Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 08:26 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I have a panoramic by Goldbeck showing Babe Ruth in the pic which I'm sure was taken in San Antonio. And if you check the link I posted, there are a lot of people that believe Hoffheinz had something to do with the demise of Mission Stadium
RGJ Judge Hoffheinz did move the team out of SA to Shreveport so they would not compete with the newly named Astros. This was done after the 1965 season read it in a book on the history of sports in SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 09:46 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,732,179 times
Shrevport or Amarillo? Story goes is that is was Amarillo...Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get history correct

"But the newspapers weren't completely to blame. Colt .45s/Astros owner Roy Hofheinz, who also controlled a chain of radio stations, wouldn't allow Bullets games to be broadcast on the local affiliate if the Colt .45s were playing at the same time. And more than a few local baseball people suspect there was another reason the team was moved from San Antonio to Amarillo: Hofheinz wanted San Antonio fans to come to Houston and its Astrodome to see pro baseball"

"The Texas League never returned to Mission Stadium. In 1967, when a local group was trying to bring the league back to town, the Astros would not lease the ballpark — but the group was welcome to salvage anything for use at Keefe Stadium, on the campus of St. Mary's University."

"Mission Stadium sat empty for almost 10 years before being torn down in 1974."

Last edited by RGJ; 01-16-2010 at 10:19 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 10:40 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,120 times
This stuff about the Baseball teams is really cool but the only thing that rings a bell is "Hofheinz". I remember the "Hofheinz Pavilion". Was it at the Lone Star Brewery? Maybe Hemisfair?? Pearl? Brackenridge Park?

Old 01-16-2010, 11:32 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,617 times
Quote:
Shrevport or Amarillo? Story goes is that is was Amarillo...Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get history correct

"But the newspapers weren't completely to blame. Colt .45s/Astros owner Roy Hofheinz, who also controlled a chain of radio stations, wouldn't allow Bullets games to be broadcast on the local affiliate if the Colt .45s were playing at the same time. And more than a few local baseball people suspect there was another reason the team was moved from San Antonio to Amarillo: Hofheinz wanted San Antonio fans to come to Houston and its Astrodome to see pro baseball"

"The Texas League never returned to Mission Stadium. In 1967, when a local group was trying to bring the league back to town, the Astros would not lease the ballpark — but the group was welcome to salvage anything for use at Keefe Stadium, on the campus of St. Mary's University."

"Mission Stadium sat empty for almost 10 years before being torn down in 1974."
I have a copy of a book called Bronchos to Spurs, Sports in SA since 1888 and it states Shrevport and then in 1968 we got Minor league bb again.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:55 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
This stuff about the Baseball teams is really cool but the only thing that rings a bell is "Hofheinz". I remember the "Hofheinz Pavilion". Was it at the Lone Star Brewery? Maybe Hemisfair?? Pearl? Brackenridge Park?
Hofheinz Pavilion is in Houston....

Old 01-17-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Hofheinz Pavilion is in Houston....
Ok thanks I used to go Houston for the Rock Concerts (Austin and Dallas too). That was way back in the seventies. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:07 PM

I just thought of something interesting. The Saints and the Vikings are going to play for the Championship. Both of the owners are San Antonio businessmen. I wonder how often that has happened in the history of the NFL?

Old 01-17-2010, 04:15 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,732,179 times
McCombs doesn't own the Vikings anymore. He sold his interest in the Vikings a while back.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:19 PM

113 posts, read 446,026 times
Quote:
McCombs doesn't own the Vikings anymore. He sold his interest in the Vikings a while back.
Yes, in 2005 I believe. Now it's Zygi Wilf.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:30 PM

Oh well..one more thing "Gone but not Forgotten"!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio