Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 07:15 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times

Advertisements

Malibu is back --what are they gonna do different--slot machines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I remember the summer reading program at the library. You checked out books and after you read them your parent signed off on the list. There were little rewards like stickers and stuff for reading the books. It was really cool. We went once a week and got our fill of books.

I still prefer regular books over electronic format. There's something about holding them in your hand and turning actual pages.

I have a library card still, but have not been since last year.
The Westfall library was where I got my library books, and still is. I had fake Confederate money, but never used them for bookmarks.

I have a Kindle, and I prefer it to books! It's much easier to read from a Kindle than a book.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 PM

464 posts, read 804,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I'm curious if anyone knows about what the land that Retama Springs subdivision out on Lookout Rd used to have on it. Here's a map and it looks like a rather large building or estate was demolished. Also, several other buildings are gone.

Here's an aerial with a street overlay
The large building in the middle could be the "mansion" I heard existed in Selma some years ago. I was told it was located somewhere off Lookout Road. If I remember correctly, I heard it was part of a large farm that had a stable attached. I think there's an equine hospital nearby on Old Evans Road; this stately home may have had something to do with raising horses.

Many years ago the surrounding areas were all farmland and pasture. I've heard that area was quite fertile...it's sad to see the farms fade away.

It's a shame it's all developed now; I'll bet the house looked quite nice back in the day. Just look at the long driveway and landscaping around the building. Very nice for Selma.

Can anyone ID this structure or know the history of that area????

Old 09-23-2010, 06:34 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The Westfall library was where I got my library books, and still is. I had fake Confederate money, but never used them for bookmarks.
Westfall was the one we went to because it was the closes one back in the day. Very cool. I think I remember the confederate bills, too!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 PM

This is another thing gone but not forgotten. I used to buy a radio or a cassette player and replace the batteries. Now --the batteries are so expensive it is cheaper to replace the player!!

Old 09-24-2010, 07:04 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Haven't heard mention of Malibu Grand Prix reopening! Thought they were completely shut down. Attending a B'day this week there.
Verify before you post. I drive by ther everyday. Malibu and Castle Golf & Games were owned by the same company located right next to each other on I-10 & 410. Malibu - the side with be big race track and arcade closed down years ago..and the building was razed about 2 years ago. It is an empty lot with a concrete race track.

THe Original Caste Golf & Games remained open through the years and built a small race track in the miniture golf course. That was renamed Malibu Grand Prix.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:35 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Verify before you post. I drive by ther everyday. Malibu and Castle Golf & Games were owned by the same company located right next to each other on I-10 & 410. Malibu - the side with be big race track and arcade closed down years ago..and the building was razed about 2 years ago. It is an empty lot with a concrete race track.

THe Original Caste Golf & Games remained open through the years and built a small race track in the miniture golf course. That was renamed Malibu Grand Prix.
Give me your number next time I'll verify with you. You live there so you'd know better than I. It's confusing to me and I really don't care. Just attending a Birthday party at "whatever" it's called now. It'll be the last I see of it! I knew part of the mess there had closed years ago. BTW, I made no definitive statement in my post. Other than I'm attending a Bday party at Malibu Grand Prix which is correct! So ....verify what??

Originally Posted by satx56
Quote:
Haven't heard mention of Malibu Grand Prix reopening! Thought they were completely shut down. Attending a B'day this week there.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:59 PM

I was at Northwest Center on Fred. Road and it is all still there. Not Gone Yet. I thought it was gonna be a big hole in the ground by the end of summer

Old 09-25-2010, 07:06 PM

91 posts, read 323,758 times
Northwest Center's days are numbered though. No word yet on when the place will shut down. I'd heard the flea market was already closed. Codes said there were too many problems with the building.

Macgrad89

Old 09-25-2010, 07:21 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
I am a happy Westfall Library patron since we moved inside the loop in March. I love it - it's a nice library and the librarians are awesome. It's also nearly always busy, which is so nice to see. It may not be the mighty mighty Cody branch, but it's hoppin' every time I go in there (which is a lot - at least twice a week).

I've only lived in SA for 13 years, but I sorely miss Bengiamino's which was a wonderful Italian restaurant on Babcock near Huebner. It was only open about two years. It was incredibly good. And of course now there's a Mexican restaurant there. [sarcasm]Because SA needed another Mexican place, since there are TONS of really good Italian restaurants.[/sarcasm]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio