies, his spirit goes in search of a Koi to inhabit. If they find a Koi with a warrior spirit, the dragon is reborn. So if one goes missing from your pond mysteriously, it's OK, there's a new dragon somewhere.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:52 PM

216 posts, read 399,108 times
I wonder if those same people opened the restaurant just West of Blanco on West ave. It was a real combo platter, Chinese and Mexican. We were working at a strip center close by and ate lunch there everyday. This was in the early 80's. The food was outstanding, especially the puffy tacos. I loved the name either it was a joke or the person who concocted it had no idea of what they were doing the place was called " El Cactus " I guess you could reverse it and call it " The Nopal", any way great food, and where else could you get wontons and salsa, egg rolls and refried beans, fried rice with enchiladas verdes or hot mustard and jalapenos

Old 10-29-2013, 08:36 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,902 times
. . . anyone remember the Steeplechase Bar?? 400 block N St Marys. park the sickle at the curb so you could keep an eye on it. watch the show. Bill's next door would slide a sandwich through the window. yessir, downtown is for tourists now............. appears the site is all forked up for me at this time. crowding everything into one long sentence. of course there is no way to edit. . .

Old 10-31-2013, 04:16 AM

457 posts, read 661,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
. . . anyone remember the Steeplechase Bar?? 400 block N St Marys. park the sickle at the curb so you could keep an eye on it. watch the show. Bill's next door would slide a sandwich through the window. yessir, downtown is for tourists now............. appears the site is all forked up for me at this time. crowding everything into one long sentence. of course there is no way to edit. . .

Mud, roger the problem with the site. Thought it was my being a novice that caused somewhat jumbled replies. Hmmmmm, maybe not.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:35 PM

(Tapping on microphone) This thing workin'? Hello?

Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,932,190 times
Quote:
anyone remember the Steeplechase Bar
Mud, was that the old building that looked like an old barn? If so, at one time that was a general goods store owned by the Rubio family. They are distant relatives. The girls were known for making a living in the upstairs bedrooms. Now that's being able to go to the store, buy feed for the animals, tools, groceries for the family and coming out with a smile on yer face!

Old 11-30-2013, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,464 times
Just found this Mr. M's bumper sticker in the garage, completely forgotten, got at a missions game back in the 70's.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-mr-m.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio